Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Internet users who illegally share music, movies or television shows online could soon receive warning notices from the nation's five major Internet service providers.
Quote:
Officials involved in the effort acknowledge it's unlikely to stop the biggest violators. There are ways to disguise an IP address or use a neighbor's connection that is unlocked. Public wireless connections, such as those offered at coffee shops, also won't be monitored.
Source

First news post, let me know if I did it correctly.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Dam i was just getting faster service to download more.

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Kind of depressing (and encouraging) that CenturyLink isn't considered a major enough provider to be part of this.
headscratch.gif

·
Linux > All
1,680 Posts
Didn't see a list of the 5 in the article but this isn't new to me. Few years ago I had my internet turned off twice over downloads. That was with Cox.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I noticed they didn't list all 5. They mentioned AT&T and Verizon, Comcast should be the third, not sure who the last two would be.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
This is completely redundant, as the major studios already do this and notify the ISP via their legal teams, who then "require" us to contact the customer. We are just a "small" ISP and receive notice on a regular basis of users downloading content illegally via P2P, it is a pretty big pain to deal with.

ISPs are being forced to become more and more the "Police of the Internet" every day. Unfortunately if we fail to comply with these notices, then we can be held liable for "damages".

If we keep going at the pace we are going it will absolutely get to the point that in order for your connection to work at all the user will have to use an "approved" browser, and connect to an "approved" gateway, before hitting the WWW. I actually see a day where the VPN as a means of disguising traffic, like TOR, isn't capable of functioning due to new filtering technologies that can detect it.

Basically, as an ISP, I see very dark days ahead of users as far as privacy is concerned, unless something happens legally to prevent these things from happening.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
oh murica... with all your problems, you'd think downloading would near the bottom of the totem pole...

oh well anything to keep sub par actors in work.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
suddenlink isnt big enough either. even if i got a threatening letter i still wouldnt comply. these guys depend on us to get their money.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I really don't understand how this is any different then how it has been. I remember in High School Cox shut our internet off because come hired copyright enforcement company sent them a nasty letter. So again how is this any different?

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
I dont think i know 1 person that is clean from "illegal". Does that mean everyone has to be fined?

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I dont think i know 1 person that is clean from "illegal". Does that mean everyone has to be finned?
I don't have any pirated content, I am the only one I know like that.......

I'm so ronry, oh so ronry!

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I don't have any pirated content, I am the only one I know like that.......

I'm so ronry, oh so ronry!
You might not have now but at some point in your life you most likely had. Even if you did not download it yourself. Its like saying i never went over the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru000 View Post

Peerblock + VPN. Done.
Peerblock is a placebo at best....

Here in Australia, we've already had this happening for YEARS now.

It's quite funny. We seem to be the last to advance, but the first to move backwards.

In the words of Jubal Early; Does that seem right to you?
E-cookie for the person who genuinely gets the refference without using Google. ;p

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,374 Posts
Step 1) get email saying to 'stahp yer piracy'

Step 2) say you have an open wireless network and play computer illiterate

Step 3) loophole lul

correct me if I'm wrong, but an IP address cannot be used to prosecute you. an IP address isn't a finger print and theres no way to tell who downloaded the file. your ISP can terminate your service but that's about it.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.