1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocstor 2.5 HDD enclosure:

clicking, not working, Circuit board corrosion

One of my girlfriend's external drives is no longer working

with seemingly no hope of fixing it, She cracked it open to and found the circuit board is a bit of a mess

looking it, it looks like Just another ol 2.5" HDD by Toshiba that is attached to the board by a connect that looks like will come right off
(this all is new to me)

I'm assuming the clicking is coming from the fact that it isn't getting proper power because its USB powered, no external power source is needed with this Enclosure

If the HDD hasn't failed.
Can I just unplug the Circuit Board, plug it into my tower to retrieve the data from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far we found a data recovery program

Piriform Recuva that was able to pull 470 files (33.5G's) from the drive that is now sitting on My external for transfer o 3 o

so it had some success
But what she wanted was the music out of it and to see if we can save the drive
most of that data was just stuff that she didn't really need, but its nice to have back

but it only shows only a small number of music files, not nearly the libary she said was on there

So I'm doing a Deep scan of it down to see what else it can see

So yes, just plugging into a got it to work, but if it doesn't work, you can use a Data Recovery to possible get data from it
But our issue wasn't clean plug and play but some is better then none o 3 o

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I don't know how widely used it is, but a trick we use as a last ditch effort before you toss the drive is to put it in the freezer. Mind you, next time you use it will likely be the last time it spins up after that. So use it wisely.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

Most external drives are just standard drives with an adapter board in an enclosure. You take the drive out, and it should fit into a standard PC or laptop. I think there are a few cases where the drive is proprietary, but this is rare.
All 3.5" external drives still contain standard internal drives, but about every WD and Seagate 2.5" external made in the past 3-4 years uses an internal USB drive that doesn't need a separate USB-to-SATA bridge card. Fortunately Toshibas are an exception (the only exception?).

USB-only internal drive on left, SATA internal drive on right:

Actually those USB-only internals probably aren't 100% USB-only because they have both a SATA chip and a SATA-USB bridge chip on their circuit boards, and some people have bypassed the latter:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.