Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on another forum when a member posted a guide on how to use software to clean the registries of your memory. My thought is that this does pretty much nothing, because as far as I know powering off does pretty much the same thing. Unplugging and powering off latent power, and letting sit for about an hour should pretty much reset RAM completely. But still, the idea is interesting. I guess the software might clear things like process tables or what not? I don't know.... anybody know about this. First I have ever heard of using software to clean your memory.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I had the same impression about powering down and unplugging.. I thought that got it as clean as it could possibly be.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i use software from sktools to clean/optimize my ram on my smartphone, samsung i760, it does help, atleast on it , it does, but were only talking about 128k or so of ram i think, or 128mb, can't remember

·
Registered
502 Posts
The thing with RAM is though.

RAM needs to be refreshed since it's actually just a bucket of water with a whole in the bottom, so generally speaking RAM leaks data.

You don't need to unplug anything, just turn of the computer and wait for around 30 seconds, your RAM is empty.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
What happens with this type of software is that it completely loads up all of your RAM. This forces they system to move data from the RAM to the harddrive. Then once that has happened, it removes the load on the RAM and you have effectively regained/cleaned your RAM storage.

The problem with this is that anytime the system tries to access the data that was moved to the harddrive, it just gets moved back to the RAM. Really the only advantage to this that it frees up memory to allow other applications to use it. It does NOT improve the performance of applications which are already running. In fact, it probably reduces it.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Let the OS do its job... manage resources...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts