Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo guys is it even possible to install a 120 on a mobo while it's still in the casE? I've been trying this for a LONG time and it seems i just CANT get those damned hooks to hook on!!!!! Which hooks should i hook on? The ones that are hidden by the actual heatsink right? then pivot it and install? I tried installing the heatpipe side first but when i swung the h/s to install it started scraping against my proc. and i stopped.. I can see copper on bits of my IHS now but i'm not worried..HELP!! Which side should i hook up first? and facing towards where? And if my ram is not the first slot, will it still function ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
The biggest con with the xp120 was installing it...I really suggest you take the mobo out and install it before you end up destroy something other than your fingers.

Its fiddly to do even while the motherboard is out of the case...I dont even want to imagine trying to install it while its in the case.

All that fiddling will ruin the layer of thermal compound you put on, so you may very well have to reapply it after realising the temps are as good as expected.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+Reps all around.. Seems I will be removing my mobo tommorow..

·
Registered
929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3tard

+Reps all around.. Seems I will be removing my mobo tommorow..

no worries man, its not like you have to do it every day. Do it well the first time and it'll last you several months

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mauguai

The biggest con with the xp120 was installing it...I really suggest you take the mobo out and install it before you end up destroy something other than your fingers.

Its fiddly to do even while the motherboard is out of the case...I dont even want to imagine trying to install it while its in the case.

All that fiddling will ruin the layer of thermal compound you put on, so you may very well have to reapply it after realising the temps are as good as expected.

Yea I definitely agree. The only *good* way to install it is to take it out. I didn't take mine out and crapped out my thermal compound - I might be better off with stock lol. Eventually (summer hopefully) I'll find time to mess with it, along with some other stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse

I do opposing hooks. make sure u press againt the heatsink so it wont pop up or moving around.

That is how I do it. Every time I install the dam thing the screwdriver that I use to push down the hooks ends up bending part of the fins, so now I just push down with my finger. Sometimes it's nice to have small girly hands.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

That is how I do it. Every time I install the dam thing the screwdriver that I use to push down the hooks ends up bending part of the fins, so now I just push down with my finger. Sometimes it's nice to have small girly hands.

Same. Although I lack the girly hands you speak of, I just stuff my fingers in there and bear the pain of them being shredded.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mauguai

Same. Although I lack the girly hands you speak of, I just stuff my fingers in there and bear the pain of them being shredded.

Last time I tried using a screwdriver to ease the process, I n00bed out and almost took off an sata connector as I firmly scraped the screwdriver across the board...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm contemplating taking it into a technician or doing it myself. Last time I mounted a heatsink myself..well you know the rest. I'm a bit scared at the fact that the heatsink actually SCRAPES against my chip while im installing! I don't want anything to happen to this chip, It's not the money I'm worried about, It's the stepping. I got a LBBWE E6
And if i kill It i might aswell cry. Anyone want to go indepth on installation?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I did it with the mobo in the case...and everything else hooked up. Just tip your case on the side....and do it that way. The clips are easy to get on...harder to get off though...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blah..I'll be taking it out tomorrow..Installing and then putting the mobo back in. What give's me the most problem is that stupid I/O plate. What's the deal with those?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoot panaflo medium speed and sunbeam rheobus arrived today. Hope to get it up and running soon but people are over
Oh well...so i reviewed what people told me..and i clip the clips under the wingspan first, apply pressure then hook up the clips by the heatpipes using a screwdriver? I'm going to try it one last time with it in my case..then I'll just have to take it out..I'm running outta as5! lol!!

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmm....you have fitted the supplied RM after removing the original supplied on the motherboard.
This is an obvious question but you would be suprised how often it is overlooked.

cheers

• Rep+
Reactions: r3tard

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
1- put it flat on the core
2- push in bottom left clip
3- push in top right clip
3- push in top left clip
4- push in bottom right clip
5- done.

OH, and the scraping is normal...it just happens...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy FRICK! I just finished and my cpu's 1 degree cooler but the whole thing is COMPLETELY silent! Awesome, All fans are running at seven volts. Thanks sideburns..this is awesome
Whoot.. My computer's got blue LED's all across the front now and blue LED's on the fan's inside..Looks awesome..thanks all

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Holy FRICK! I just finished and my cpu's 1 degree cooler but the whole thing is COMPLETELY silent! Awesome, All fans are running at seven volts. Thanks sideburns..this is awesome
Whoot.. My computer's got blue LED's all across the front now and blue LED's on the fan's inside..Looks awesome..thanks all

Opps Never mind my earlier post...

Good job...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Quote:

No problem buddy. Anytime. I hate installing my xp-120...but it's SO easy compared to taking it off (especially with my short ass modded bracket...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts