Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have my mind set on a second-hand 280x. Upgrading from a 570 so its a decent jump. Im more concerned about the cards efficiency in an FT02 since its vertically mounted and as some may know, its rather picky with GPU coolers. Im more cautious with open designs such as these because i had a Gainward GS 770 for a brief week that had an open 3 fan setup and I struggled to keep it below 85 C whilst i prefer to stay at 75 C.

The options i have so far are the XFX Double D BE, which is a brand Ive never used before. The cooler looks somewhat like this on the inside:

The Vapor-X also gets good reviews but again i don't know how it would preform in an FT02. There are two versions, id be using the normal Vapor-X version.

The Vapor-X is similar to the Gainward GS i had, just two fans instead of 3. My main concern is if three fans couldn't cool it enough, how are two gonna cut it especially when the 280x is generally hotter than the 770.

Can anyone shes any light on which one would perform better or any particular coolers i should look out for, say MSI's Frozr Series or the Asus DirectCU line?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Both the XFX Double Dissipation and the Sapphire Vapor X are great cards. I've had great experiences with XFX and Sapphire makes the AMD reference stuff and is well respected. Here are a couple of things I would consider:

1. Do a google search and see if either is voltage locked. If you plan on doing some overclocking, it's a bummer when you get a locked voltage. My XFX DD 7870 was locked.

2. If you're buying second hand, I would see if you can figure out if these things were used for coin mining or not. When I checked the US Ebay, most of the 280x had been mined with or there were tell tale signs that made me think they had been used for mining. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad card, but I wouldn't want a card that ran 100% for months straight.

3. Does one appeal more to you from an aesthetics stand point. I personally think the all black XFX cards look great.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the XFX card because I have had good experiences with them and their Black Edition cards are usually pretty solid in my opinion and overclock quite well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XFX DD goes up to 1.3v which is good but unsure about the Vapor-X voltage. I definitely like the design and setup on the xfx better. As for whether the card has been used in mining, how can we really tell? If the seller doesn't say then we will never know. Only indication is when they bought it and how long they've had it for and for the XFX its not hat long.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
First off, 3 fans are overkill for ANY GPU in my opinion. Both of the cards will stay VERY cool.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Components in a system will only run as cool as the airflow to them is. The closer to room temp the air going into cooler intakes is the better. Every degree warmer than room is a degree warmer the component will run. Links in sig explain how to setup a case and components to optimized cooler.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
All of these heat sinks are basically the same - the 90* orientation is only really an issue when heat pipes run vertically.

If your gainward 770 couldn't run cool in your setup (it also offers an acceptable heatpipe orientation) then I wouldn't expect much better out of the hotter, higher wattage 280x. I might look into other sources of heat (what CPU heat sink do you use? Is it orientated to exhaust up or towards the GPU?), check your filters, and maybe turn up your AP180s for more intake. That or, if you really need your GPU to run at <75*, consider a maxwell card (960 will be available on the 22nd of January and will run much cooler than any of these cards).

Edit: it should be noted that both of these cards are built to run much hotter than 75* and that you're no where near their threshold before throttling. If 75* is mandatory I'd upgrade to Maxwell or get a nice aftermarket cooler (Accelero, MK-26, "the mod", et cetera).

·
Registered
33 Posts
VaporX is pretty bad cooler and card in general, but XFX is even worse.
Also three fans design coolers are useless, third fan doesn't improve anything, only makes it noiser.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The cooler on the DD is pretty good for the gpu, but not so much for the vrms. The vrms might run very hot when overclocking.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry dwarf View Post

VaporX is pretty bad cooler and card in general, but XFX is even worse.
Also three fans design coolers are useless, third fan doesn't improve anything, only makes it noiser.
Quote:

Sorry, I've checked out XFX images, it looks pretty decent, stick with it, if you ask me.
Your first post put your credibility is serious doubt.
Contrary to your statement, three fan GPU coolers are known for their good cooling and low noise levels.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've had XFX cards and had no trouble with cooling. If Sapphire Vapor X and XFX DD coolers are bad, this is the first I've heard of it. That's just my experience, though you may have had another.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Contrary to your statement, three fan GPU coolers are known for their good cooling and low noise levels.
smile.gif
Well, if you compare two random coolers with 2 fan and 3 fan design, the last one might be better, but most likely because it's bigger in general. But what actually middle fan does is interfere his airflow with both of side fans. Just think about it, removing middle fan won't change anything. You may also want to go through TPU's reviews, they have temperature and noise level comparsion, and windforce3x is always performing worse than Asus or MSI coolers.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Quote:

Well, if you compare two random coolers with 2 fan and 3 fan design, the last one might be better, but most likely because it's bigger in general. But what actually middle fan does is interfere his airflow with both of side fans. Just think about it, removing middle fan won't change anything. You may also want to go through TPU's reviews, they have temperature and noise level comparsion, and windforce3x is always performing worse than Asus or MSI coolers.
Your lack of understand of airflow is showing.
Look at the fin-pack and how the airflow from fans move through the fins. All fans are needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Your lack of understand of airflow is showing.
You little arrogant here, but actually right about fins. Yeah, if you build heatsink like this you might need third fan. But I still prefer heatsink to be more wider, than longer, so you could deal with only two fans and get the same efficiency. This card is ridiculously long.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
To be certain, windforce usually offers lower core temps, better VRM temps, and usually includes more heat sinks than twinfrozr or directcu. They typically have a very aggressive fan curve as well, which accounts for the noise. If GB used better/larger fans I'd highly recommend them (the smaller fans are actually why they use more than competitors).

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Quote:

You little arrogant here, but actually right about fins. Yeah, if you build heatsink like this you might need third fan. But I still prefer heatsink to be more wider, than longer, so you could deal with only two fans and get the same efficiency. This card is ridiculously long.
Not arrogant, but very low tolerance for know-it-all attitude of some people who make totally inaccurate statements.

I do respect you for admitting you were wrong.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

I'm not saying you're wrong, but talk about judge and jury
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

I'm not saying you're wrong, but talk about judge and jury
tongue.gif
Not at all. Just very low tolerance for know-it-all attitude of some people who make false statements as fact. .

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, i was away but came back to a nice little thread. So the windforce 3x style coolers get the job done even though the fin placement is different to the other cooler types. Not an issue at all tbh, if the card had 6 fans and was quiet/cool in the process, its a win/win but im still slightly worried as no -one has given anything solid on these coolers in a FT02 environment. At this moment i am leaning towards the Double D cooler.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts