Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My case doesn't support a USB 3.0 front panel so I decided to buy a USB 3.0 extension cable, one 2' & one 3' extension cables. I figure I'd run them off the motherboard back I/O panel to the front of my case for doing large file transfers via a USB 3.0 to SATA (SSD) adapter. The adapter works running straight from the motherboard: it's a 9" cable. When I use the extension cable, and plug in the adapter the drive doesn't turn on. I'm assuming it's not getting the power delivery it needs, possibly due to the length of the cable, but I'm not sure. Or possibly the cables are both bad, because the adapter to the extension to the motherboard doesn't work with both.

Any ideas?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts
seems more logical than getting two bad cables, lol.

plug a mouse into the extension. does it work? then it's a power issue.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking it's the ports on the EVGA 770 board. When I plug in both input devices to the USB 3.0 ports on the EVGA board the computer won't reboot: says missing keyboard, but oddly it will work if I change from the USB 2.0 ports to the 3.0 ports while the PC is on.

I'm assuming the ports are burnt out on the EVGA board; I even tried installing the drivers meant for the USB 3.0 ports on the board and for some reason windows still wants to use the Microsoft drivers.

According to USB specs I shouldn't need an active/repeater USB cable under 9' for USB 3.0, unless I'm not understanding the specs correctly. Source: http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stupid adapter was going bad. It worked in USB 2.0 ports but it would crap out only in 3.0 ports. I plugged in my 20" USB 3.0 to SATA adapter and it works perfectly.

As far as the USB input devices (mouse & keyboard) I'm just gonna leave that alone as I'm only needing the USB 3.0 ports for data backup via external USB 3.0 SSD.

Thanks for your time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts