Overclock.net banner

Urgent Help! - HDD dropped from LSI Raid 5

3478 Views 22 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  1devomer
Hi guys, I need some help like the title says. I'm a bit of an amateur with server grade stuff so be gentle lol. Anyways, I have 5 drives running in Raid 5 on an LSI raid card (with an Intel SAS expander as well) a few days ago my raid alarm went off notifying me a drive had failed power up. Now my questions are, did I lose my array completely or can I just pop in a new drive and rebuild my existing array?. I tried to access my files but obviously I can't with the array being damaged. Any help or info would be appreciated. Here are a few pics showing the status of the array from today

Thanks

Font Parallel Electronic device Electric blue Pattern

Personal computer Computer Font Rectangle Display device

Font Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Symmetry
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update* So I was able to get the drives back online and back into group 0. Now my only issue is.. I have roughly 6TB's of data across the 4 3TB drives when creating a Raid 5 won't there be a space issue or will it still be ok?.

· Registered
768 Posts
With RAID5, you get a bit less than # of drives -1 capacity (unline with RAID1, where you get exactly half). That's how your original config of 5*2.728tb=13.64 drives resulted in just under (5-1)*3.728=10.912tb of redundant capacity, or about 10.16tb actual capacity. With just 4 drives, if you got the array up, you still get full 10tb of space but no reduncancy. Any drive failure now and your data is gone. Get going with a backup before your luck runs completely dry.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.