I just ordered this UPS and needed to know if I need to cancel or not

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102216

i73770k (stock)
wd 256gb hd
wd blue 1tb hd
gtx 1080 (stock)
3 ssd's
850 seasonic psu

realistically i only need the pc to be on for 20 seconds in case of a power outage to shut it down
power does not go out here very much at all and is very stable but I just wanted to safe
so just wanted some input on if that UPS will be good for my system for about 20 seconds in case power does go out
i think it will work but just wanted to be sure

I don't really play games anymore I just listen to music so the load is not high at all ever

edit: the order is already packaging so I hope it's fine I cant cancel now

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't cancel the order now. Will the one I ordered power my pc for about 20 seconds from just listening to music with my system?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump it shipped so I hope it will be okay

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Not really you can always refuse delivery
If ups set it to hold for pickup and never pick it up it will be sent back in 5 working days :D

Newegg can recall I believe.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Pure sine wave is the best, but is still a marketing term for a UPS that has a more complex square wave.

If you want the best, you want a ups with an output transformer. These are heavy and expensive, and not necessary for what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you just want something to protect you from brown outs and spikes, which this will do. You may run into capacity issues though as a 500W ups isn't generous (but should be okay since you're on a 1080 and a mainstream platform).

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thank you for the response I appreciate it

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Pure sine wave is the best, but is still a marketing term for a UPS that has a more complex square wave.

If you want the best, you want a ups with an output transformer. These are heavy and expensive, and not necessary for what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you just want something to protect you from brown outs and spikes, which this will do. You may run into capacity issues though as a 500W ups isn't generous (but should be okay since you're on a 1080 and a mainstream platform).
Most of that is not entirely true. Pure sine wave is just that. Modified sine wave and stepped sine wave are terms for a complex square wave and are not the equivalent of a pure sine wave. Components with PFC (Power Factor Correction), such as most modern PSUs, usually need pure sine wave to fuction properly (often, they will not function at all with something other than a pure since wave).

A UPS with an output transformer actually doesn't control voltage as well as a modern line interactive UPS does. Why pay extra for less?

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Noticed the other day my apc xs1500 had the battery replace symbol showing also found out it is a simulated sine wave :thumbsdow
Have 2 year in store warranty at micro center so I finally took it lasted 18 months or is when I noticed the replace battery flashing :eek:
Replaced it with this one same price but lower wattage :/
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16842102238

1 - 9 of 9 Posts