Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting this board soon and would like to find out a bit more about the onboard sound ASUS specs say:

Audio
ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
BD Audio Layer Content Protection
Support 192khz/24bit True BD Lossless Sound
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
ASUS Noise Filter.

Now i would like to connect the optical Toslink output to my Sony 5.1 system. Now on my old A8N SLI Deluxe the specs boasted of surround sound audio but all i got through the Toslink was 2 speaker stereo. You only got multi speaker audio through the analog connections.

So is this MoBo going to give me 5.1 through the optical Toslink connector?

Thanx.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump (really need to know or will have to budget for sound card).

Thanx.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Yeah i know even the manufacturer is vague about this. Would be happy with onboard audio if i could get 5.1 sound output during games/dvd's like i said my other ASUS had an optical output but this only allowed (god knows why?) 2 speaker digital stereo. So the claim of onboard audio "surround sound" to me is false with out wiring up god knows how many analog jacks (which my sony has few of).

I will have to (looks like!) now purchase a cheap sound card (overclockers has a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 sound card for £33) it has a optical output so am i to presume that this will give me 5.1 surround in games/dvd's (software permiting? i know this is a mobo forum but saves me adding another thread elsewhere).

Thanx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why not get the board, find out if it does what you want then order a sound card if it doesn't? Could save you £33 which would buy another game

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah gonna have to be that way shame mobo makers are not a bit more forthcoming with the info. seen a Xonar DS may give that a go instead of the X Fi (*cough Audigy*).

Thanx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts