Overclock.net banner

Using Ubuntu as a file server...

999 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vpadro 
#1 ·
Okay, I was able to set this up before with no problems but apparently it has become a headache this time around...

I am trying to set up a file server using my dedicated Ubuntu machine. I am able to browse the internal network FROM the Ubuntu computer that includes two other Windows computers (XP, and 7) and two other Apple computers (Tiger, and Snow Leopard). However trying to access the Ubuntu machine from the other four machines seems to have it's challenges. I have samba installed, and even have the Gadmin application installed so that I can set up everything through GUI instead of using the terminal. I also have apache installed. I have one folder shared on the Ubuntu machine which is the 'Public' folder. When I view the Share options it does show that sharing is enabled but when I click on the option to have other network users change files it will show it has selected but then when I click off and then bring up sharing options again it will show it is NOT selected. Also, I do have my firewall set up to accept all incoming traffic and have assigned the proper ports assigned with TCP, UDP and network traffic through my router. All is well on the Ubuntu machine but when I access My Network on either Windows machines, there is no listing for the Ubuntu machine under network connections through my "Workgroup" nor can I access this machine on the internal private network via HTTP or FTP.

I was able to do this before, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

enobus

See less See more
#3 ·
thats interesting as i've just changed my OS on my server from WHS to Ubuntu 9.10. I did have issues at first to share a folder as i didnt have all the latest updates, On mine it doesnt appear as workgroup, just adds to the list of other machines on the network. I can access the shared folders without any issues. Does yours ask for a username and password? when accessing the folders? Thats interesting your forwarding ports to share folders, i never had to do any of that.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by monogoat
View Post

samba server is installed and running?

Yes, samba is up and running!

#5 ·
A few suggestions for troubleshooting purposes:

Consider your subnet, making sure you're network traffic is routed properly. Restart the roles on the Linux server, also considering the order you set up the roles in. Submit a post on the Ubunty community forums as well.

Link for some tips and study material

#6 ·
You may need to change the file permissions with chmod on the directory you are sharing, I've always had to do this on my CentOS file server for anonymous access.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.