Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My board has Asmedia USB 3.0 Controller as well as the Generic USB 2.0 controller. I know they are compatible, but is one controller better than the other ? Any disadvantage to using the Asmedia 3.0 ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ?..............I know mice don't need or benefit from USB 3.0, I just wanted to know if the Asmedia controller was as good or better than the generic one.
As for HDD Sata II doesn't need Sata III, but Sata III SSD sure as hell do.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
the asmedia usb 3.0 CONTROLLER is for the USB 3.0 PORT ONLY, the generic usb 2.0 CONTROLLER is for the USB 2.0 PORT ONLY, they can't be interchanged, you can't plug your mouse to 2.0 port and use the 3.0 asmedia controller

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, No, No...........Put the bong down and listen to what I said man. I didn't ask if the Asmedia can control the USB 2.0 port, I simply ask if plugging the mouse into the Asmedia 3.0 port is better or worse than the Generic 2.0 port......Jesus !

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post

No, No, No...........Put the bong down and listen to what I said man. I didn't ask if the Asmedia can control the USB 2.0 port, I simply ask if plugging the mouse into the Asmedia 3.0 port is better or worse than the Generic 2.0 port......Jesus !
I don't think there should be any difference unless someone releases a mouse that says it takes advantage of it , and even then it would most likely do nothing. I've seen nothing where anyone showed any benefit or loss one way or the other in my searches. Could be wrong though because I have not searched hard, just a couple days of googling.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can't imagine performance differences.

One thing I noticed. My Fanatec wheel doesn't work on my Asmedia USB3 ports. It only works on the USB2 ports.
So I just freed a USB2 port for the wheel and put the Thrustmaster TH8RS into the Asmedia USB3 port. That works fine. But I guess that is more a firmware problem with the fanatec wheel, because the Thrustmaster shifter works well with the asmedia usb3 port.

Performance in terms of throughput is not important for a mouse, so polling or something like that is more important.
The only difference is that the USB2 ports are directly connected to the Z68 chipset for example. While the asmedia may be routed through somewhere first.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothman View Post

3.0 is better than 2.0, but the mouse don't need 3.0, 2.0 is just fine, there will be no difference.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also 3.0 is more likely to have driver issues; 2.0 is rock solid. (I had some trouble with my 3.0 ports when first setting up my computer.)

And yeah, as said before there's no benefit to a mouse; save the port for something else.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen to remix View Post

Use it with the USB 2.0 and save the USB 3.0 slot for something else.
I concur.
thumb.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts