Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I put thermal paste on CPU and attempted to seat the heatseink down. Only did I realize I put the heatsink in the wrong direct, so I took it off and replaced it into the correct position and screwed in the screws.

But I remember hearing somewhere that once you lift the heatsink once its been seated on the paste you cant put it down again. Is this true? I'm really worried right now, this is my first ever PC I've watched tons of videos and I made the silly mistake of putting it down in the wrong position to begin with.

I think I put too much paste too, help!

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,216 Posts
Lifting and replacing the heatsink with new thermal paste is not a problem. All is fine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a question. In most videos the fan on the heatsink faces towards the ram, whereas if I do that on mine it faces towards the case. Doesn't the air suppose to flow outside of the case? Do I have my fan on the right side?

ecce9ad04a99bbf1ecbdf7a8af3c0c10.png

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzon View Post

I got a question. In most videos the fan on the heatsink faces towards the ram, whereas if I do that on mine it faces towards the case. Doesn't the air suppose to flow outside of the case? Do I have my fan on the right side?

ecce9ad04a99bbf1ecbdf7a8af3c0c10.png
If your fan is pushing, which it should be, then the way you have it there is fine. It pushes air through the heatsink and then that hot air gets pulled out by the case fan.

For the first question, if you remove the heatsink you should wipe it off and use new thermal paste - otherwise you might not get good coverage. It's not the end of the world if you don't, but make sure your temps are okay.

·
Premium Member
27,143 Posts
Simplest way to know if fan is pushing or pulling air it to look as fan.
The side of fan with only the fan showing is intake side.
The side of fan with frame braces from outer frame to center attaching to motor is the exhaust side of fan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts