Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
A little help/advice please.
I have a RAT 9 which has stopped working. I need a copy of the driver for Win 7 (64bit) please.
I have tried an install which asks you to plug in the mouse just after it starts but the device comes up in Win7 as "USB device not recognised" and I cannot get any further through the install than the screen asking me to plug in the device.
Suggestions welcome because it looks at the moment as if the RAT9 is basically scrap without the driver, which I cannot seem to find or install without going through the Mad Catz installation software, which stalls when the device is plugged in and not recognised.
Help please!
Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try going in to device manager and uninstalling all your mouse drivers then unplug the mouse and put it back in. I've never heard of a modern mouse that doesn't work with the generic windows driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't heard of one either, so I contacted Microsoft Support. They tried the generic mouse install; no success with the RAT. All USB HUB and mouse drivers were uninstalled; but no success with the RAT.

Mad Catz is no longer listed in the manufacturers list of drivers in Windows. Its been deleted. So there are no options to chose the correct driver. Nor is the driver installation software recognised as a "driver" because the driver itself is 'within' the Mad Catz installation program and can only be installed if this program runs, which it wont because the mouse is not recognised.

I also contacted the builder of my system; they couldn't get the RAT installation to go either. Every time the mouse is plugged in I get the "USB device not recognised" warning and the Mad Catz installation software wont continue beyond that point.

I have no idea what else to try and I cant get a refund or exchange on the mouse from where I bought it because its been too long.

Stuck, potentially with a worthless piece of plastic now unless I can get the specific driver and try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK7 View Post

I hadn't heard of one either, so I contacted Microsoft Support. They tried the generic mouse install; no success with the RAT. All USB HUB and mouse drivers were uninstalled; but no success with the RAT.

Mad Catz is no longer listed in the manufacturers list of drivers in Windows. Its been deleted. So there are no options to chose the correct driver. Nor is the driver installation software recognised as a "driver" because the driver itself is 'within' the Mad Catz installation program and can only be installed if this program runs, which it wont because the mouse is not recognised.

I also contacted the builder of my system; they couldn't get the RAT installation to go either. Every time the mouse is plugged in I get the "USB device not recognised" warning and the Mad Catz installation software wont continue beyond that point.

I have no idea what else to try and I cant get a refund or exchange on the mouse from where I bought it because its been too long.

Stuck, potentially with a worthless piece of plastic now unless I can get the specific driver and try that.
What makes you so sure this is a driver error??

Sounds like an issue with the hardware itself, have you tried plugging this mouse into another machine? It will probably display as an unrecognized device as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad. Should have said. It was both the MS Support Engineer and the system manufacturer's support agent who both told me it was a driver issue and that the driver manufacturer Mad Catz is no longer supported/listed. They were the ones who suggested I find the driver directly because the install program would no work.

The mouse has been plugged into another device but all that tells me is the same USB warning. However this proves nothing because there is no driver for the RAT9 on that system and the installation software wont recognise the mouse there either. Otherwise I would have tried to locate and copy that over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK7 View Post

My bad. Should have said. It was both the MS Support Engineer and the system manufacturer's support agent who both told me it was a driver issue and that the driver manufacturer Mad Catz is no longer supported/listed. They were the ones who suggested I find the driver directly because the install program would no work.

The mouse has been plugged into another device but all that tells me is the same USB warning. However this proves nothing because there is no driver for the RAT9 on that system and the installation software wont recognise the mouse there either. Otherwise I would have tried to locate and copy that over.
Firstly I am assuming they diagnosed over the phone, but its surprising they both seem certain its a driver error.

A generic mouse driver should still pick it up, I have several rat mice here next to me ranging from a rat1 -rat7 and these all work with 0 mad catz drivers.

It sounds like the mouse is scrap, yours and the other PC that you plugged in can not recognize the device, have you not had any voltage/usb malfunction messages.

Id be very surprised if any driver suddenly makes it usable after what you have described

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not diagnosed over the phone. Both the manufacturer and the Microsoft Support techs had a remote session.
No voltage issues. All USB ports tested.
A generic driver cannot be installed by Windows, even using the update driver function in device manager.

·
Registered
299 Posts
it really does sound like the mouse is bad. if you plug in any mouse it will use a generic driver till you put in one that the mouse actually needs. if you plug that mouse in other comps and it still doesnt work its the mouse thats bad.
when it comes up USB device not recognized it is because it cant read said hardware. which most of the time means its bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts