Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you partition the hard drive when installing windows xp on a newly built pc? yes or no?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
it very much depends on ur decision....if u want better management of files its better to do it...and especially when u r talking about drives above 100GB...

so u can decide to do it if u want or u can choose to just install everything without partition and later partition the drive without affecting existing installation using a third part software like partition magic....

capscice?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You should put a more descriptive title next time, It is actually a forum rule.

Paritioning is useful only if you wish to segment parts fo your hard drive to allocate for different purposes (i.e. if you have a big hard drive you may want a seperate partition to store your music on.)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It is a good idea to keep windows seperate from all your other software, though it isnt necessary. Personally I would but as i said you dont need to. If you have lots of games/music i think its easier to manage the drive if it is split into windows and games/music.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Some people allow a 10 gig pt for the os and the rest of the hardrive for storage .But when i reinstall i like a totally clean fresh start so i dont bother

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with partitioning a new drive with a first install of windows XP, its a very good thing to do actually, windows + programs needs about 15gbs of storage

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markuk3

Some people allow a 10 gig pt for the os and the rest of the hardrive for storage .But when i reinstall i like a totally clean fresh start so i dont bother

i tend to disagree...

u need at least 15GB but safer to allow 20GB because its good practice to ensure all programe software and dll files to remain in the same drive which is drive C everything else can go to partition drive...

in this day and age 10GB is barely enough especially if u r going to dump in games....i concur with metalkobra...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

i tend to disagree...

u need at least 15GB but safer to allow 20GB because its good practice to ensure all programe software and dll files to remain in the same drive which is drive C everything else can go to partition drive...

in this day and age 10GB is barely enough especially if u r going to dump in games....i concur with metalkobra...

Thats a valid point but when i have done it in the past i just put the o/s on it and benching proggies so 10 was sufficient i always load games onto a different hd . Bores me to tears having to reinstall them

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what size partition should i make? its a 250gb hd

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markuk3

Thats a valid point but when i have done it in the past i just put the o/s on it and benching proggies so 10 was sufficient i always load games onto a different hd . Bores me to tears having to reinstall them

i guess u r right but i m just wondering...coz i always theorized this....when we install the games and stuff into different partition how much do we sacrifice in terms of performance? coz the system has to search for the dlls and so on and in any case some of the files will definitely be installed on primary partition....

what u think?

like we've been saying in the range of 15GB...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You might be looking at milliseconds but thats all and the time it saves on instalation is huge . With sata drives i would say almost non-exsistent

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
use NTSC or FAT?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry guys if u cannot understand my writing, am using my PSP to communicate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts