Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heeey ppl's :lol:

Welll I know its probaly not possible but I was wondering if I could use my mobo's onboard vga port to connect up a secondary display?

Cause atm I have 1 HD4890 but the ports on that is 1XHDMI 1XDVI and a S-Video , now my samsuung 22" is using the DVI ( and no the samsung doesnt have HDMI ) but I have a lil spare 19" that I realy want to use as my secondary display...and it use's DVI or VGA and my mobo has onboard video so it has a VGA port at the back..So could I have my 22" pluged into the video card and the 19" pluged into the mobo's vga port?

Cheeers ,

Specs of comp are in sig ^^

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TARRCO View Post
Heeey ppl's :lol:

Welll I know its probaly not possible but I was wondering if I could use my mobo's onboard vga port to connect up a secondary display?

Cause atm I have 1 HD4890 but the ports on that is 1XHDMI 1XDVI and a S-Video , now my samsuung 22" is using the DVI ( and no the samsung doesnt have HDMI ) but I have a lil spare 19" that I realy want to use as my secondary display...and it use's DVI or VGA and my mobo has onboard video so it has a VGA port at the back..So could I have my 22" pluged into the video card and the 19" pluged into the mobo's vga port?

Cheeers ,

Specs of comp are in sig ^^
Why don't you just plug in the second monitor into the 4890?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Why don't you just plug in the second monitor into the 4890?
Cause If you read the post I said that my 4890 only has 1 HDMI 1DVI and 1 S-Video and my 22" Samsung is using the DVI and my 19 " Is VGA or DVI , so I cant , So could I plug it into my mobos VGA is what I want to know

Cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Cause If you read the post I said that my 4890 only has 1 HDMI 1DVI and 1 S-Video and my 22" Samsung is using the DVI and my 19 " Is VGA or DVI , so I cant , So could I plug it into my mobos VGA is what I want to know

Cheers
Sorry I didn't read it correctly lol, but yeah there's that DVI to HDMI adapter you can get that was posted above, either way I'm not sure you'll be able to run use onboard video and your graphics card at the same time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Sorry I didn't read it correctly lol, but yeah there's that DVI to HDMI adapter you can get that was posted above, either way I'm not sure you'll be able to run use onboard video and your graphics card at the same time.
hmmmmm
I realy need this working.
yeah beats me, so anyone else knows if you can ?

Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did on my BILs PC, for a 3-monitor setup. 2 run off a 3870 and one runs off the onboard VGA. He had an ATI chipset and video card,though, I don't know how the G41 handles it. You may have to enable something in the BIOS to make it work.

Quote:

hmmmmm
I realy need this working.
yeah beats me, so anyone else knows if you can ?

Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FerdinandII View Post
I did on my BILs PC, for a 3-monitor setup. 2 run off a 3870 and one runs off the onboard VGA. He had an ATI chipset and video card,though, I don't know how the G41 handles it. You may have to enable something in the BIOS to make it work.
SERIOUS!? , Well what would be in the bios to enable it ??

Thanks dude
+REEEEPPPP!

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FerdinandII View Post
ATI has / had a special implementation of that - I forget what it's called, but an ATI IGP can be configured to run with an ATI dedicated for triple-monitor support.

I don't believe it's possible with Intel IGP though...

EDIT: I remembered!
. The ATI implementation back in the day was called ATI SurroundView.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics

SurroundView

The SurroundView technology, is a multi-display technology available in the 690G chipset, and the AMD 780G IGP chipset, this technology supports the connection of multiple monitors. For the AMD 780G chipset, at most two monitors (four supported along with a discrete graphics card) can be connected onto the supported video output ports (one through LVDS, that is either HDMI or DVI-D port and one D-Sub port), in "extended desktop mode" or "duplicate mode", for better desktop utilization and provides more flexibility. The integrated graphics processor and the discrete graphics processor work in parallel to drive multiple displays.[7] Therefore, it is different from Hybrid CrossFireX.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Direct from Intel:

13.5.3 Multiple Display Configurations
Microsoft Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows* Vista operating systems provide support for multi-monitor display. Since the GMCH has several display ports available for its two pipes, it can support up to two different images on different display devices. Timings and resolutions for these two images may be different. The GMCH supports Dual Display Clone, Dual Display Twin, and Extended Desktop. Dual Display Clone uses both display pipes to drive the same content, at the same resolution and color depth to two different displays. This configuration allows for different refresh rates on each display. Dual Display Twin uses one of the display pipes to drive the same content, at the same resolution, color depth, and refresh rates to two different displays. Extended Desktop uses both display pipes to drive different content, at potentially different resolutions, refresh rates, and color depths to two different displays. This configuration allows for a larger Windows Desktop by using both displays as a work surface.

Note: The GMCH does not operate in parallel with an external PCI Express graphics device. The GMCH can, however, work in conjunction with a PCI graphics adapter.

Just one more reason Intel IGPs suck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.