Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 1758 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
If we focus specifically on AMD FreeSync, the technology delivers. It does exactly what it was designed to do and worked as expected. The particular monitor we used for testing-the LG 34UM67-didn't wow us like some other monitors we have evaluated lately due to its relatively low pixel density, limited dynamic refresh rate range (48-75Hz), and a few other minor quibbles, but at $649 for 34" of real estate, an IPS panel, and FreeSync support, we can't really complain. The LG 34UM67's 2560x1080 resolution is also "low enough" that you won't need monstrous amounts of GPU horsepower to game smoothly at its native resolution.
Hot Hardware Review

Anandtech Review

PC World Review

Vortez Review

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Ideally, we'd like to see AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel all adopt the same, open, adaptive refresh rate technology across the board so there's no consumer confusion between G-SYNC, FreeSync, or the generic DP Adaptive Sync,
This. I hope Nvidia does with G-sync the same thing AMD did with Mantle. AMD "took one for the team" with Mantle, probably spending a ton of money on it only to drop it and open-source it. But it blazed a new path and forced the rest of the industry to advance, resulting in new low-overhead APIs like Metal, DX12, and specifically Vulcan, which is basically an open form of Mantle that works across all systems. In the same way AMD pioneered a low-level API, Nvidia pioneered adaptive refresh displays, and I hope the same thing happens with this technology.

·
Registered
731 Posts
48-75 Hz range is not good at all. Hopefully other FreeSync monitors will support much wider ranges. This monitor doesn't seem like very good value, considering it's pretty much just a 27" 1080p monitor extended to 21:9 and FreeSync added. How that translates into 649$ I don't know.

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
Holy crap we finally have a review.

Seems a little quaint for the first review of Freesync we get to be of a 2560x1080p75 IPS widescreen. Bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.

And at $649?! Jesus...

Oh whatever we are all just here for whether Freesync works and it does.

Now begins the wait for an in depth review...

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsu View Post

48-75 Hz range is not good at all. Hopefully other FreeSync monitors will support much wider ranges. This monitor doesn't seem like very good value, considering it's pretty much just a 27" 1080p monitor extended to 21:9 and FreeSync added. How that translates into 649$ I don't know.
Grade A IPS panel, LG, 75 Hz.

It's about an average retail price for what it is.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

Grade A IPS panel, LG, 75 Hz.

It's about an average retail price for what it is.
The 29" model goes for half the price which is much more reasonable. I think this could be a decent monitor if it was priced at max 50% more than your average 27" 1080P IPS panel. It being 75Hz default isn't very impressive, and FreeSync is not supposed to increase the price.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post

Honestly this monitor should be $450 max. Its ridiculous.
You are more likely to get a 4k IPS display for $450 down the road than any specialty resolution such as this for that price.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post

Holy crap we finally have a review.

Seems a little quaint for the first review of Freesync we get to be of a 2560x1080p75 IPS widescreen. Bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.

And at $649?! Jesus...

Oh whatever we are all just here for whether Freesync works and it does.

Now begins the wait for an in depth review...
I think this is their 34" 2560x1080p version... LG also has a 29" 2560x1080p version that suppose to have Freesync too...

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Can't wait for a 27" 1440p 120/144Hz IPS Freesync monitor! My 290X is ready for the resolution upgrade
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Current situation sucks, I want a monitor which supports both AMD and Nvidia. I'm sure Nvidia could easily support Adaptive Sync but they choose not to. Maybe I should just try to sell my 780 Ti and go with AMD, G-sync is too expensive.

·
Registered
868 Posts
This review reminded me that AMD could have a significant competitive advantage over Intel with their integrated GPUs but this monitor is terrible for testing that. 48-75hz refresh range is too demanding for iGPUs on decent settings.

Overall I'm not so fond of how this review was handled in general. I know TFT decided to delay their review but other sites like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech would've touched on various things a lot more indepthly than this.

Meh

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Wake me up when there's a real technical analysis - having a page literally titled 'Subjective Analysis' does not a proper review make. There were many subjective comments on here regarding AMDs frame pacing woes, some flat out denied the issue whilst others donned tinfoil hats screaming conspiracy, proper technical evaluation is required with a side by side comparison of both adaptive sync technologies.

If a monitor's going to cost me £500, I'm going to be damn sure the performance is bang on.

Also - 48Hz minimum with Freesync on is a bit poop, but at least it's a start.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Hardware
If we focus specifically on AMD FreeSync, the technology delivers. It does exactly what it was designed to do and worked as expected.
Over 1 year.

Over 1 year of a few selected individuals bashing this technology nonstop making up arguments because they didn't understand the fundamentals behind it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouch View Post

Can't wait for a 27" 1440p 120/144Hz IPS Freesync monitor! My 290X is ready for the resolution upgrade
tongue.gif
I guess you're looking for the BenQ XL2730Z. 1440p, 1ms GTG, 144hz and FreeSync.
Edit: TN Panel though...

That said however, I have to wonder about the "Free" part as here in Aus, the BenQ XL2730Z costs exactly what I paid for my ROG Swift.
rolleyes.gif

1 - 20 of 1758 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.