Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a disused Eureka Model 167... I was looking at the specs for it and it has two motors. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can figure out a way to use it to cool a computer. Here's a picture of the bad-boy:

I'll start taking pictures and keep you informed of what I come up with...

Note:
I know this is going to be really really loud, but it'll keep me busy for at least a day. Worst case scenario, my crappy stick-vac gets a tune up and I actually use it again.

Let me know how stupid you think this is -- I know it's coming...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya it will move alot of air im sure, but noise is gonna be killer, and like bind said, run it through a filter and u wont have to ever worry about dust... sounds like a fun project to me!

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Here is a tip...I have yet to try it but it should work without a problem...if you are removing the blower and going to conect/contain it somehow to your case you can put it in a box and line it with waffle foam, like the kind they make for beds and the like. The shape of the foam (all the little pyramids) will dampen the sound, much like a recording studio. The key will be to make the box such that it is baffled such that the air coming in and going out is not travelling in a straight line and has to make at least a couple bends before exiting, that way the sound waves can't escape the honeycombing as easily.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm short on tools so I'll need to borrow a screwdriver from work tomorrow... I took apart as much as I could and got it all cleaned up. Works like new! Heh... I'll check in here tomorrow after I rip it to bits.

·
Registered
455 Posts
thats a downer right there..vacuums arnt made to run for long periods of time they have bad cooling but the air flow would be crazy all in all fun little project

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that it's probably not going to work, but it'll be fun to try. I've always liked taking things apart and putting them back together. Maybe I'll put some neons and a window on the thing and pimp it out with some LEDs!

Yeah!

I was kidding about the pimpage...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using what I already have for this... I have plenty to work with except money. If it doesn't work I'll find something else to do. I have to come up with a way to cool the cooling mechanism... Craziness.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
a lil opinion about that noise, i remember back when i was still into paintball, one of the wholesale dealers i deal with had this MUZZLE or silencer, if u are familiar with paintball guns its loud when u shoot it without balls. now in ur case what u can do is make a box either wood or plexiglass and buy some of this accoustic dampers http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....=sonic_barrier
and put the motor inside the box that u made that should restrict the loud noise. and mount that box underthe computer case..

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said in my previous post, I'm not looking to spend any money on this mod. I'm working on some ideas for the sound issue but the bigger issue is going to be cooling the motor... Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That thing has an 18 inch diameter... I'm not trying to make a box computer right now. I'm actually looking into cutting my case in half and rearranging drive bays, etc. Irregardless of the vacuuputer results I'm doing this to an old case -- I'm not effing with my main rig... Heh.

I was doing some eyeballing and it looks like I can get it smaller than those Compaqs that are almost impossible to open up... The rig will basically be just for folding or whatever small task I come up and it will take up as little space as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts