Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i live in a dusty environment, plus one side is left open due to very thicj cabling, results in an urgent dust cleaning effort from my part.

I'm thinking of using of a blower to repel the dust from inside. Will this be a problem? I hope the temperature wont fry anything. Plus my drier pistol has a cool function where air is not so hot.

Just thought i should ask before i do anything.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,688 Posts
fom what i know, hair dryers cause static, so i wouldnt reccomend doing such with a hair dryer

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I personally would say go down to your local computer shop and buy a can of compressed air. Short cuts don't always work so if your not sure on something, follow the book.

·
Registered
157 Posts
edit: didn't think of the static. Bad idea

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
compressor with the blow gun thingy... i love it otherwise get the datavac

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Static eh? Ok if you say so. Good thing i didnt haste and go at it. How much for compressed air, is it worth it? Never used one before...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmuckley
View Post

no hair dryer! makes static! no air compressor..makes moisture! i use either an electric or gas leaf blower..and keep it at a distance..

Oh man, i am not a gardener. Where am i supposed to get the flamethrower?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Datavac looks nice, but is it strong compared to an air compressor?

I just went through a large amount of cans the past year, and don't want to go through those again (especially having to use 3 at a time to allow pressure to build back up on the used ones).

What does OCN suggest?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Recipe7
View Post

I just went through a large amount of cans the past year, and don't want to go through those again (especially having to use 3 at a time to allow pressure to build back up on the used ones).

What does OCN suggest?

I can personally vouch for a Datavac. They are amazing. Comes with a few different attachments as well for your different blowing needs
. It is one little loud blower though but it gets the job done.... WELL.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What does OCN suggest?

edit: ^ NINJA'D
and yes pretty loud.

YES!!!! the Datavac are FANTASTIC.
they come with different tips, and when using the narrow tip the air coming out is very strong.
Way better than using canned air. and cheaper in the long run.

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What does OCN suggest?

I second datavac, I like them a lot. They pay for themselves after time compared to buying compressed air all the time. We use them to keep the servers running clean and cool in the data room. I have one at home to keep my PC's running clean.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to this video it does look pretty strong

Hope it wont damage anything with it being that strong. But mainly i'm from Europe and i doubt i'll find something like this locally.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley;15342038
no hair dryer! makes static!
And if I am to pull the components out of the case one by one to remove dust using hair dryer? Then try to get rid of the built up charge by grounding them using, say, central heating system? I need one really good dust removal session, and spending $50-$100 to do so sounds quite expensive...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalbard;15418198
And if I am to pull the components out of the case one by one to remove dust using hair dryer? Then try to get rid of the built up charge by grounding them using, say, central heating system? I need one really good dust removal session, and spending $50-$100 to do so sounds quite expensive...
It may seem expensive, but its not when you add up all the times you can use it, especially compared to the cost of compressed air in a can.

I purchased a Datavac 2 months ago and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daguardian;15418310
It may seem expensive, but its not when you add up all the times you can use it, especially compared to the cost of compressed air in a can.

I purchased a Datavac 2 months ago and couldn't be happier with it.
I second this.

More powerful and REALLY does the job well verses the weak compressed air pressure that comes from a can.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
I have used my very large air compressor in my garage for years(20 or so). I just turn the pressure down to an acceptable level and go at it. Never had a problem with moisture, though I usually do it at night and let it sit overnight and plug everything back in the morning just to be safe. Those Datavac's do look interesting and probably worth it in the long run when you consider how much a single can of compressed air is.

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat79;15419524
I have used my very large air compressor in my garage for years(20 or so). I just turn the pressure down to an acceptable level and go at it. Never had a problem with moisture, though I usually do it at night and let it sit overnight and plug everything back in the morning just to be safe. Those Datavac's do look interesting and probably worth it in the long run when you consider how much a single can of compressed air is.
Yes and not only that but the difference in cleaning performance as well = almost "night and day".

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why would you have static electricity with a hair dryer? Turn it to cool and it works the same as a datavac. They are both powered by electricty and a fan to blow air. I don't see the problem with the hair dryer.

Have a mice day.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts