Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was looking and I saw this and figured I would post it, it sounded pretty interesting.

SOURCE->http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/...-newell-n.html

Quote:

LAS VEGAS -- The next big game-machine war won't be fought over graphics or fancy controllers, says Valve founder Gabe Newell. Instead, victory will go to the hardware firm that helps connect software publishers with their customers.

Kicking off the 2009 DICE Summit Wednesday evening, Newell's keynote speech revolved around videogames as a service-based industry. Through its Steam game download platform for PC, Newell said, the company is able to monitor sales and user activity in real time -- leading to deep, broad insight about the performance of its games.

Newell values this more than anything, and believes that any game console maker who gives publishers such insight will garner the most developer support in the next round. "Consoles will succeed or fail to the degree to which they enable better customer/publisher relationships," he said. "It's a critical battleground among the various console holders."

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
So.. they want to put spyware on the next gen consoles.

I don't care what the publishers think, I don't want people collecting data on my gaming habits.

Digital download doesn't work. Its alright for PC gaming, but the next gen consoles will be using blu-ray, and even now games are pushing 10GB. By 2012 we will likely see 15 or 20GB. Forget the insane amounts of time it takes to download, that's more than many people's monthly bandwidth cap.

Jimmy: "Halo 6 just came out, can I get it?"
Jimmy's parents: "Sorry Jimmy, but if we let you download that we'll lose internet for the month."
Jimmy:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Hmm, since Microsoft has Windows Live, maybe Sony will team up with Valve. If that would happen Sony might actually win that war, lol. Either way I want a disc still, Steam is only nice to buy just the code when you get the deals at 75% off or free with my video card
(I loved that, Black Box free with the 3870)

·
Banned
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

Hmm, since Microsoft has Windows Live, maybe Sony will team up with Valve. If that would happen Sony might actually win that war, lol. Either way I want a disc still, Steam is only nice to buy just the code when you get the deals at 75% off or free with my video card
(I loved that, Black Box free with the 3870)

If this happens, we're screwed.

I can't stand Windows Live, and if you see how Sony has handled it's online gaming division (SOE) you'd hate Steam if Sony ever had ANY creative/technical input on how Steam is run. Really.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You know what would be sick, if STEAM brought there platform for there games on the consoles. That way consoles could have cross-platform since they are the same game basically and the sales would boost on both sides.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Before the Ps3 came out, it was rumored Sony was going to partner up with Xfire. Ends up, it was just a rumor. But - I think still think its a great idea!

A console + STEAM or Xfire would be great. I mean, the 360 is interlinked with hotmail, but its not like.... integrated so to speak. Any console + STEAM would be my all time favorite.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This thread is fail. How do you sell a steam service to a third world country with poor internet penetration? You'd lose a lot of the market.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I wanna say, he said this because steam will be partnering with like Microsoft or something...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Valve is posturing for digital distribution of console games.

If that succeeds, that will be something

·
Registered
892 Posts
or... valve enters the console market?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I want my physical media. It's quicker to drive to walmart or blockbuster or whatever than waiting a day to download a game. Eff that. Unless the internet cost/speed ratio changes drastically in the entire US and rest of the world I don't see this being a major influence in anything. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can't go digital till ISP's stop being the money whores they are. DVD's will still exist for consoles for a while. Till downloads and upload speeds improve as well as bandwidth limits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.