Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I am in a bit of a dilemma here.

I've to choose between Nb 770 with usb 3.0 support or nb 785G without usb 3.0. I've seached around and from what I understood, nb770 is basically the same as 785 but without onboard gpu? (correct me if I'm wrong) Are there any other advantages on 785G?

I don't intend to use the onboard gpu or crossfire but plan to unlock cores on phenom x2 550BE and overclock it to atleast 3.6ghz. Which one should I go for?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190021

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/194686

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196300

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169532

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I'd say one of the biggest questions here is do you really need USB 3.0?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know.. I intend to use it for the next 3 years as my main system and thinking about future-proofing. What do you reckon ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would say the USB 3.0 because it also has Sata 3 doesn't it?

If it does set up RAID 0 for up to 6x the speed
(That's what they say anyway)

Also a friend of mine has USB 3.0 I didn't try it with a USB but its good for external hard drives I noticed a difference.

Also you don't want onboard gpu so stuff that one! If you did get that one you would just have much LESS ports on the back

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post

Also a friend of mine has USB 3.0 I didn't try it with a USB but its good for external hard drives I noticed a difference.

Also you don't want onboard gpu so stuff that one! If you did get that one you would just have much LESS ports on the back
I agree for the most part... (not that I disagree with you at all though
)
More so with the OB GPU.
If you going to buy a GPU card now why bother with an OB one.
Or, if you not going to get the GPU card now and need OB for the time being that would be a different story.

OP, USB3 and future proof you say... I think you have your answer

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post

I don't think that it has Sata 3 support. It doesn't say anywhere on gigabyte's website.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I agree for the most part... (not that I disagree with you at all though
)
More so with the OB GPU.
If you going to buy a GPU card now why bother with an OB one.
Or, if you not going to get the GPU card now and need OB for the time being that would be a different story.

OP, USB3 and future proof you say... I think you have your answer

Yes, I am leaning towards usb3 but I just figured out by looking on newegg that it is a micro atx motherboard. Will this have any negative effect on core-unlocking or overclocking ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by saadkhan View Post
Yes, I am leaning towards usb3 but I just figured out by looking on newegg that it is a micro atx motherboard. Will this have any negative effect on core-unlocking or overclocking ?
size doesnt matter, read the specs

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It could have an adverse effect on heating, everything all squished together will have other components nearby creating heat in a more confined area... its up to you OP, if it has 4 DIMM slots then it should be okay to use as a motherboard for a high end system. I personally would find a normal ATX motherboard tho, leaves more room for expansion and I'm not gonna buy a small case made for micro-ATX that would have weak airflow compared to a midtower or full tower for a computer I plan to overclock with so reduced size is no advantage. Its all up to you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Just one more question. As this is a micro-atx mb, will there be enough space to fit a cooler master hyper 212+ heat-sink on it without any conflict with ram sticks or heatpipes?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markisa View Post
It could have an adverse effect on heating, everything all squished together will have other components nearby creating heat in a more confined area... its up to you OP, if it has 4 DIMM slots then it should be okay to use as a motherboard for a high end system. I personally would find a normal ATX motherboard tho, leaves more room for expansion and I'm not gonna buy a small case made for micro-ATX that would have weak airflow compared to a midtower or full tower for a computer I plan to overclock with so reduced size is no advantage. Its all up to you.
I know, I've a big case with bottom psu configuration, I've not compromised too much on other things. It's just the motherboard, on one hand I have a full atx motherboard but no usb 3.0, on other matx but it has usb3.

I've narrowed it down to these two.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/194686

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169532

·
Banned
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122
View Post

Sata 6G means nothing with todays HDD's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts