Overclock.net banner

using solder for thermal paste

28442 Views 58 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  subliminally incorrect
Has anyone ever tried or thought of using solder as thermal paste? I know that it would a pretty permanent bond between the CPU and heatsink but wouldn't it be a better heat transfer than using paste? I'm thinking of doing it for giggles.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michinmuri View Post
Has anyone ever tried or thought of using solder as thermal paste? I know that it would a pretty permanent bond between the CPU and heatsink but wouldn't it be a better heat transfer than using paste? I'm thinking of doing it for giggles.
doesnt conventional solder have a tendency to melt at lowish temps?

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyranite View Post
The lowest melting point of most solder is 90 degrees Celsius, so it would theoretically be safe.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read in wiki that even the lower ones melt at like 430F. They should work and without damaging the CPU. I did some reasearch before asking this seemingly "dumb" question.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kewl. is there any evidence that it works better than, say, AS5?

· Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyranite View Post
Computer chips traditionally run between 20C and 100C, solder wont melt at such cool temperatures. It takes a few hundred degrees to get solder to liquify.

OP- Solder is used to keep the IHS on the chip sometimes, especially with newer chips. Its generally considered a pain because of the reason you specified, its too permanent. Plus, It probably doesnt work as well as something like Arctic Silver does at heat transfer.

edit: I take too long to type......

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michinmuri View Post
I just read in wiki that even the lower ones melt at like 430F. They should work and without damaging the CPU. I did some reasearch before asking this seemingly "dumb" question.
The trick would be to keep the solder hot enough so it remains liquid while you add the heatsink, but then I imagine the CPU could get damaged by warming solder on it...and then also solder can get messy....

· Premium Member
5,718 Posts
I hope you try this on some old P3/Duron or something

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I guess I need to look at the heat transfer rate of certain solder mixes and the transfer rate of AS5 and all that. They also have some solders that contain silver, but the melting points are very high, but some have been made that are low. I bet that kind is very expensive.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolerMasterD View Post
You live in Lexington! ZOMG!
Nothing special about that, other than if you also live here, it's obviously a small world. I actually met someone on here that I was in band and graduated with.

· Registered
2,584 Posts
It wouldn't damage the CPU.

At least on person on this forum has taken a heatgun to his CPU in order to reflow the solder under the IHS.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel
View Post

At least on person on this forum has taken a heatgun to his CPU in order to reflow the solder under the IHS.

I don't wanna go that far (I think.) I just want better conductivity than paste, and was thinking maybe solder would be a good bet even if permanent.

· Banned
5,551 Posts
This is a terrible idea. In theory, it would work. In practice... it would be much to easy to apply too much heat and kill the CPU. Keep in mind, the die is attached to the substrate via solder. I can't believe nobody has tossed up the most obvious solution here... Coollaboratory Liquid Pro.

And yes, it works and it works well. In fact, it is the best performing TIM you can get today. Just don't use it on aluminum.

· Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michinmuri
View Post

I don't wanna go that far (I think.) I just want better conductivity than paste, and was thinking maybe solder would be a good bet even if permanent.

Of course.

My point is that the heat won't damage the CPU.

As long as it is not in the board, running, it can take massive amounts of heat. Obscene amounts.

I say go for it.
I've tossed the idea around a bit myself.

It will obviously work great.
I'm certain solder will conduct heat very well, and it will maximize the surface area between CPU and heatsink.

Keep in mind that too much TIM acts as an insulator, but too little results in less contact area between CPU and heatsink, which means that it is inevitable that you aren't getting optimal heat transfer.
Lapping helps of course, but still isn't perfect.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CPU and heat sink are lapped down to copper, so the transferance of heat between those two surfaces will be better than stock. Just wanted to get some opinions/facts to see if it would work better than AS5 andt he like due to it being a liguid versus a paste.

003, I will use liquid pro in my next build, that will not be so permanent. This one I may give to a friend soon and could care less if the heat sink and CPU are (mostly) permanently attached.

· Premium Member
5,384 Posts
just wanted to know... how are you going to add the solder? Solder takes very little time to re-solidify, and the amount of time you have to set the cooler down would be very small... and also, how are you going to reheat the solder once the cooler's mounted? you can't really heat up the motherboard along with it..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.