Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update - now available as D5 PWM Version from Swiftech:

In response to the overwhelming demand and popularity of the MCP655 Series FrozenCPU.com has worked with Swiftech to bring you a more versatile version. Want your pump to run as quiet as possible? Now you can have that as well as the available power of the MCP655 in the all new MCP655-PWM. That is right, a PWM version on the MCP655!!

The MCP655 pump is a high reliability, high pressure industrial pump, featuring a 50,000 hour MTBF (5 year lifetime). Such reliability is afforded by the unique design of this pump, which contains only one moving part: the magnetically driven spherical impeller spins on a single ceramic bearing, thus extending the life of this pump beyond existing standards.

The pump is completely plug-and-play, and connects directly to any computer power-supply through standard 4 pin power connectors and a PWM 4-Pin header. It's compact design, quiet and powerful motor make it ideally suited for heavy duty cooling in environments where space is at a premium.

• 50,000 hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) equivalent to 5 years lifetime
  • Superior 12 Volts DC convenience: plugs into the computer power supply
  • The MCP655-PWM can be used with full confidence in any MP servers, and high-end workstations
  • Superior real world performance versus any aquarium pump we have tested to this date
  • The high pressure capability of the MCP655-PWM is particularly well adapted to high-flow systems using 1/2" ID or 3/8" ID Tubing
  • Compact Design
  • No maintenance when used with de-mineralized water, and anti-fungal additives (Swiftech HydrX additive is recommended)

Nominal voltage:12 V DC
Operating voltage range:8 to 24 VDC
Nominal power (@ 12 V):37 W Max
Nominal current (@ 12 V):2 amps
Motor type:Brushless, microprocessor controlled
Maximum head:13 ft (4 m)
Maximum discharge:~ 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Performance will vary based on housing used

The Pump with XSPC Top:

The Swiftech MCP655-PWM 12v Water Pump is exclusively available at www.frozencpu.com

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17549/ex-pmp-214/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM_12v_Water_Pump_Module_-_PWM_Enabled_Single_Version.html?tl=g30c107s1802

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

today, I want to present a new pump to you, the Swiftech MCP35X with PWM. This pump is another relabeled Laing, but coming with a few important mods. Both the pump and the reservoir (sold separately) were given to me by Swiftech and Jab-tech.com.

Nominal voltage: 12 V DC

Max. nominal power (@12 V): 18 W

Max. nominal current (@12 V): 1.5 A

Max. nominal head (@12 V): 14.7 ft (4.4m)

Max nominal discharge (@12 V): ~ 4.75 GPM (17.5 LPM)

PWM

These specs are almost the same as those of a Laing "plus", but I kept wondering where those 50% more performance were coming from. Then I read "PWM"...if this works the way it's supposed to, it allows the pump to be controlled via any motherboard offering a PWM-4-pin-fan-power-port.

Two major differences are also visible on the outside: the case is clean and doesn't have to usual mounting holes and the top is made out of POM and comes with one G1/4" in- and one outlet. The white box also includes the following:

- the pump itself

- a decoupling-pad made out of neoprene

- a printed manual

- two bard fittings for 10mm to 13mm tubing and two hose clamps

There's not a lot to add when it comes to the pump's quality, as it's well known already. The top was also flawless: very well made, not sharp edges and the threads were perfect, too.

Here are some pictures:

You can easily spot the differences to the standard Laing DDC. To be able to compare even more closely, I quickly added the Ultra I use for testing:

The impellers and the interior is almost the same. Only the 35X's impeller is blue on the outside and red on the inside, just like the early, first genereation Plus-models.

When looking at the PCB, you can also see, that the connectors have changed:

So let's get to testing. My test setup looks like this:

- Pump: Sanso PDH054 (called „the Monster“ with a pressure of almost one bar!)

- Aquacomputer Cuplex Evo Rev.1 CPU block

- Mips Fusionblock NB + Mosfets

- EK Waterblocks Kühler for the Radeon HD 3870

- Radiator BlackIce GT Stealth 240

- Aquacomputer flowmeter Highflow

- Aquacomputer Water-Temp.-Sensor

- Tubing: Masterkleer 16/10mm

- Fittings: Perfect Seal

This setup offers a flow rate of around 275 and 280l/h.

On a setting of 100%, the new 35X delivers flow rates of around 240l/h - a remarkable performance. Another Laing DDC Plus with a mounted Alphacool-top achieves around 235l/h. The new top made out of POM also quiets down the pump by a considerable amount, while the aesthetics of it will always be subject to debate.

The PWM-Control, which is working perfectly, was what I was most anxious to test, though. Just plug the molex-connector into your PSU, the PWM-connector onto the motherboard, set the setting in the BIOS and you're set. It's as easy as it sounds. I set the pump to start powering up when the CPU-temperature reached 30°C in the BIOS of the DFI LanpartyDK 790FXB-M2RS and, well, when the CPU was idle, the pump revved at around 1250-1300rpm, but when I started Prime95, it powered up to 100%, so around 4500rpm.

With a good motherboard with good fan control-settings in the BIOS, you can create a very, very quiet pump, that can power up to 100% when needed. The times when you needed additional hardware like the Aquaero, Heatmaster and so on are over.

Here's a video showing the PWM-capability of the pump:

The pump is offered for around 100US$, the reservoir for around 30US$.

Conclusion:

Well, what's there left to say? The new Swiftech MCP 35X completely convinced me of its qualities. It's not the new looks, not the new top: it's the perfectly working PWM control of this pump, making it possible for every user to control the pump, even without separate controllers. The reservoir made for the 35X also impressed me, both optically and technically.

Thanks go out the the companies Swiftech and Jab-tech for providing these samples and also my assistant sonnyboy!

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Nice review like always bundy

Is this similar to the Laing/Swiftec MCP355 or what? Looks quite a lot like it at least!

Keep it up

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by go4life View Post
Is this similar to the Laing/Swiftec MCP355 or what? Looks quite a lot like it at least!
Sort of. The 355 is a DDC3.2, the 35X is a DDC3.25 (stronger magnets, different impeller) modified for PWM and with its wires re-done to be more like the 355, which is pretty stupid IMO since the DDC3.25 itself consolidates both power wires and the tach to a fan-type 3-pin connector for use with dedicated controllers.

Edit; I had to comment on this part;

Quote:

Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
With a good motherboard with good fan control-settings in the BIOS, you can create a very, very quiet pump, that can power up to 100% when needed. The times when you needed additional hardware like the Aquaero, Heatmaster and so on are over.
Pfft. Kinda gives me a reason not to consider this then, I like the Aquaero, though I don't have one yet.

·
11,146 Posts
I see, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the review. I am looking at this unit and was mulling over the reservoir. For a 980x processor overclocked as much as I can when I get it, and also cooling the NorthBridge, would that reservoir be adequate or would I need a larger one that would allow more liquid? Doesn't look very big however does look visually nice.

Also isn't this reservoir a bit difficult to add water to when you need to? You have no way to see what the levels are at unless you have a clear side case.

Thanks.

JR

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
My fav pump! It's literally silent at 4400RPM-4600RPM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr View Post
My fav pump! It's literally silent at 4400RPM-4600RPM.
Good to hear. Think I am going to go with it. Found it for $95 USD so think that's a good deal. I will probably opt out of the reservoir though as I heard a lot of horror stories about it cracking near the base.

Thanks.

JR

·
11,146 Posts
So bundy how would this be compared to my MCP655? I hate the "buzzing" noise from it, and it makes a lot of vibration in my case which I also hate lol.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it´s depending on the RPM. As you know, you can control the 655 by hand with the little knob on the back. Imo at setting 1-3 it´s quiet and not much vibrating when using a dekoppling foam under the pump like the noise destructor

·
11,146 Posts
I run mine at 2, still it makes a lot of vibration and humming noise

·
Registered
280 Posts
Does the included res being so small and having the water pump push water directly into the wall of the res as it circulates cause more noise than a larger res? I don't have sound on my computer, however the video looked like a lot of turbulance in the res when it was moving faster which will be the case most of the time for me with a 980x overclock and a lot of long 100% CPU utilization processes.

Thanks.

JR

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp;11409661
Sort of. The 355 is a DDC3.2, the 35X is a DDC3.25 (stronger magnets, different impeller) modified for PWM and with its wires re-done to be more like the 355, which is pretty stupid IMO since the DDC3.25 itself consolidates both power wires and the tach to a fan-type 3-pin connector for use with dedicated controllers.
First of all the difference between DDC3.2 and DDC3.25 is impeller color and slight PCB differences.
Next, according to the last info, Swiftech 355 can have electronic components from DDC3.15 and DDC3.25 pumps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts