Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people will first say not OCable, but I have been reading threads for hours now and studying these forums for that last couple of days trying to find out what I can about overclocking. I am very very new to this so give me a break

Anyhow, last night I tried the noaffinity approach with removing my RAM, but no luck, I got the error beeps, but on reinstalling, it booted up just fine. However, I did just barely learn how to even get into the BIOS for Vaio (tried all kinds of f-keys but apparently its a combo of f3 then f2) So I am going to try it again.

I figure it's probably overclockable since it's an ASUS board, but the question I have if this doesn't work, and if overclocking occurs in the BIOS, can I just go to the ASUS websight and download the BIOS they have there??? WIll it be the same?? I am running a PCV RX670 and it has the ASUS P4B266LM in it. At the ASUS sight I can download a BIOS for the P4B266-M , which has different setups to it, so I am guessing my version is the same thing (can't see any differences).

Any input Helps, Thanks.

ACK first post ewww

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You might want to contact Asus customer service on that. I personally wouldn't risk flashing a BIOS that is not specifically for your board...unless you are prepared to replace it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm not too sure about this..

But be careful , you don't want to wreck your Mobo.

I wonder if technical/customer service actually covers for these things.

·
Registered
698 Posts
doubtful. Have you actually read the Warranty for AMD boxed processors? Its totally up to their discresion, and im willing to put forth the proposition (gotta love The Doors) that the Sony warranty is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I e-mailed the Asus Tech support today, who knows if I will actually get a response from them. All I asked if they were the same base mainboard, and If I could use the BIOS.

Even so, does the BIOS software itself vary itself that much from mobo to mobo, knowing for sure its the same series, but not positive about the exact model??

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
If it is the same mainboard, then Sony is probably opting to not activate BIOS modules that address those settings that would allow tweakability. If it turns out it's the same mainboard, then the non-Sony BIOS would simply update the EEPROM to include those modules.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeKofCS

I know many people will first say not OCable, but I have been reading threads for hours now and studying these forums for that last couple of days trying to find out what I can about overclocking. I am very very new to this so give me a break

Anyhow, last night I tried the noaffinity approach with removing my RAM, but no luck, I got the error beeps, but on reinstalling, it booted up just fine. However, I did just barely learn how to even get into the BIOS for Vaio (tried all kinds of f-keys but apparently its a combo of f3 then f2) So I am going to try it again.

I figure it's probably overclockable since it's an ASUS board, but the question I have if this doesn't work, and if overclocking occurs in the BIOS, can I just go to the ASUS websight and download the BIOS they have there??? WIll it be the same?? I am running a PCV RX670 and it has the ASUS P4B266LM in it. At the ASUS sight I can download a BIOS for the P4B266-M , which has different setups to it, so I am guessing my version is the same thing (can't see any differences).

Any input Helps, Thanks.

ACK first post ewww

I just looked on ASUS website and they dont even have that mobo listed. As u can see in my sig i have a vaio just like yours.

BTW the combo for getting into bios is f1+f2+f3. make sure u do i really fast while the word "sony" is on the screen otherwise u cant get into bios. I would disable silent boot in bios so that all u have to do then is press f2 to get into bios.

Tried clockgen and softfsb, no luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts