Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I am thinking about building a Skylake PC. I am wondering if I can do a fresh install of Win 10 on this build, using one of my Win 7 upgrade keys that I have. I have the 3-pack of home premium upgrade keys. Will this work?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Since OEM keys are tied to a specific motherboard, unless you are using that same motherboard it likely won't work.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. Some of the motherboards I am looking at look seem to be decently compatible with win7, so this whole thing may be a non-issue for me.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
30 Posts
upgrade keys? if theyve never been used I dont see the issue.. so youre going to install XP first, then upgrade to 7?

on another note: my OEM 7 Pro key was not supposed to work however when I built my new X99 I just used the phone authenticator (didnt have ethernet drivers anyways) and its fine.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

Sweet. Some of the motherboards I am looking at look seem to be decently compatible with win7, so this whole thing may be a non-issue for me.
thumb.gif
That's the same motherboard - not a new one. Your keys will only work on the OEM computer motherboard (that you have now) that they were sold with.

If you bought OEM keys they will only (each) work on one new motherboard. When you install an OEM OS it is locked to the motherboard that you install to.

There are may exceptions though. How Intel determines "exactly the same" is indeterminate. As drewis says, sometimes phone activation will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do that all the time yes you can do that just make sure the cd-key is the same of as windows 10 exp windows 7 home = windows 10 home and win 7 pro = win 10 pro

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
My advice would be: Try it.

More often than not you will be able to get it to activate. It might even help if you update to the latest service pack before attempting activation.

It's been my experience that unless a license key has been used repeatedly you will be able to activate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts