Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a cheap UPS with line conditioning (you know, cleans the power before it sends it to my PSU... anyone know of any?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

i'm looking for a cheap UPS with line conditioning (you know, cleans the power before it sends it to my PSU... anyone know of any?

Depends on what you call cheap, LOL. What kind of price range are you looking to spend? I like "APC" battery back ups, they can be a little on the pricey side but they are good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
cheap1s are crap, rather not have any lol!

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i'd like to get one for under 50 bucks, but if we can't make that happen, then cheapest after that. i don't think i need a heavy duty application, i get normal power like everyone else, but i'd like it to filter power before it goes to the PSU, and i really don't need a battery backup, just line conditioning. heck, if it comes w/ a battery, then i don't mind. but what i'm in the market for really is line conditioning.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

thank you sir...now these have line conditioning?
I'm not positive if they a dedicated conditioning circuit, but since they use huge capacitors (for the battery back up), you will end up with clean and constant power. Thats just how capacitors work. You won't have to worry about spikes and/or surges.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so we don't know if they have conditioning... it's not that we have constant surges out here, i was more looking for filtering out the line noise so i could get a close-to-perfect sine wave, which is what clean power is supposed to look like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456
I'm not positive if they a dedicated conditioning circuit, but since they use huge capacitors (for the battery back up), you will end up with clean and constant power. Thats just how cpapcitors work. You won't have to worry about spikes and/or surges.

·
Banned
955 Posts
whoa wth are you talking about... are the effects of line conditioning anywhere near as important and/or effective as the things for ram.... in other words... is there any reason why i should consider a better surge protector and perhaps battery backup than i have now?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
basically what i want is line conditinoing. what this does is take outside power, which is considered "dirty" and "Clean" it into a pure sine wave, you know the things you made on grafing calc's, right? the one that looks like a wave... that's what "pure" power is considered, and i'm hoping to make my PSU more stable by getting one of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by setite
whoa wth are you talking about... are the effects of line conditioning anywhere near as important and/or effective as the things for ram.... in other words... is there any reason why i should consider a better surge protector and perhaps battery backup than i have now?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

basically what i want is line conditinoing. what this does is take outside power, which is considered "dirty" and "Clean" it into a pure sine wave, you know the things you made on grafing calc's, right? the one that looks like a wave... that's what "pure" power is considered, and i'm hoping to make my PSU more stable by getting one of these.
Here is one from Belkin that specifically states it has Line conditioning. Just remember you will not be able get a perfect sine wave, it all depends on how dirty the incoming lines are.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
I've got a Belkin UPS which is really nice and has saved me from a few near misses.

Not sure of the model no, but it was fairly cheap, and has 4x UPS/PowerClean points and 4x PowerClean only points.

Here it is...
LL

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have this APC UPS. It works wonders on my homes filthy power. I would highly recommend going with APC. They are highly reliable and are rated for industrial use. Plus their batteries are readily available. The reason that you want line conditioning is because the power comming into your home must travel quite a distance and run through many transformers to get to your wall socket. Then, the more stuff you hook up to your outlets, the dirtier it gets. Not to worry though, most QUALITY PSU's have built in line conditioning. If you want the purest power going to your components, get a UPS.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeap, it's called a PFC... think so. most of them are Active PFC's, but some are Passive. you want Active, it cleans it up the most and is the most efficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix
I have this APC UPS. It works wonders on my homes filthy power. I would highly recommend going with APC. They are highly reliable and are rated for industrial use. Plus their batteries are readily available. The reason that you want line conditioning is because the power comming into your home must travel quite a distance and run through many transformers to get to your wall socket. Then, the more stuff you hook up to your outlets, the dirtier it gets. Not to worry though, most QUALITY PSU's have built in line conditioning. If you want the purest power going to your components, get a UPS.

·
Registered
712 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Burn
1 - 20 of 21 Posts