·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMD continues to kill it!

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Today AMD lifts the embargo on Radeon RX 6800 series reviews and product sales. Learn more about the graphics cards before you buy them… or buy them and then read/watch the review

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah all sold out (if they even got any to begin with). At PC Case Gear in Australia too. Haven't checked any other Australian sites yet.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,928 Posts
Frametimes for the 6000 series look really good! Far more consistent frames vs 3000 series, at least according to GN, though neither experience is bad. Rage mode and SMA looks largely worthless at this point, being within margin of error most of the time.

Of course, good luck getting a card. Across a myriad of sites, it was never in stock, even at AMD.com

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Competitive with the 30 series on all fronts! Performance, price, and availability.

• Rep+
Reactions: bkrownd

·
Vandelay Industries
2,101 Posts
Good to see competition, bad to see more basically paper launches. Hopefully the aib launches in 1-2 weeks will buck the trend.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Good performance on the rasterization front, but RT is very weak. Gonna buy the 3080. But it's great to see an AMD option on the table

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had one in my cart at amd just kept getting 503 error. Newegg I saw some "in stock" but if you tried to add they would just say "oops" and Amazon I only saw one 6800 non xt ever show up as in stock and if you tried to add it your cart was empty. Same bs different launch.

·
2,928 Posts
I had one in my cart at amd just kept getting 503 error. Newegg I saw some "in stock" but if you tried to add they would just say "oops" and Amazon I only saw one 6800 non xt ever show up as in stock and if you tried to add it your cart was empty. Same bs different launch.
Exact same happened to me.

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
As far as I can tell, the only place that actually sold any 6800XTs was amd.com, and those were gone within a minute. All other sites never were able to add to cart

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Yup. I was really hoping it would be different but I didn't think it would after seeing the CPU launch. I'm sure the excuses are incoming but these launches (3000, 5000, 6000) were for keeping investors happy, not selling products.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at more reviews, it appears that either there is a driver issue or the 256-bit memory bus is having an impact at 4K resolutions in some games. Faster or equal to a 3080 @ 1440p, suddenly becomes a 10-12% slower at 4K.

·
Overclocker
11,634 Posts
Is it just me or does at even first glance the 6800 series look overpriced? So far I see it fits between 3070/3080 in performance, costs almost the same as a 3080, has tracing performance of 3070 at best and worse in Control. Efficient thanks to 7nm. Frametime consistency looks better in some titles, nice (thanks large cache, what else would that be). Performance per dollar the 3070 seems to be beating both 6800 and XT... And that's probably going to be the main gripe I think for many, why give up all the support NV has right now in software, tools, tools from NV etc. give up tracing performance, ... and go with an AMD card.

Will read more later, it seems they are as expected great cards but the price is not competitive at all. OC, a little.

The smaller node advantage finally shows up, sadly not so much in increased performance but in good/acceptable power consumption.

The cooler design, I mean performance, I don't care about design. 77C according to TPU? With a 200+W card? What on earth did they do to screw it up that much. My 2070 that runs 200-290W doesn't do 77C, ever, and it's a cheapo MSI model. But at least they run the triple fans slow? Maybe that's why the temps are so high. Yet it's supposedly more effective than a 3080 cooler? Odd, very odd that it runs the GPU so hot.

Can't find any new cards for sale, no AMD no NV cards available.

Still think that lower price would suit these cards better, 6800 at same cost as 3070 ($500) and 6800XT ($600) between 3070 and 3080, not pretty much tied with a 3080. Bring on the price war you cooperating duopoly.

·
2,928 Posts
Looking at more reviews, it appears that either there is a driver issue or the 256-bit memory bus is having an impact at 4K resolutions in some games. Faster or equal to a 3080 @ 1440p, suddenly becomes a 10-12% slower at 4K.
Yeah. Based on the reviews I've seen, I think I've changed my mind. I'm leaning nVidia IF they release a card @ or under $1k with more VRAM. DLSS support was added for my most played game, War Thunder. Especially considering my attempts to get a 6800 XT failed spectacularly, as it was never in stock for me and I've been searching/refreshing since 0400 this morning PST.

Basically, I want a card, @ or sub-$1k with more VRAM than my current 1080 ti. Who ever delivers first will most likely get my money, but I'm thinking I may stick with nVidia if the 3080 ti rumors are somewhat true.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,487 Posts
Good performance on the rasterization front, but RT is very weak. Gonna buy the 3080. But it's great to see an AMD option on the table
Well you're not likely buying either one of them anytime soon.

I'm a little salty about both companies launching product lines in 2020 that clearly should have been 2021 launches. Buying something from them now would feel like giving the dog a treat for pissing on the carpet.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ironic given how people were going on about how 10GB wasn't enough for 4k, when in reality 256bit was the real limiting factor. Also, RT performance is not impressive.

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
So, for me in terms of specs AMD has the edge in the vram department. Nvidiia has DLSS out now. As a 4K gamer, I would get a 3080. I want every drop of performance. The 6900XT should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yeah. Based on the reviews I've seen, I think I've changed my mind. I'm leaning nVidia IF they release a card @ or under $1k with more VRAM. DLSS support was added for my most played game, War Thunder. Especially considering my attempts to get a 6800 XT failed spectacularly, as it was never in stock for me and I've been searching/refreshing since 0400 this morning PST.

Basically, I want a card, @ or sub-$1k with more VRAM than my current 1080 ti. Who ever delivers first will most likely get my money, but I'm thinking I may stick with nVidia if the 3080 ti rumors are somewhat true.
I just bought a basic 3080, gonna swap it to a 3080Ti when that becomes available.

1 - 20 of 367 Posts