Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. A year and half ago I purchased a new system with an Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice, Socket 939) CPU, and you guys helped me OC it. I'm currently running it at 2.4 Ghz (400 Mhz gain). It's on 1.45 V and stays at 42º C at full load, so I think I could push for 2.5 or 2.6 Ghz, but stability is a big issue for me and I'm ok with the current speed.

Thing is, I wanted to go dual core so I just bought a CPU replacement: an X2 4400+ (which I haven't received yet). Without trying to break any records, how fast do you think I could push this new CPU? I'm guessing around 2.5-2.6 Ghz, no? Of course, I won't know until I've tried but I'd like to know the statistics on this CPU.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
From what I've read, the core/stepping seems to be the x factor with X2's. At any rate, I think your 2.5-6 seems pretty reasonable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's a Toledo core. I don't know about the stepping. I'll post more info as soon as I get the CPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,111 Posts
i dont remember my core i think manchester but i could be wrong. I only got to 2.4 stable.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
Aim high. I say 3 GHz. If you undershoot, you'll never know what it could have done. Just my thoughts on the matter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

Aim high. I say 3 GHz. If you undershoot, you'll never know what it could have done. Just my thoughts on the matter...

I understand your point, and of course I'll try to push it as far as I can, but it has to be quite stable and relatively cool (say < 50° C), or it won't do any good for me. I use this machine for music production and data processing, and if it hangs it'll ufck up my work


I think 2.5-2.6 should be no problem. 2.7-2.8 would be great. But 3.0 with air cooling and my crappy power source? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, the X2 should be here by tomorrow. Meanwhile, I might try to squeeze 2.5 Ghz out of my 3200+. Last time I tried, the system wouldn't even boot.

Peace.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
Oh, didn't see PSU.

Ya, 2.6 is a good number to shoot for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
^^^Idiot...ban hammer time...anyhoo i think 2.5-2.6ghz is pretty achievable..if you aim too high and you dont get that overclock you will be disappointed..like when i got my 3200 venice..my goal was 2.6ghz and i got there, albeit with very high vcore..any higher just wasnt possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

..like when i got my 3200 venice..my goal was 2.6ghz and i got there, albeit with very high vcore..any higher just wasnt possible.

What Vcore do you have now?

I currently have mine at 1.45 V and I get 2.4 Ghz, but no more. I think I can get 2.5 Ghz if I up the vcore to 1.5V, but that would be as far as I dare push it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,348 Posts
well when i had my venice i had to use 1.75v to get 2.6ghz..i know i know, it was a ridiculous chip..but still my load temps were never more than 43C..now ive got a sandy 3700 an right now im at 2.8ghz at 1.45v but i can hit 3.0ghz with like 1.5v..only reason im running 2.8ghz is because i like to run my ram 1:1 at very right timmings....1.5-2-2-0 1T...Also i would get a new psu for your rig..a low 350watt would do but a quality psu..is your current one a budget psu?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by waqasr
View Post

Also i would get a new psu for your rig..a low 350watt would do but a quality psu..is your current one a budget psu?

Yeah, I know. It's next on my list because I also want to buy a second harddisk and maybe another gig of RAM. I'll need more wattage to support all that plus the X2 CPU.

Thing is, I'm a bit low on cash right now and all that stuff will have to wait until Xmas. I just bought the CPU because 939's are getting very hard to find these days and I thought it wouldn't be wise to wait any longer.

Peace.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
Why am I an idiot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
Why am I an idiot?
You're not (I guess
). Some dude posted a viagra spam message right after your post and the idiot comment was aimed at him. The spam post was then deleted, though.
 

·
Filthy Casual
Joined
·
8,653 Posts
LOL, well then the other guy may want to delete it so I don't look bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I just got the X2 4400+ and installed it. The computer booted up fine, BIOS detected the new CPU just fine, and Windows (XP Pro SP2) started. Then Windows said something like "Your new hardware has finished installing and the computer needs to reboot", so I thought Windows had just installed some multi-core driver and clicked OK.

The computer rebooted and Windows started. The log in screen appeared and I just clicked OK (no password in this PC), and bang! Windows rebooted the computer. I let it reboot and the same thing happened over and over. After the log-in screen, Windows reboots itself.

I can boot Windows in safe mode without any problems, so I thought it had to be some stupid driver or background program. Anything else I should be aware of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after nightmareish hours of disabling stuff in the device manager and msconfig, rebooting, and re-crashing, I decided to send it all to hell and did a clean OS reinstall. It worked fine. Then I reinstalled one driver at a time, creating a system restore point before each. I found the faulty driver to be my MIDI interface serial driver (yes, serial as in RS-232). I was using the serial port because the device's USB driver never worked with this system.

I installed everything else to see if something else could cause problems but everything went fine. Then I decided to try once more the MIDI interface USB driver. I installed it and everything went smooth. Rebooted, turned on the interface, and it worked. Rebooted again. No problems. Perfect. God does work in mysterious ways.

Haven't tried OC'ing yet, but performance on single-core apps is practically the same as before, even though my previous setup was running at 2.4 Ghz, while this one is at 2.2 Ghz. I think it's because of two reasons: first, the larger L2 cache (2x1 Mb vs 512 Kb), and second, even for single-core apps, the other core helps a little with the background Windows tasks.

However, when I turned on multicore support in one of my apps, performance went up by 60%-75%. I checked the task manager and the load was equally distributed between both cores. Beautiful. Too bad not all my apps have that advantage.

After OC'ing I'm expecting a 100% performance boost compared to the old CPU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Like days of old, ie; win95. I still load drivers individually and reboot... old fashioned but thats just me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fac View Post
Well, after nightmareish hours of disabling stuff in the device manager and msconfig, rebooting, and re-crashing, I decided to send it all to hell and did a clean OS reinstall. It worked fine. Then I reinstalled one driver at a time, creating a system restore point before each. I found the faulty driver to be my MIDI interface serial driver (yes, serial as in RS-232). I was using the serial port because the device's USB driver never worked with this system.

I installed everything else to see if something else could cause problems but everything went fine. Then I decided to try once more the MIDI interface USB driver. I installed it and everything went smooth. Rebooted, turned on the interface, and it worked. Rebooted again. No problems. Perfect. God does work in mysterious ways.

Haven't tried OC'ing yet, but performance on single-core apps is practically the same as before, even though my previous setup was running at 2.4 Ghz, while this one is at 2.2 Ghz. I think it's because of two reasons: first, the larger L2 cache (2x1 Mb vs 512 Kb), and second, even for single-core apps, the other core helps a little with the background Windows tasks.

However, when I turned on multicore support in one of my apps, performance went up by 60%-75%. I checked the task manager and the load was equally distributed between both cores. Beautiful. Too bad not all my apps have that advantage.

After OC'ing I'm expecting a 100% performance boost compared to the old CPU.
First off, good luck with the OC'ing--hopefully you get as high as you'd like. But the steppings of the X2's cause great variations between overclockability--for example, I have a 4400 x2, ccbwe stepping--this is the worst overclocking stepping, and typically doesn't do much past 2.54GHz stable (doesn't matter much to me 'cause I don't have a good OC'ing board right now, plus, I have no reason to OC at the moment). So even if you had the worst stepping, you'd already be close to what you were hoping to get--2.6GHz. Though I seriously doubt you'd get 100% better performance over your previous CPU--that's very unlikely even for a dual core CPU. But good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,756 Posts
the highest i got my x2 4400 was 2700mhz-> 2.7ghz, which isnt a huge increase but enough for me. i have seen some people here on OCN hittin 2.8 and 2.9ghz so it isnt out of the question.

for my overclocking i usually leave the multiplier on 11 and set the bus speed to around 240, which leaves it at around 2.64ghz. up the vcore to 1.43v or 1.45v. set the hypertransport to 5. you can leave the ram timings at auto or set them at default speeds. this should get you to 2.6 though. good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments.

My 4400+ did 2.3 Ghz with no problems. No need to lower the RAM divider or the HT multiplier. Of course, that's only a 100 Mhz gain. I tried 2.4 but Windows crashed, even if I lowered the RAM divider and HT mult, so I may need to bump up the vcore a bit. The default is 1.35 v, you guys say 1.45 is still safe? I'll try that tomorrow.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top