Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a new PC using a full tower case that has 14cm intake fans installed as standard. However, I'm sure the cooling can be improved by adding some more powerful fans.

I was thinking of replacing the 14cm intake fans with AP-15 Gentle Typhoons and using a low profile Bitspower 140mm to 120mm fan adaptor to mount the fans in the case.

Firstly, I know that the Gentle Typhoon fans are regarded as some of the best radiator fans but have do they perform as case fans?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of using a Gentle Typhoons with the Bitspower or any other fan adaptor to replace 14cm case fans?

James

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick replay, that answers the first question and confirms that the Gentle Typhoons should also make great case fans. It also means that I don't have to go out and buy new fans if I decide to go with water cooling in the future.

It would be great is there was a 14cm version of the Gentle Typhoons, but as this does not currently exist, any thoughts on cooling performance using a Gentle Typhoon with a fan adaptor to replace 14cm case fans?

James

·
Registered
780 Posts
They are GREAT as case fans..
biggrin.gif

I've got 7 of them as case fans atm and I need to vacuum weekly the dust away on the intakes (front, bottom).

Btw, this demonstrates that they suck in a lot of air, not that I have an extremely dusty room. Just in case someone misunderstood.
wink.gif

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaevans;14123802
It would be great is there was a 14cm version of the Gentle Typhoons, but as this does not currently exist, any thoughts on cooling performance using a Gentle Typhoon with a fan adaptor to replace 14cm case fans?

James
140mm GT's would be mind blowing for sure.. What for case do you have? Most modern cases have got holes for either 120mm or 140mm. But if you use an adapter I think it will work just as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorundJ;14123812
140mm GT's would be mind blowing for sure.. What for case do you have? Most modern cases have got holes for either 120mm or 140mm. But if you use an adapter I think it will work just as well.
I don't have the case yet but am looking at some of the Lian Li full towers as I really like the understated design and great build quality. It's not clear if the mounts for the intake fans can support both 12cm and 14cm fans, or if they only support 14cm fans, so just researching / exploring options at the moment.

Am I correct in thinking that a 12cm Gentle Typhoon would typically out perform most 14cm fans?

James

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaevans;14123910
I don't have the case yet but am looking at some of the Lian Li full towers as I really like the understated design and great build quality. It's not clear if the mounts for the intake fans can support both 12cm and 14cm fans, or if they only support 14cm fans, so just researching / exploring options at the moment.

Am I correct in thinking that a 12cm Gentle Typhoon would typically out perform most 14cm fans?

James
Right, ok. Well just keep looking for that.

I'm not certain you can compare them.. I took GT's instead of 140mm's because I couldn't find a satisfying one except the TY-140 and the rather expensive noiseblockers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay the way I understand GTs is that they have a bigger motor - so they push more area through a smaller area. It's like a hose with the nozzle turned so that you shoot a smaller stream. This is what makes them great radiator fans - because they are really quiet - but can shoot the air at high velocities.

It makes sense to me that a fan like that might be good at PULLING air through obstructions like bezels and filters - thus they should make great case fans as well. I could be wrong..though.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
I love GT''s. Whenever I need a 120mm case fan I use a GT.

For 140mm case fans I use 140mm fans. Check out this review. Also, item 4 in my sig. But keep in mind that Lian Li cases require 140/140mm fans, and cannot handle 140/120mm fans. Given a choice of the Lian Li 140mm fan, a TR X-Silent and some others, my daughter chose a Yate Loon D14SL-124B for the front fan of her Lian Li PC-7F.

Since then I have gotten a Prolimatech Blue Vortex. It's a very good fan. I've also gotten an AeroCool Shark 14, and an Enermax T.B. Silence UCTB14.

For quiet front fans I'd recommend a D14SL-124B, a D14SL-12, a Vortex, a Shark 14 on its 7v adapter or a UCTB14. Of these, the UCTB14 is the weakest but also the quietest.

For a performance front fan I'd get a D14SM-12 or a D14SH-12 (also available as -4B's) or a Shark 14 on 12v. I've seen people swear by a B.G.Gears 140mm fan that's floating around.

Where you have square 120mm apertures on a flat side, definitely go with a Kaze Maru or a TY-140.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hadn't looked at the Yate Loons or Noiseblockers in any detail before, but they both look like potential options.

Looking at the manufacturers quoted specifications (taken with a large pinch of salt) here are how the Yate Loons or Noiseblockers fans stack up against the Gentle Typhoons:

Yate Loon D14SL-12
Speed: 1,000 rpm
Air flow: 44 CFM
Noise Level: 21dB
Price: £7

Yate Loon D14SM-12
Speed: 1,400 rpm
Air flow: 66 CFM
Noise Level: 28dB

Yare Loon D14SH-12
Speed: 2,300 rpm
Air flow: 103 CFM
Noise Level: 42dB

Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PK2
Sped: 1,200rpm
Air flow: 55CFM
Noise level: 20dB
Price: £15

Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PK3
Speed: 1,700rpm
Airflow: 90CFM
Noise level: 27dB
Price: £15

Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (12cm fan)
Speed: 1,850rpm
Airflow: 58CFM
Noise level: 28dB
Price: £14

In addition to the X-bit-labs group test I found a similar 140mm fan group test on Mega-labs which also makes interesting reading. Unfortunately neither group test included the Yate Loon fans.

If I take the manufacturers specifications at face value then the Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PK3 would appear to have the best ratio of airflow to noise level. However, without an independent and reliable test which includes all of the fans it is difficult to make a direct comparision.

One other fan which I have just come across is the Be Quiet Silentwings USC Ultra Quiet fan, does any one have any experience of this fan?

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts