Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I have to work with.. I figure I'd try to get some use out of this thing since its just sitting in my closet at the moment.

P4 2.8ghz
ASUS P4S533 mobo
2gb PC2700 ram
BFG 6600GT OC

I am limited to what I can put into this motherboard.
- Socket 478 no HT cpus supported
- No Sata
- AGP 4x only , no PCI express

My question is what kind of transfer speeds would I expect if I slap in a pci 10/100/1000 lan card with a pci sata controller card?

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,743 Posts
Depends. 1Gb Ethernet will do 100MB/sec (roughly), and PCI is limited to 132MB/sec. However, the more cards there are on a PCI bus, the worse the performance, since the bus is shared, and there is an overhead for signalling.

Depending on how many drive bays you have free, you could get a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 controller card. It's a PCI-X card, but will operate perfactly well in a 32-bit PCI slot, and will give you 8 SATA ports to play with.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
I'm a little confused, what you're trying to achieve is throwing in a PCI Sata controller and using the entire rig as a NAS box. Sata over PCI is going to be slow, you'll never reach the full potential of the SATA drives.

That being said however, that won't really be an issue unless you're moving large quantities of data.

So lets get a scenario set up. You want to run your videos and music from this "NAS" box. Well that won't be an issue, you'd be able to run your Blueray disks from this and not have any lag.

Would I use this setup and install games on it? No, simply too slow.

I think the real question is this, what will you be using it for?

Comps

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,743 Posts
Quote:

My question is what kind of transfer speeds would I expect if I slap in a pci 10/100/1000 lan card with a pci sata controller card?

I think this is a little bit of a clue...

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
you should expect 30-50MB/s over the network with a good (Intel chipset) gigabit NIC and a PCI disk controller.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy
View Post

I think this is a little bit of a clue...

Considering that the card already has a 100Mb LAN card....

TBH, it's going to be slow, but it really depends what you're using it for.

C

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

I'm a little confused, what you're trying to achieve is throwing in a PCI Sata controller and using the entire rig as a NAS box. Sata over PCI is going to be slow, you'll never reach the full potential of the SATA drives.

That being said however, that won't really be an issue unless you're moving large quantities of data.

So lets get a scenario set up. You want to run your videos and music from this "NAS" box. Well that won't be an issue, you'd be able to run your Blueray disks from this and not have any lag.

Would I use this setup and install games on it? No, simply too slow.

I think the real question is this, what will you be using it for?

Comps

I'll just be using this box for file storage. No gaming at all. Just a big file dump for streaming blu ray movies, hd recordings. I understand PCI is a bit of a bottleneck. The only two cards id have on the PCI bus would be the nic card and the PCI SATA controller for storage. I have to use the controller card since it would be a bit of a waste buying IDE drives.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by orlywutlol
View Post

I'll just be using this box for file storage. No gaming at all. Just a big file dump for streaming blu ray movies, hd recordings. I understand PCI is a bit of a bottleneck. The only two cards id have on the PCI bus would be the nic card and the PCI SATA controller for storage. I have to use the controller card since it would be a bit of a waste buying IDE drives.

I get 45MB/sec read/write maximums when accessing a 500GB 7200.12 HDD connected to a PCI-based Sil3512 controller card, with a PCI Intel PRO1000GT card connected as well.

System is an old Pentium-4 2.0GHz (400MHz FSB, 512K L2). PCI bus also has an IDE RAID controller (Promise FastTrak) and a USB2.0/Fireware card (without any devices connected).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

I get 45MB/sec read/write maximums when accessing a 500GB 7200.12 HDD connected to a PCI-based Sil3512 controller card, with a PCI Intel PRO1000GT card connected as well.

System is an old Pentium-4 2.0GHz (400MHz FSB, 512K L2). PCI bus also has an IDE RAID controller (Promise FastTrak) and a USB2.0/Fireware card (without any devices connected).

Ah thanks for the info. Doesn't seem too bad. Definitely worth looking into.

• Rep+
Reactions: 9099
1 - 9 of 9 Posts