Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help this is very urgent I have 1 or 2 business days to return the memory but I don't want to because I got it in a different country and took great length to get it here. If it is really not going to work I would need to know immediately .!!!!!!!

Right now I am performing only just above par due to the 2133. I need to know what is going on. If this will be fixed in a later bios uefi. I will hang on. Otherwise I should save my money because I am not living a lavish lifestyle despite my desire to have the best for my small business and home!

I have heard the storys that the only overclock-able processor of the xeon's the Hexacore xeon. But I could DRAM overclock my RIVE board with a 2687w 8 cores to 2133 Mhz why. With this new ddr 4 board I can't what is causing this any ideas anyone. I UEFI is missing the menus and Asrock HQ is saying that it's Xeon being locked.

YES BUT THE 2687w (shouldn't be unlocked) and I could change DRAM timing values on rampage boards .. not B Clock or others but certainly 100 % could take mem from 1600 to 2133 DDR3 !?

Is Asrock correct : because the board should be able to switch DRAM timings but not Bclock. Or was Asus simply better at working with locked processors and still allowed me to adjust the DRAM timing on a locked processor.

What gets me more confused is the Xeon has turbo mode to 3.8 Ghz per core... Is that not overclock ? Guess not , but can someone explain why my old board could handle this with a "locked Xeon" but the asrock can't. If I went to an Asus board could I adjust the Dram timinigs at least and load the XMP profile ?

As you can see the BIOS is in a sort of XEON mode locking out menus.... What has me stir crazy is how in theory my RIVE board with 2687w could change DRAM timings as in processor seemed for all intents and purposes locked but the RIVE board was game with changing those particular timings as I said not Base Clocks and other BUT 2133 was a green light..

So before I am tied to this can I hope for anything better with an Asus board or others? Does anyone here have real world experience with this config ?!

Because the price tag of $500 USD (was thinking of $1000 with 128) is uber unrealistic I 2133 Mhz is my cap. Much better off with the ECC registered crap for the 1 in a billion chance i will ever need it...
smile.gif

Just respond to me and I will think you are helping me thanks everyone
smile.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have not known about the 22 core launch foolishly got a genuine 2696 e5 : It is such a sour performer because of the memory timings. My board supports 3400 + " yeah right" on 128gig... so whats up im locked to 16-16-16-36 cl 3 2133 with a 3400 kit 128 gig kit and a 2400 sim all drop down.

My question is from your experience what can I press the board to do its a Asrock Extreme11.

so..

Is there actually a way to

1) get the board to press DRAM past 2133 with anything
2) or should i get 2400 ecc memory for resale value and expect 2133 with some better timings
3) get 2133 ecc mem because I can actually get lower timings.
4) get 2133 XMP gaming mem because it is on the QVL and I will be able to push it ?
5) other memory !?!?

ahhh

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futiless View Post

I have not known about the 22 core launch foolishly got a genuine 2696 e5 : It is such a sour performer because of the memory timings. My board supports 3400 + " yeah right" on 128gig... so whats up im locked to 16-16-16-36 cl 3 2133 with a 3400 kit 128 gig kit and a 2400 sim all drop down.

My question is from your experience what can I press the board to do its a Asrock Extreme11.

so..

Is there actually a way to

1) get the board to press DRAM past 2133 with anything
2) or should i get 2400 ecc memory for resale value and expect 2133 with some better timings
3) get 2133 ecc mem because I can actually get lower timings.
4) get 2133 XMP gaming mem because it is on the QVL and I will be able to push it ?
5) other memory !?!?

ahhh
Well Futiless it maybe too late of answer but just for future general knowledge, like Cookies, answer you on my thread, the only way for you to use memory at 2400Mhz is by using the XEON V4, since you are using a XEON V3, your XEON processor can not run memory above 2133MHZ, in other words your CPU internal memory controller does not support any memory speed above 2133Mhz, that's the reason the BIOS motherboard don't give you or let you change that option and if any chance any other board could or would gave you that option, after log in to windows you could check on AIDA64 that regardless your input in BIOS you are going to see a different answer on AIDA64. So long story short update to any XEON V4 to see that option available.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
80 Posts
@ FUTILESS

You are fighting you own self guy, and I said this because first you are comparing 2 different animals the RVE and X99 Extreme 11, The RVE its most for OCer (Hardcore) ones the X99 Extreme 11 its most to meet both world the OC and the Workstation type. And your problem in my humble opinion and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, its not memory problem neither motherboards compatibility, it's memory control module in which its inside the CPU. LOCK Xeons are not the same as i7 Extreme CPU that they can be manage different, as far as I know any type of Hazwell V3 Xeon and any Broadwell V4 Xeon the only thing that you can play with them its the BLCK regardless you see in BIOS the TEMPTY options for you to select, don't go that route. If you want and you can try that if you will, get you self a quad cannel kit of ECC RDimm memory kit and since you have that type of board you shouldn't have any problem. Try and make sure if purchase the ECC buy 2133 Mhz your XEON don't do 2400Mz memory. Another tip quad kit its a kit that already comes preconfigure from factory to word as quad channel kit, don't buy separated modules to filled the all 4 slot, because its not going to work as quad channel. Quad cannel is a kit identify as ( 4X4) (4x8) (4X16) were the first # describe how many module the kit comes with and the second # describe the density of each module (How much ram each module come with).

Sorry for the (hold a lot nothing) but it its what it its, (This 2 Type of generation of XEON their memory controller different memory speed, you could tweak a little the timings under theirs respective speed mode but not too much maybe one or two timing different, but on ECC mode the ECC chip that comes on each module don't let you do a lot of any tweak cause you start seen error on memory. Tweaking and testing from you own self its the best source of info you can get from and before you do that read and look up any info in regard Xeons IMC, and how they work on Xeon, and the different memory type the Xeon IMC could use, and their different in performance, after that then you can come up with you own decision.
thumb.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts