Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, how are you?
I am continuing the research for my dual cpu project.
I went to a local it company that has an old backup unused sserver for sale.
It is a complete supermicro server.
It is an old x58 based server, but it is new and complete for an excellent price.
One of the better things in my opinion is the chassis.
It comes with a CSE-743T-665B.
https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743T-665.cfm

I am really interested in it for a later upgrade to a dual xeon 2670 rig.
But I don't have experience with server chassis.
It seems high quality, but the build process seems different than a standard gaming case.

Can I use the chassis with an asus board like the Z9PE-D8 WS?
Or are there some propriettary connectors than require a supermicro board?
Is this a good case for a project?

Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went pretty much the same route as you want to go... I bought 2 used Supermicro cse-745tq-r920b complete systems, and I upgraded one of the 2 to a dual socket LGA2011 with E5-2670s.

The 743 is very similar to the 745. Honestly thoses supermicro towers are miles ahead in terms of quality compared to consumer cases. They are build to last.

Mine can accomodate all the motherboard form factors from mini-itx to the huge enhanced extended ATX (EE-ATX), but I think the 743 can go up to E-ATX with the ATX PSU. By the way, make sure this PSU has two 8 pins connectors for dual cpus motherboard, but probably !

The hdd backplane is regular sata connectors, but the front panel connector is proprietary I think... This is one single ribbon cable instead of the usuals multiples 2 pis connectors. I recall seeing an adapter for this :
http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-11-81-Inch-16-Pin-Front-CBL-0068L/dp/B000ONYSR4

Wich lead me to ask : Do you already have that asus motherboard? If not you could consider to use one of the compatible motherboard recommended by Supermicro for this case... This is what I did and I'm really happy with the result and installation was a breeze. Supermicro motherboard are highly rated !

In my case noise is not an issue, but the fans goes pretty loud when the system is Under load. This is of course relative as they are louder than a regular desktop, but much less than the 2u server I had before.

To each is own, but for me this case is the best i've seen, and I'm not planning to change it for a (very) long time... I highly encourage you to get it if the price is right...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliG View Post

I went pretty much the same route as you want to go... I bought 2 used Supermicro cse-745tq-r920b complete systems, and I upgraded one of the 2 to a dual socket LGA2011 with E5-2670s.

The 743 is very similar to the 745. Honestly thoses supermicro towers are miles ahead in terms of quality compared to consumer cases. They are build to last.

Mine can accomodate all the motherboard form factors from mini-itx to the huge enhanced extended ATX (EE-ATX), but I think the 743 can go up to E-ATX with the ATX PSU. By the way, make sure this PSU has two 8 pins connectors for dual cpus motherboard, but probably !

The hdd backplane is regular sata connectors, but the front panel connector is proprietary I think... This is one single ribbon cable instead of the usuals multiples 2 pis connectors. I recall seeing an adapter for this :
http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-11-81-Inch-16-Pin-Front-CBL-0068L/dp/B000ONYSR4

Wich lead me to ask : Do you already have that asus motherboard? If not you could consider to use one of the compatible motherboard recommended by Supermicro for this case... This is what I did and I'm really happy with the result and installation was a breeze. Supermicro motherboard are highly rated !

In my case noise is not an issue, but the fans goes pretty loud when the system is Under load. This is of course relative as they are louder than a regular desktop, but much less than the 2u server I had before.

To each is own, but for me this case is the best i've seen, and I'm not planning to change it for a (very) long time... I highly encourage you to get it if the price is right...
Thank you for your detailed reply.
Really appreciate it.

I am looking at a server with the specs:
Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz
6GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered Memory (3x 2GB 10600E)
Supermicro X8STE Motherboard
Supermicro 743T-665B Tower Chassis
2x Toshiba 1TB 7.2K SATA Drives
DVD-Rom Drive
And it comes with a window 7 license.
I can get it in new condition under 400 euros.

Is it a good deal?
My thoughts would be to use the chassis for a board, memory and cpu upgrade.
Dual xeon 2670, 64 gigs rdiims.

Is this a good bet?
Also, I will not use the machine as a server, but I will use it as a workstation.
To run all kinds of creative work.
I want the chassis with backplane because I intend to add a LSI raid 6 card for data storage.

On the supermicro site
https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743T-665.cfm
It says the chassis support single or dual Intel processors, so I guess the PSU has two 8 pins.
Also, if I need to upgrade the psu, can I use standard atx? Or is a supermicro psu needed?

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts