Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experiences using one of the 27 inch Korean monitors 2560 x 1440 as an external monitor with the 15' MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

If so, please share your experiences and any suggestions/recommendations.

In particular, many of these monitors only have a dual DVI-D output, while the MBP has HDMI 1.5 and Thunderbolt interfaces. Will the cheap (~ US $ 10) DVI-D Dual Link 24+1 pin (25 PIN ) to HDMI converters that are available online help connect the laptop to the monitor, while driving the monitor in its native 2560 x 1440 resolution?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
A display port -> dual link DVI will work fine for it and provide the needed resolution
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

Does anyone have experiences using one of the 27 inch Korean monitors 2560 x 1440 as an external monitor with the 15' MacBook Pro with Retina Display?

If so, please share your experiences and any suggestions/recommendations.

In particular, many of these monitors only have a dual DVI-D output, while the MBP has HDMI 1.5 and Thunderbolt interfaces. Will the cheap (~ US $ 10) DVI-D Dual Link 24+1 pin (25 PIN ) to HDMI converters that are available online help connect the laptop to the monitor, while driving the monitor in its native 2560 x 1440 resolution?
Do not get a korean monitor for your rMBP without DisplayPort. You can use a DP->DL-DVI adapter, but those are expensive (min ~$50; if it's cheaper it's probably not a DL-DVI converter) and notoriously finicky. Headaches all around - spend the extra $50-70 on a real DisplayPort monitor instead of the adapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

A display port -> dual link DVI will work fine for it and provide the needed resolution
thumb.gif
It will work - I doubt it will work "fine". Every post I ever hear about DP->DL-DVI adapters has been about headaches and minor problems and things just not working all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm.... and what about the HDMI to dual link DVI convertor (the MBP Retina has HDMI 1.4 interface)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

Hmmm.... and what about the HDMI to dual link DVI convertor (the MBP Retina has HDMI 1.4 interface)?
HDMI to DL-DVI converters don't exist. Well, that's just my impression actually, I'm not certain about that. However, I am certain that, if they did exist, then they will be just as expensive as DP->DL-DVI converters.

Beware of cheap HDMI->DL-DVI converters - they are definitely passive, and they will not work for 1440p resolutions. HDMI is compatible with SL-DVI, but not DL-DVI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@kevinsbane: thanks, exactly the information I needed.

However, I do want to purchase one of the the Korea 27' 2560x1440 monitors, because I'll save at least $500 on the price compared to Apple/Dell monitors with the same resolution.
Would using the 100 $ Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter would be my only solution? Or should I go for slightly cheaper alternatives (50 $ and upwards, I think)?

@kevinsbane: when you spoke of the possibility of problems with using an adapter, does that include the apple adapter I just mentioned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Pretty sure that the models without built-in scalars can't be used with integrated graphics whatsoever, regardless of the laptops connectivity ports. Not sure if active conversion would change that however.

Had might just be in your best interest to get the $50-100 more multi-input models as that had might spare you the trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

@kevinsbane: thanks, exactly the information I needed.

However, I do want to purchase one of the the Korea 27' 2560x1440 monitors, because I'll save at least $500 on the price compared to Apple/Dell monitors with the same resolution.
Would using the 100 $ Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter would be my only solution? Or should I go for slightly cheaper alternatives (50 $ and upwards, I think)?

@kevinsbane: when you spoke of the possibility of problems with using an adapter, does that include the apple adapter I just mentioned?
Yes, the problems apply to the Apple adapter too.

Forget getting a barebones monitor - get one with DisplayPort, like this one. You will be better off for it than trying to mess around with DP->DL-DVI adapters. Yes, it'll be slightly more expensive, but you'll also get a more functional monitor out of it.
 

·
Data Recovery Engineer
Joined
·
20,229 Posts
Your best bet will be to get a DP-DLDVI adapter so that you can have full output of 2560xwhatnever if you are insistant on using a nice Catleap.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: If you are going to be using the Apple adapter, then you will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Yes, the problems apply to the Apple adapter too.

Forget getting a barebones monitor - get one with DisplayPort, like this one. You will be better off for it than trying to mess around with DP->DL-DVI adapters. Yes, it'll be slightly more expensive, but you'll also get a more functional monitor out of it.
Ah, I see what you mean. So these Korean types come with DisplayPort natively as well. And just to be sure this is *mini* DisplayPort compatible with the ThunderBolt interface, right?

@all: As kevinsbane mentioned, and I confirmed by reading online, there are accounts of occasional problems even when using the Apple adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@kevinsbane:
On the link you provided, it says under the heading "A policy for Graphics Card":
It is not possible to connect with laptop and all Apple computers including Macbook.

Are you sure this will work with my MBP retina? I'll post the query to the seller as well, but I usually wouldn't be too sure of their technical savvy.
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I bought and returned three of the Apple adapters to use with my 15" retina macbook and all of them were defective. If you read around on forums you'll find there are a lot of issues with that specific adapter. The image would regularly flash and cut out, and when I say regularly I don't mean once every few hours, I mean within 10 minutes of plugging it in. It would also become fuzzy and I'd have to disconnect and reconnect to fix the issue.

I ended up finding a mini-display port -> display port cable and using that with a display port monitor and it works flawlessly. Probably not what you wanted to hear
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by juryan View Post

I bought and returned three of the Apple adapters to use with my 15" retina macbook and all of them were defective. If you read around on forums you'll find there are a lot of issues with that specific adapter. The image would regularly flash and cut out, and when I say regularly I don't mean once every few hours, I mean within 10 minutes of plugging it in. It would also become fuzzy and I'd have to disconnect and reconnect to fix the issue.

I ended up finding a mini-display port -> display port cable and using that with a display port monitor and it works flawlessly. Probably not what you wanted to hear
frown.gif
@juryan:
No, this is exactly what I wanted to hear
smile.gif
, an account of someone using a MBPr who got such a display to work properly. Can you tell me what monitor model exactly are you using? If you have a link as well, that would be just perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

Ah, I see what you mean. So these Korean types come with DisplayPort natively as well. And just to be sure this is *mini* DisplayPort compatible with the ThunderBolt interface, right?

@all: As kevinbane mentioned, and I confirmed by reading online, there are accounts of occasional problems even when using
the Apple adapter.
I am quite certain the Thunderbolt port is compatible with minidisplayport.
EDIT: http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/mac/is-it-possible-to-connect-new-mac-mini-with-thunderbolt-to-apple-led-27-inch-display-with-mini-display-port/QAH74YPD7AFP4PUKT
EDIT 2: The sellers do not know exactly what their display can and cannot do. That being said, most of the time they're right. In this case, their blanket statement concerning laptops mostly deal with the fact that most of the monitors come with DL-DVI connection only - and 100% of modern laptops cannot drive a DL-DVI signal natively and must rely on the finicky DP-DL-DVI adapters. But there is no technical reason that a DP capable laptop cannot run a DP capable monitor. The only reason I can think of is simply ignorance (and desired simplicity in dealing with complaints).
 

·
Data Recovery Engineer
Joined
·
20,229 Posts
Thunderbolt ports are display ports with pinouts to PCIe. <--- Mac tech
smile.gif


If the Monitor has DP, then use that. Works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

@juryan:
No, this is exactly what I wanted to hear
smile.gif
, an account of someone using a MBPr who got such a display to work properly. Can you tell me what monitor model exactly are you using? If you have a link as well, that would be just perfect.
I'm using a samsung 970D which is kind of expensive for what you're looking for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001565

I can confirm that on all display port devices I've tried the thunderbolt ports have performed flawlessly. If the display port on the korean monitors works with other devices then I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with your MBPr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

I am quite certain the Thunderbolt port is compatible with minidisplayport.
EDIT: http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/mac/is-it-possible-to-connect-new-mac-mini-with-thunderbolt-to-apple-led-27-inch-display-with-mini-display-port/QAH74YPD7AFP4PUKT
EDIT 2: The sellers do not know exactly what their display can and cannot do. That being said, most of the time they're right. In this case, their blanket statement concerning laptops mostly deal with the fact that most of the monitors come with DL-DVI connection only - and 100% of modern laptops cannot drive a DL-DVI signal natively and must rely on the finicky DP-DL-DVI adapters. But there is no technical reason that a DP capable laptop cannot run a DP capable monitor. The only reason I can think of is simply ignorance (and desired simplicity in dealing with complaints).
No, no, I know that *mini* DisplayPort is compatible with ThunderBolt. I was asking if you thought that just "DisplayPort" (and not *mini* DisplayPort) as mentioned in the item description in the link you provided, does in fact refer to mini-DispayPort (ThunderBolt) that the MBPr supports. If not, would I need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort converter/adapter? Are *those* any good?
smile.gif


As regards the seller's blanket statement about laptops, I thought the same as well... good to get confirmation from you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by juryan View Post

I'm using a samsung 970D which is kind of expensive for what you're looking for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001565

I can confirm that on all display port devices I've tried the thunderbolt ports have performed flawlessly. If the display port on the korean monitors works with other devices then I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with your MBPr.
Ah, that's the same price as the Apple 27' Thunderbolt, so it is indeed too expensive for me. Btw, is there any specific reason you prefer the Samsung model to Apple's, given that they have the same price?

Thanks for confirming the display port devices that you have seen work well with ThunderBolt ports, definitely useful to know! Makes me more confident about buying one of these Korean monitors and knowing that I'll be able to get it to work.

(Ah, my first post on overclock, and this has been a most helpful thread
smile.gif
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu0 View Post

No, no, I know that *mini* DisplayPort is compatible with ThunderBolt. I was asking if you thought that just "DisplayPort" (and not *mini* DisplayPort) as mentioned in the item description in the link you provided, does in fact refer to mini-DispayPort (ThunderBolt) that the MBPr supports. If not, would I need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort converter/adapter? Are *those* any good?
smile.gif


As regards the seller's blanket statement about laptops, I thought the same as well... good to get confirmation from you!
Oh. In that case, miniDisplayPort is a DisplayPort with a different shape. Hence, DisplayPort is also compatible with Thunderbolt. You'll need a $5 minidisplayport to displayport cable.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top