Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
This thread is for the posting and discussion of BOINC-related programs. Do you use a program that isn't listed here. Reply or PM me with a link to the program and a description of it and it will be added.

List last updated: March 31, 2018

BoincTasks - Recommended by Tex1954
Can be used to manage a single computer locally or all your computers remotely. Handles even larger amounts of Tasks/Wu well, and makes it ideal for computers with GPU.

boinctui - Recommended by tictoc
Linux curses based manager for local and remote BOINC clients.

MSI Afterburner - Recommended by eus105454
A great program for overclocking GPUs and seeing fan speed, GPU temperature and clocks

Process Lasso - Recommended by Tex1954
Set the BOINC projects to use only certain CPU cores/threads. It also allows setting a core/thread just for the GPU(s). Also allows Priority settings like Process Tamer.

ProcessTamer - Recommended by DarkRyder
Let's you specify override rules for specific applications in order to tell the program to ignore them, force them to high or low priorities, or even to kill them as soon as they are found running. Useful for work units that are not using 100% of the GPU.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Process Lasso works better for me since I can set the BOINC porjects to use only certain CPU cores/threads... CPU Affinity it's called.

It also allows me to set a core/thread just for the GPU(s) and runs them better...

Also allows Priority settings like Process Tamer.

Just download the 32 or 64 bit version, it's free so far... has a nag screen at startup is all..

biggrin.gif

6 threads on CPU tasks, 2 on GPU... notice priorities as well...

biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Well, I don't know about "forcing" boinc to do anything... All I use it for is to set all the CPU tasks to one group of threads/cores and GPU tasks to another...

Cosmology takes so long to run, it can HOG all your cores easy... so setting the [Get enough tasks for xx days worth] to ZERO may help... But BOINC does all the scheduling... nothing else can tell it what to do...

Some tricks are set Switch Tasks every 960 minutes and on the T4T project website, change the resource share from 100 (default) to 10,000. You can also set the VM proiority to HIGH...

One/all of those tricks may work...

biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
boinctui is a terminal based appllication for anyone running Linux, that is looking for a light weight application for monitoring and controling multiple clients. BOINC does not need to be installed on the machine that is running boinctui.

I have been using it off and on for the last couple of years.
From what I could find with a quick search, packages are available for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and Arch, or it can be built from source: boinctui on GitHub

1 - 6 of 6 Posts