Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I am trying to do is get a external hard drive (ex: Western Digital, Seagate) and partition into 2 different partition, one for Windows 7 and one for my MacBook Pro in order to use Time Machine to back it up. I'll be plugging in the drive into my router's usb port so this way I can transfer files from my Windows desktop and wirelessly from my MacBook Pro. Now my question is, can i partition it so that i can have the MacBook partition and the Windows partition to be NTFS? My understanding is i can only get it to FAT32. Also if anyone has some sort of guide they used to set this up, pretty sure i can figure it out but i'd like something to have just incase. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just do two separate partitions, one in HFS+ and one NTFS. You should be able to do both this in OSX using Disk Utility. If for some reason, you can't get it to format in NTFS, just do it in FAT32 and later, convert it in Windows to NTFS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get NTFS for Mac, just do a search and it adds NTFS partition settings in OSX disk utility then you can partition and format to you hearts content

·
Registered
441 Posts
Or use exFAT, which is supported under both OS X and Windows and lets you have 4GB+ file sizes. However, I think Time Machine only uses HFS. You can always format the whole thing exFAT, plug it in to the Mac and find out. *shrug*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts