Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after hooking up my new HTPC to my non -HD TV and being totally discappointed in the picture... I'm thinking about getting a HDTV.

Gator pointed out a viewsonic 27" that is basically a computer monitor that has a TV tuner and other inputs in it... but I was wondering when it comes to hooking up a PC to a HDTV what is the best and what is the most cost effective?

You can get HDTV's that just have the component video inputs (Y, Cb, Cr) or ones that have the new HDMI connecors or there are ones that have the VGA or DVI like a computer monitor.

now, I ask what would be best. The video card I have in my computer is a 6600GT. it has both DVI and VGA outputs as well as a dongle that will output either S-video or component.

So, if I get a HDTV that only has component in... will that be clear? and if so how clear?
If I get one that has the HDMI and get a DVI to HDMI converter how well will that work? And is that possible? will it be more clear?
Or do I need to look for a HDTV that has either VGA or DVI inputs to really do what I am looking for?

the reason I would like an answer is because the one TV I was thinking about is the viewsonic and it's on a one day sale at newegg today... it's more than I want to spend, so that's why I'm asking if these other options will work just as well or better.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called Circuit City and talked to someone in the TV section. he said that I needed to get a TV w/ either a HDMI or DVI input... so I ordered a 27" Viewsonic LCD

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Use the DVI for the computer and the HDMI if you ever get a top line DVD player.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I also ordered a DVI cable to hook up the tv to my monitor... that's the only downside w/ this tv is it doesn't have the HDMI

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Solo Read my review...do not use the DVI for the monitor, use the VGA...use the DVI with the HD box. The picture will be better but it's still not "great"...you need to get Digital Cable Channels and HDTV looks just plain awesome

Also the component inputs look just as good as the DVI connection, but you wont be able to have PIP while on the computer...you need to get a AV Audio to 3.5mm jack...I just picked up a Monster Cable like this for $7.50 at Radio Shack..pretty cheap...just plug in hte Monster Cable in the right plugs and put the 3.5mm jack into the Green Headphone Jack next to the YPrPb conncetions.

So you're going to want this setup

PC -> VGA
HDTV -> DVI w/ audio connection described above.

I have pretty much everything laid out in my review on what works best...saving those people the time because I went through it yesterday

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't have a HD cable box and I can't really get one where I'm at. I live in college housing... 2 bedroom apartment w/ full bathroom, living room and kitchen. I only have 1 cable jack so I'll have to split it... My only HD source will be my one computer. I'm getting an ATI HDTV card today too so I'll be able to get over the air HDTV. Since my cable and internet are free I'm not going to mess w/ anything. I'll just have standard cable TV still, but I'll have HD via my computer.
I was planning on hooking the computer up via DVI
DVD player via component
X-box via S-video
Gamecub via composit
then just hooking up the TV to the regular cable I have.

Also, I'll be outputting the sound directly to my reciever like I currently have. I have 5.1 DTS system that I use, sometimes even for regular TV as it can create a simulated surround sound.

I'll take your suggestions into consideration of course... and I'll have to play around with things once I actually can sit down and set everything up... but since I don't have a HD cable box or an upconverting DVD player the DVI port should be free to use for my Computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.