Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts

·
2,327 Posts
Wow that's a new low. It's bad enough that there are no glossy options, now this.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
i dunno, at this point they might as well just sell them as 4K and push 1440P exclusively to premium lineups, although many users might complain but its still the more logical choice.

on the other hand, some china manufacturers are selling "4K monitors" with 1080P panels, they're equipped with a 4K input then downscaled to 1080P, you can check this out on Alibaba.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Wow that's a new low. It's bad enough that there are no glossy options, now this.
Maybe that's why there are no glossy options - it'd be easier to spot!

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,887 Posts
If they were 1080p panels, it would make perfect sense. As all product will be (or already is?) 4K and 1080p can scale perfectly.

With 1440p... this is really a kick in the pants to consumers. I'd be fuming if I paid $500 - $700 on a display and it's native resolution wasn't native.

Truth of the matter is that 1440p will likely die off in the next 5 years as it's not a pragmatic / common resolution. The majority of future content will be in 4K. The end of 1440p is just a matter of time, just like the 16:10 era.

Hopefully this article gets expanded and goes into which displays on the market are fooling customers.

On another note... I really wish 16:10 would come back!!

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Wow. What an informative set of articles...

Not a single example to provide to us consumers to warn us about what products not to buy? You know... something useful, like that. What brands and models is this a problem with?

"Just avoid 1440p monitors for now. We don't have a solution for you folks so in the mean time, just run amok on the internet message boards!"

·
Robotic Chemist
3,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
From my experience, I have never seen 4K panels being suggested (by my suppliers) for a 2560 x 1440 solution - it would not be a good end user experience. However, there are scalars that are designed to support 4K monitors are being used for 2560 x 1440 monitor solutions - and working well too.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i dunno, at this point they might as well just sell them as 4K and push 1440P exclusively to premium lineups, although many users might complain but its still the more logical choice.

on the other hand, some china manufacturers are selling "4K monitors" with 1080P panels, they're equipped with a 4K input then downscaled to 1080P, you can check this out on Alibaba.

Sadly 4k projectors under $3000 have this issue too. They use 1080p and sometimes 720p chips and just multi-scan the content and move really fast to shift pixels all over the screen to simulate 4k. They can only produce 1080p worth of pixels at once and per display frame though :mad: People that do this sort of input and scale down to something else should not be allowed to call it 4k.

·
Overclocker
11,638 Posts
False marketing right there. Return such crappy monitors outright. If it was 2880p scaled to 1440p, I would say OK, too bad they didn't enable the 2880p mode, but 2160p scaled to 1440p is not an integer scaling and it will look blurry and unusable for any web browsing, text work, etc. even movies and games will suffer a loss of fine details.

·
Gamer
3,576 Posts
If they were 1080p panels, it would make perfect sense. As all product will be (or already is?) 4K and 1080p can scale perfectly.

With 1440p... this is really a kick in the pants to consumers. I'd be fuming if I paid $500 - $700 on a display and it's native resolution wasn't native.

Truth of the matter is that 1440p will likely die off in the next 5 years as it's not a pragmatic / common resolution. The majority of future content will be in 4K. The end of 1440p is just a matter of time, just like the 16:10 era.

Hopefully this article gets expanded and goes into which displays on the market are fooling customers.

On another note... I really wish 16:10 would come back!!
meh 21:9 is the future

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Truth of the matter is that 1440p will likely die off in the next 5 years as it's not a pragmatic / common resolution. The majority of future content will be in 4K. The end of 1440p is just a matter of time
I wonder if we will have GPU's that can run new graphically impressive games with high/ultra settings at 4K with good framerates by then.
I feel like I'm the only person these days that isn't happy about absolutely decimating my performance for more resolution, people are already talking about 8K...
How bout 120fps being the new 60fps

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,887 Posts
I wonder if we will have GPU's that can run new graphically impressive games with high/ultra settings at 4K with good framerates by then.
I feel like I'm the only person these days that isn't happy about absolutely decimating my performance for more resolution, people are already talking about 8K...
4K will come faster because 4K is driven by other media, not only gaming. Television, films, phones, cameras, etc. are all the markets where 4K is a selling feature.

Believe me, I completely agree. I rather invest in a display that is high quality with a high refresh rate over 4K. Reality is, 4K will be mainstream. It is already mainstream for any large display.

I have my QNIX (1440p, 96hz) from 2013 and it was about $300 CAD. A great investment at the time. Next time I make a purchase, I want OLED & 120hz. Until that happens... I wait :)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
1. Most of the performance you were using running "1080p Ultra" was probably being wasted on effects that were beyond the capabilities of your display (character model quality was well past saturating 1080p resolution years ago).

2. Most AAA games have an internal resolution slider, not to mention "It's A PC". No-one has ever forced you to run games at 4K (on PC, and all current consoles still have the cheaper hardware versions that exclusively support 1080p. "Sigh" we really need a Nintendo 4K).

3. The higher your hardware resolution goes the better dynamic resolution scaling looks.
With all the post process effects being used in games nowdays, it will be hard to tell the difference between a native 5K panel and a game running at 5K on an 8K panel (as long as the 8K panel is the same size as the 5K panel).

4. The entire gaming industry is going bonkers for dynamic scaling right now, complaining about the GPU cost of higher resolution displays is mostly pointless when almost nothing runs at native 4K yet.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Somebody somewhere might be doing something.

·
User
2,334 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts