Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear overclock.net gurus!

I am currently running on the ASUS H81M-D and am about to upgrade/change my motherboard to the ASUS Maximus VII Formula.

Question 1:
Am I able to do a straightforward swap? (meaning unplug all wires from old mobo, remove from case, install onto case, plug wires, play).

I have read that it is best that you reinstall Windows. Unfortunately it is not as easy as that for me. My PC is custom built and at the time of purchase and installation, the shop helped me to install Windows into my system although I suspect it wasn't an authentic one. Therefore I do not have any copy of windows at my disposal for me to reinstall should I need to after the motherboard upgrade.

A quick check on Control Panel > Systems shows that my windows is genuine and that it shows my Product ID.

Question2:
In case Question 1 is a 'no'. Am i then able to download an ISO image of Windows Installer and use my current Product ID for identification that was displayed and all will be fine and dandy?

Sorry for the probably silly questions but I hope the overclock community would be kind enough to help a noob out. Thanks!

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
If you have your old code of WIndows, then all you need to do is to download the ISO from Microsoft and install it. If it's authentic, just activate by phone. If it isn't, then you'll have to buy a copy.

Otherwise, hardware wise, you can easily just swap everything. The 1150 CPU will be compatible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

If you have your old code of WIndows, then all you need to do is to download the ISO from Microsoft and install it. If it's authentic, just activate by phone. If it isn't, then you'll have to buy a copy.

Otherwise, hardware wise, you can easily just swap everything. The 1150 CPU will be compatible.
Thanks CrazyElf for your reply! I purchased an authentic Windows 8.1 Pro with student discount. Assurance for me that I have an authentic OS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts