Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[uwm] Einstein@Home uses CUDA

29K views 61 replies 37 participants last post by  JKBenchmarks 
#1 ·
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=7683

Quote:
We have finally begun to automatically deliver CUDA work & applications (plan class "ABP1cuda23") to machines that satisfy the following requirements:

- enabled NVIDIA GPU work in Einstein@home preferences
- NVidia GPU with at least 450MB of free memory
- Display Driver version 190.38 (&up), i.e. CUDA 2.3 capability
- BOINC Core Client version 6.10 (&up)

CUDA Beta App testers should drain their work cache and switch back to the normal project work.

BM

#7 ·
Quote:
Einstein@Home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO gravitational wave detector. It also searches for radio pulsars in binary systems, using data from the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBenchmarks View Post
I don't see how Einstein@Home benefits humanity.
Astronomy does not benefit humanity? Hmmm.... maybe we should cancel all sciences because you can't see the direct benefit?

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Astronomy does not benefit humanity? Hmmm.... maybe we should cancel all sciences because you can't see the direct benefit?
works for me

She must be a witch anyway, BURN HER!!

#10 ·
Quote:

I don't see how searching for pulsar stars helps humanity.

Care to explain how?
How does any science research benefit humanity? We don't understand how they work so expanding human knowledge in figuring out how.

We do not fully understand star formation and life cycles. Who knows what information we can gather with more research? Maybe we'll find out a quark star or prove the possiblity of their existence?

Specifically for pulsars.... Pulsars can be very regular. Some are as accurate as atomic clocks. This is useful in research... if you noticed a pulsar's timing change, it is possible that some gravitational change occured between you and the star.

The energy pulse passes through particle fields as it reaches Earth. You do analysis and figure out what the pulse passed through in reaching Earth.

Also note that a pulsar burst in theory can wipe out life lightyears away. Maybe future research and survey may identify any risks.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBenchmarks
View Post

All knowledge benefits humanity.

If this isn't self-evident, no explanation can help you.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPotato
View Post

This is pretty chill. I can't wait for Armageddon@Home where the governments use all our GPUs for calculating how to use all their nukes.

LMAO I will have to sig this +rep for making me laugh this morning.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPotato
View Post

This is pretty chill. I can't wait for Armageddon@Home where the governments use all our GPUs for calculating how to use all their nukes.

The US Gov't was nice enough to just use tax money to build a supercomputer for that.

ASCI Q: http://www.sandia.gov/supercomp/sc20...ASCI_Q_rev.pdf

#18 ·
I actually wanted to started a project to build a computer for this in my physics department that was solar powered. The amount of money needed for the solar panels and batteries was way beyond any grant I could get.

#20 ·
Quote:

I don't see how searching for pulsar stars helps humanity.

Care to explain how?
Compared to other @Home projects, this one is more for general knowledge... it definitely does not directly help humanity like folding@home would.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBenchmarks
View Post

You're 14 and haven't even taken a high school level physics class, how could you begin to understand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

How does any science research benefit humanity? We don't understand how they work so expanding human knowledge in figuring out how.

I believe the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory is attempting to find signs of Gravitational waves.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIGO

Quote:

Mission

LIGO's mission is to directly observe gravitational waves of cosmic origin. These waves were first predicted by Einstein's Theory of General Relativity in 1916, when the technology necessary for their detection did not yet exist. Gravitational waves were indirectly confirmed to exist when observations were made of the binary pulsar PSR 1913+16, for which the Nobel Prize was awarded to Hulse and Taylor in 1993.

Direct detection of gravitational waves has long been sought, for it would open up a new branch of astronomy to complement electromagnetic telescopes and neutrino observatories. Joseph Weber pioneered the effort to detect gravitational waves in the 1960s through his work on resonant mass bar detectors. Bar detectors continue to be used at six sites worldwide. By the 1970s, scientists including Rainer Weiss realized the applicability of laser interferometry to gravitational wave measurements.

In August 2002, LIGO began its search for cosmic gravitational waves. Measurable emissions of gravitational waves are expected from binary systems (collisions and coalescences of neutron stars or black holes), supernova of massive stars (which form neutron stars and black holes), rotations of neutron stars with deformed crusts, and the remnants of gravitational radiation created by the birth of the universe. The observatory may in theory also observe more exotic currently hypothetical phenomena, such as gravitational waves caused by oscillating cosmic strings or colliding domain walls. Since the early 1990s, physicists have believed that technology is at the point where detection of gravitational waves-of significant astrophysical interest-is possible.

I've been following this project a bit since 2000, it is very interesting and would be a further confirmation of General Relativity.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

Identifying risks is one thing, but...

If we do identify a risk, how are we going to stop something like a pulsar? lol

Move the population to another solar system!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

We do not fully understand star formation and life cycles. Who knows what information we can gather with more research? Maybe we'll find out a quark star or prove the possiblity of their existence?

Specifically for pulsars.... Pulsars can be very regular. Some are as accurate as atomic clocks. This is useful in research... if you noticed a pulsar's timing change, it is possible that some gravitational change occured between you and the star.

The energy pulse passes through particle fields as it reaches Earth. You do analysis and figure out what the pulse passed through in reaching Earth.

Also note that a pulsar burst in theory can wipe out life lightyears away. Maybe future research and survey may identify any risks.

Thanks, this explains most of it. I was also confused about this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.