Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
This may sound weird; but a few months ago I had a computer ( I returned it ) and whenever I plugged certain objects into the USB ports, it would INSTANTLY shut off like you said; if the object remained plugged in while Windows booted up it would instantly restart again; and it would go on and on. Eventually it told me the computer told me it was "protecting itself from a potentially harmful object" I never did figure out how to fix it; I bought a different USB wireless internet; is iTunes installed on your computer yet?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox
This may sound weird; but a few months ago I had a computer ( I returned it ) and whenever I plugged certain objects into the USB ports, it would INSTANTLY shut off like you said; if the object remained plugged in while Windows booted up it would instantly restart again; and it would go on and on. Eventually it told me the computer told me it was "protecting itself from a potentially harmful object" I never did figure out how to fix it; I bought a different USB wireless internet; is iTunes installed on your computer yet?
Do you have enough power going to your USB plugs? A power issue could be at hand.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Oh, well I returned that computer and it wasn't a power issue; it could be for him, not sure exactly what type of PSU he has; if it's a decent one, 350w should be enough. (assuming that his system specs are for the computer in question)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I just sold it to a friend of mine earlier today. It does have i-tunes on it. He's bringing it by tomorrow for me to look at, I'm just trying to get a head start on it tonight so I know what to look for. His old computer has a 4 port usb card that I'm going to try and install on it tomorrow, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
My old iPaq, after years of working just fine, started frying my work PC's PSU seemingly randomly when I docked it. I must have burned through five of them before they told me I had to get a new iPaq.

So in my experience, USB connections can wreak havok on a PSU.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
If your system only supports ver. USB 1.0 (possibly 1.1) and the device is ver 2 and not backwards compatable... who knows what it might do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts