Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
64,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive exterior Violet Font Display device Electronic device

Hello all,

We will be discontinuing our @overclocked.net email service. Google no longer offers the free service we have been using for many years and have moved it to an enterprise level, which we will no longer be able to sustain due to to cost.

What does this mean.

In 7 days you will no longer be able to access the @overclocked.net email service as it will be permanently closed and your data deleted. The limited time is due to an administrative error during the acquisition which lead to the initial grace period being missed. After speaking with Google, I have managed to get a final 7 days grace period.

What should I do.

Please make arrangements to retire your inbox. This will mean updating your various services, subscriptions etc that you associated with your @overclocked.net address to a new email of your choice.

Please do NOT set your @overclocked.net email to forward to another service, this will not suffice as the entire service will be removed.

What about Google Drive/Other Services

Your Google Drive, or anything related to your @Overclocked.net email will be TERMINATED. Please make backups of all data.

Regards,
E

·
Premium Member
11,776 Posts
A very sad day I lose my email address. 😢

·
The Computer Guy
6,494 Posts
Okie dokie.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,890 Posts
I have 10 YEARS PLUS of service with that account and now EVERYTHING connected to it needs to be dug through in a week? Wow. I understand the issue and am not upset about losing it. But some of us have had these emails for a very long time. (Like you Enterprise) Was there any other notices put out before now? I don't recall seeing anything until now about it.

If no other notice about this happening has been put out then this would make me upset. As many other of us would also feel.

·
Administrator
64,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 10 YEARS PLUS of service with that account and now EVERYTHING connected to it needs to be dug through in a week? Wow. I understand the issue and am not upset about losing it. But some of us have had these emails for a very long time. (Like you Enterprise) Was there any other notices put out before now? I don't recall seeing anything until now about it.

If no other notice about this happening has been put out then this would make me upset. As many other of us would also feel.
There were no other notices to the user base as this was the first I was made aware that this had become a tangible issue.

To be transparent, I had warnings of the Google service coming to an end, however I left this to VS to deal with as I assumed they were aware of the situation. However, apparently during the acquisition, ownership of our Google Suite (Now Google Workspace ) was never transferred, no idea why. This was news to me as of today. As such, this all fell between the cracks.

As such our account was suspended, hence why users were locked out. I spoke to Google and managed to get a one off 7 day grace. Certainly not ideal, but better than nothing.

Thanks,
E

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,890 Posts
There were no other notices to the user base as this was the first I was made aware that this had become a tangible issue.

To be transparent, I had warnings of the Google service coming to an end, however I left this to VS to deal with as I assumed they were aware of the situation. However, apparently during the acquisition, ownership of our Google Suite (Now Google Workspace ) was never transferred, no idea why. This was news to me as of today. As such, this all fell between the cracks.

As such our account was suspended, hence why users were locked out. I spoke to Google and managed to get a one off 7 day grace. Certainly not ideal, but better than nothing.

Thanks,
E
Thanks for trying to help us all out. I know that there are a lot of us that have been using these emails for a very long time. I am very sad to see that this has happened. I am now literally digging through 10+ years of subscriptions from Amazon, Steam, and many of my Computer Hardware Company subscriptions to try and get everything switched to a new email account. I used the Overclocked.net account for damn near everything computer and gaming related to keep it all separate from my personal daily emails. Frustrating, as I am sure you are aware, for many of us.

Thanks again for the heads up E. I know that you would have given us more time if you could.

·
Junglist
7,239 Posts
thanks for sorting this mate - appreciated.

·
Science
3,493 Posts
Unfortunate this slipped through the cracks, especially for those who paid for it. Time to work through years of email changes.

·
Power Squid
9,619 Posts
Thanks for chasing up a few additional days.
I'd already changed my contact email on all my online accounts but this allows me to forward any emails I wanted to keep to the new email account.

·
Administrator
64,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problems guys. I asked Google to provide 30 days. However 7 days is there go to procedure. The rep I spoke to said he would try and push for 30 days, however we should not depend on that.

Hopefully everyone that still uses the OCN Emails can get everything off in time.

Thanks,
E

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,849 Posts

Thanks,
E
God, thank you so much for reporting on this. I didn't use it too much myself, if at all, but this kind of heads up is awesome for those that needed it. You're a saint.

·
Still kinda lost
3,796 Posts
Although I never used the service but I feel the need to thank you ENTERPRISE for sorting it out.

·
Premium Member
15,533 Posts
Dam thanks for sorting this enterprise. Now the fun begins changing all my associate ocn email accounts! First job for me in the morning for sure!

Edit: Does anyone know if it's possible to essentially forward an entire email contents to another email address? I like many I assume don't regularly clear my email inbox, so I was just going to make a new Gmail and forward it all on to that one!

·
Premium Member
15,533 Posts
Ok so cany anyone tell me what the POP settings are for this overclocked.net email account? Im trying to forward all my emails automatically, but cannot figure out the correct POP settings?

Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
15,533 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,915 Posts
Oh boy. This is a sad day, I was very attached (ha, pun only kind of intended) to this email.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts