Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around the start of Summer this year, I went into Fry's looking for a videocard.

I stumbled upon the GTX 260 Maxcore 55 OC and while checking all the boxes for mark downs, I found one for $35

It was mislabeled as a low-end motherboard, and I bought it for about $40 and walked out.

Now that a bunch of new games are releasing, I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I'd like to do a multi-monitor setup, as I have one 1920x1080 monitor, and a huge amount of 1280x1024 CRTs and LCDs.

Any ideas? I have a budget of whatever I can sell my card for, plus about $200

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howabout one of those recertified PNY 465s?
What are the chances of unlocking those things nowadays?

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekFreak View Post
Howabout one of those recertified PNY 465s?
What are the chances of unlocking those things nowadays?
~75%.

I would just get a used one though if you were to do that because then the buyer would tell you.

but imo just get a 470

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything with new cards being released this month. The gpu market should change quite a bit. Unless you have ants in your pants, I'd wait 3 weeks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well what's releasing and how big of an impact is it supposed to make?
There's a deal for a GTX 470 for $209.99, would that not be worth it in a few weeks?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekFreak View Post
Well what's releasing and how big of an impact is it supposed to make?
There's a deal for a GTX 470 for $209.99, would that not be worth it in a few weeks?
ati releasing their 6series mainstream cards. 150-250 price range. This will match with gtx460-470s and price war will be fueled.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
The Gigabyte GTX 470 Super Overclock has full core and memory voltage control and is close to, or outruns a reference 480 in most benchies, pushing the clocks and voltages higher could land you a 480 with less VRAM and custom cooling, essentially.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

I wouldn't buy anything with new cards being released this month. The gpu market should change quite a bit. Unless you have ants in your pants, I'd wait 3 weeks.

I remember hearing people say the same thing when Fermi was about to release. Wait till they come out and the prices will drop for ATI. They didnt. Many months later they are now, but it didnt change the prices like many had hoped.
Will it this time? Who knows!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts