Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I a complete noob and just built my first rig. I have some questions about using the 2 drives in my system. My plan is to use the ssd for Windows 7 and a game or 2 and to use my HDD for everything else. However I am already running into issues with the HDD. It seems like everything I direct to this drive either the drive freezes up or is super slow.. almost like there is some sort of conflict going on. For instance I use a video chat program called camfrog. I originally installed it to the ssd then decided to uninstall and put it on the HDD. Halfway through the installation it just froze up.

My question is what can i put on the HDD and what shouldnt I put on it? Mind you I am a complete computer noob. You guys seem very helpful and Sean you already answered a question in your ssd optimization thread. If you could possibly give me a noobie guide to how I should be using these 2 drives I would love you forever! Thanks in advance!!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdfw1 View Post

Ok so I a complete noob and just built my first rig. I have some questions about using the 2 drives in my system. My plan is to use the ssd for Windows 7 and a game or 2 and to use my HDD for everything else. However I am already running into issues with the HDD. It seems like everything I direct to this drive either the drive freezes up or is super slow.. almost like there is some sort of conflict going on. For instance I use a video chat program called camfrog. I originally installed it to the ssd then decided to uninstall and put it on the HDD. Halfway through the installation it just froze up.

My question is what can i put on the HDD and what shouldnt I put on it? Mind you I am a complete computer noob. You guys seem very helpful and Sean you already answered a question in your ssd optimization thread. If you could possibly give me a noobie guide to how I should be using these 2 drives I would love you forever! Thanks in advance!!
I have one question for now: what motherboard do you have?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Quote:

I have Asus M5a99x Evo R2.0
Do you have the AMD AHCI driver installed?

I don't know if this is the solution, but it's the only thing that I can think of.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Hmm.

What's the make and model of your mechanical drive?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
sounds like a problem with the hdd. I run 2 ssd's and 2 hdd's with no problems.
I have windows 7 pro 64bit and Microsoft office pro on my C drive (ssd) and my photo editing software and pictures on, my D drive (ssd) my E drive (hdd) is a backup for pictures and other important files, my F drive (hdd) is a backup also and has all my 52 steam games on it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't matter if it's a solid state drive or a mechanical drive. Both are a means to an end, and that end is data storage (ultimately). The way that data is stored is just done differently on a solid state drive than a mechanical drive, but other than that, they are both drives (at the end of the day).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a WD 1tb caviar blue 7200. For instance I just tried to run a benchmark on the hdd from the forums here (as ssd) on the HDD and it got an error saying the drive is being used in another instance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THe problem is a bad hard drive. But still my original question was how to effectively use an ssd and hdd and what i can and cannot do and should and should not do. Thanks for your time and sorry the thread got a little sidetracked with my hdd issue

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Quote:

THe problem is a bad hard drive. But still my original question was how to effectively use an ssd and hdd and what i can and cannot do and should and should not do. Thanks for your time and sorry the thread got a little sidetracked with my hdd issue
Sean's guide says it all, I think.

·
Storage Nut
21,114 Posts
Quote:
how to effectively use an ssd and hdd and what i can and cannot do and should and should not do.
SSD for OS and programs

HDD for storage

And dont defrag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts