1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
thats normal mine does tha too

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Such a big fluctuation isn't good. Load up speedfan and watch it. If it changes while load or whatever then its your PSU. If the vcore stays the same while your running your comp but doesn't match what your bios says, Then it's cool, just means your mobo is over volting it a bit. Mine does that too. But if it fluctuates alot while your in windows..then you may wanna look into that.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
does is change when its under load or idleing?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you have cool and quiet enabled in your BIOS then disable it . This may cause you to see fluctuations in the voltage if it is throttling the system back

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
does ur cpu speed change? like go up and down 100-200mhz

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Cool'n'quiet is an AMD technology, so you won't find it on your Intel system. What motherboard are you using?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Several of the Asus boards have serious issues with vcore droops under load. The magnitude of the droop is often around 0.1 volts. Although it is a well documented and debated problem, I experienced the same thing on my Asus mobo but did not have any issues with overclocking as a result. I would suggest that you keep an eye on the vcore fluctuations but not give them too much of a thought unless you're getting unstable performance out of your system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i did what you said, and continued to overclock...but now speedfan says my vcore is 1.6. i have it set lower than 1.5, and it is still getting that high. the more i turn up the cpu frequency the worse it gets. is it still safe to keep overclocking, and maybe even turn up the vcore more if i have to? my temps are very safe because of the big typhoon, but that v core is beggining to worry me

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
What tool(s) are you using to measure the vcore? If you're seeing something significantly higher than is set in your BIOS, it's quite possible software is misreading the voltage. I would suggest using multiple programs, and if possible, finding out the contact points on the motherboard to use a multimeter on.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
There was a previous thread like this about fluctuating voltage as i remember it was about the psu being overloaded. from how i see it ur using a 7800gt and those bad boys are power hungry. i have the same issue as u with my x connect from 1.41 to 1.39 but i ran super pi and prime 95 several times it seems to work fine. if ur having issue with stability due to ur vcore voltage then i recommend replacing ur psu. if not its should be fine

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
In his case, I think it's just the typical Asus droop issue. If it is, unfortunatley, a new PSU won't help.

For measuring voltages and temps, I suggest using three different programs. Speedfan and Everest typically work pretty well, and with Asus boards, you can use the program that comes with the mobo (Asus Probe, I believe). If all of the programs read similarly, you can pick your favorite and go with that one.

A BIOS update can sometimes help with sensors. It's not a guarantee, though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i tried the programs you mentioned, and they all read pretty close... i found a spot where my v core doesnt go above 1.50 and doesnt drop below 1.46, and runs stable at 3.52 GHZ. You guys think this will be fine? I didnt update my BIOS yet but i will ASAP, hopefully that will help a little

1 - 17 of 17 Posts