Overclock.net banner

381 - 400 of 573 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,243 Posts
AMD needs a kick in the balls like nvidia got with the launches. AMD cards are no where to be found except with ebay scalpers.

Absolute disgrace, and Frank Azor should be paying everyone 10$ for his stupid ass tweet.

,,i,, ( - , - ) ,,i,, to you AMD and your ******ed overpirced AIB cards to boot.
Frank was always going to lose because you had AMD and Nvidia buyers trying to buy GPU. Also at this point, you have people basically scalping. You cant blame Nvidia/AMD for this. Anyone with 2 brain cell would buy 6800 or 3070 or 3080 or 6800 XT, sell and get more money and get free gpu upgrade.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,687 Posts
We can't blame them for scalpers, but we can (and should) blame them for creating the situation. If they didn't start selling the cards months before the supply was ready then the scalpers wouldn't exist for anything other than the limited quantity models.

·
WaterCooler
3,895 Posts
Pascal:
GTX 1070 - GP104 - $379+ (more like $400+)
GTX 1080 - GP104 - $599+ (more like $650+)
GTX 1080Ti - GP102 - $699+ (launched 10 months later)

Turing:
RTX 2070 - TU106 - $599
RTX 2080 - TU104 - $799
RTX 2080Ti - TU102 - $999 (more like $1150)

Ampere:
RTX 3070 - GA104 - $499
RTX 3080 - GA102 - $699
RTX 3090 - GA102 - $1499

Lets be clear on this. Maxwell was an AMAZING value GPU lineup. Pascal was decent value. Turing was TERRIBLE value. Ampere is also decent value, sans the RTX 3090.

The RTX 2070 was TU106... that was disgusting. The SUPER lineup from Nvidia should have been the launch cards, not the mid-cycle refresh.

I maintain that the price was a course correct moving from Turing -> Ampere.
Ok, I will totally grant that there is something to be said with the chips used in the 3080 and 3070 models vs Turing. That's fair.

It's also fair to point out that you are likely never going to see those MSRP's again unless you can find an FE model. I saw 3070s as high as $630 on launch day from AIBs and likewise 3080's were usually far more than the $699 price. Its basically been confirmed by AIBs that these MSRPs Nvidia launched Ampere with are not sustainable for them. So like Turing, you are essentially still seeing high prices. I suppose you get better chips now at each segment.

In summary, guess I'd agree with Zealot. Specs/perf have course corrected from Turing. I wouldn't say pricing really has.

Just my opinion. Many are content to just call it the "new norm". God I'm tired of that term this year.

Of course AMD isn't helping matter by overpricing their cards either.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The overclocking results from 6800xt was disappointing i will say. For an jump to 2.7ghz, the gains are so marginal and requires better pcb components

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
The overclocking results from 6800xt was disappointing i will say. For an jump to 2.7ghz, the gains are so marginal and requires better pcb components
In a way it is awesome, being able to clock up 2.6GHz+ easy on air. But yes the actual performance gained from OC is disapointing. Not a lot of fps gain for an extra 100 watts power and big MHz jump. Something is bottlenecking the performance of the cores pretty badly. The card has way more render pipelines and texture units, so those wouldnt appear to be the problem at first glance. The memory system seems the biggest suspect given the very low l2 cache per render pipeline and core cluster, or the memory bus itself being 256-bit even though it has a decent cache on that. And yet, overclocking the memory by 150MHz doesnt really add performance either. Perhaps the scheduling is an issue? I have seen people post about sudden drop in FPS and low GPU usage at times during tests so maybe the scheduler is not able to feed data to the card well or there is a bug in it somewhere. Edit: or perhaps the implementation of the 128MB L3 cache is causing issues right now in a similar way Bulldozer was at first, where data contention from different clusters keep ejecting data needed by other clusters and causing a bottleneck in that cache system.

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
Ok, I will totally grant that there is something to be said with the chips used in the 3080 and 3070 models vs Turing. That's fair.

It's also fair to point out that you are likely never going to see those MSRP's again unless you can find an FE model. I saw 3070s as high as $630 on launch day from AIBs and likewise 3080's were usually far more than the $699 price. Its basically been confirmed by AIBs that these MSRPs Nvidia launched Ampere with are not sustainable for them. So like Turing, you are essentially still seeing high prices. I suppose you get better chips now at each segment.

In summary, guess I'd agree with Zealot. Specs/perf have course corrected from Turing. I wouldn't say pricing really has.

Just my opinion. Many are content to just call it the "new norm". God I'm tired of that term this year.

Of course AMD isn't helping matter by overpricing their cards either.
I think we need to just accept that GPUs aren't going to get cheaper unless competition kicks up majorly. Nvidia posted record profits this previous year, despite the poor performance of their Turing GPUs. If Nvidia can get their yields up for Ampere, they're going to post record profits again due to demand.

The difference this time around, though, is that AMD's RX 6000 cards are very competitive. Hell, they're faster in rasterization performance. If we're lucky, we may get a bit of a price war.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
I think we need to just accept that GPUs aren't going to get cheaper unless competition kicks up majorly. Nvidia posted record profits this previous year, despite the poor performance of their Turing GPUs. If Nvidia can get their yields up for Ampere, they're going to post record profits again due to demand.

The difference this time around, though, is that AMD's RX 6000 cards are very competitive. Hell, they're faster in rasterization performance. If we're lucky, we may get a bit of a price war.
Who’s left to complete with? This is the new pricing norm, it’s never going back to how it was.
Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a fantasy world. Price fixing is the new norm, way more money to be made with peace. War isn’t good for the stock price

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Who’s left to complete with? This is the new pricing norm, it’s never going back to how it was.
Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a fantasy world. Price fixing is the new norm, way more money to be made with peace. War isn’t good for the stock price
Hopefully Intel enters the GPU market in a big way. Though Intel of course never feels the need to be cheap in price so those cards will probably be the same price or higher than Nvidia. Intel may decide though to take a loss of any profit on the first gen GPUs to undercut the competition and get their foot in the door. They have often done this behavior when trying to break into new markets in the past decade (Atoms, mobile CPUs, and modems). Who knows, With a three way competition going on, maybe it actually will make Nvidia and AMD lower prices by $50-100 in their product stacks to then try undercutting Intel from the market. One can hope anyway

·
WaterCooler
3,895 Posts

What price war? Nvidia clearly can't lower 30-series pricing as evidenced by the AIB's recent talks with GN. And AMD is content to instead raise their prices to Nvidia level and only slightly undercut.

Moreover product scarcity has meant people are willing to pay whatever to get a hold of these cards. This has also meant that previous generations cards have not seen any reduction in price either.

There's no price war coming anytime soon in any way that benefits the consumer. There is no business incentive for it yet and in Nvidia's case, possibly no room for it.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,053 Posts
What price war? Nvidia clearly can't lower 30-series pricing as evidenced by the AIB's recent talks with GN. And AMD is content to instead raise their prices to Nvidia level and only slightly undercut.
The price war of who gets to price their products higher.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Hopefully, Intel enters the GPU market in a big way. Though Intel of course never feels the need to be cheap in price so those cards will probably be the same price or higher than Nvidia. Intel may decide though to take a loss of any profit on the first gen GPUs to undercut the competition and get their foot in the door. They have often done this behavior when trying to break into new markets in the past decade (Atoms, mobile CPUs, and modems). Who knows, With a three way competition going on, maybe it actually will make Nvidia and AMD lower prices by $50-100 in their product stacks to then try undercutting Intel from the market. One can hope anyway
It’s a sad sad world when one has to rely on Intel to be a leader in lowering prices.

• Rep+
Reactions: Redwoodz

·
PC Evangelist
47,243 Posts
We can't blame them for scalpers, but we can (and should) blame them for creating the situation. If they didn't start selling the cards months before the supply was ready then the scalpers wouldn't exist for anything other than the limited quantity models.
Well, it's with everything right now. Any supply would be outstripped by demand right now. PS5, Xbox, CPUs, GPUs vs a lot of people that want them and some that want all of them.
Where did you get this info? Please dont tell me from bitwit video. Also u dont need better pcb.. you need more power budget/cooling and a binned GPU.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts

Moreover product scarcity has meant people are willing to pay whatever to get a hold of these cards. This has also meant that previous generations cards have not seen any reduction in price either.

There's no price war coming anytime soon in any way that benefits the consumer. There is no business incentive for it yet and in Nvidia's case, possibly no room for it.
Nvidia could lower the price they charge Aibs, but we all know they won't. It's not like Nvidia's margins are slim.

So it's possible, but not probable and it's solely on Nvidia.

·
WaterCooler
3,895 Posts
Nvidia could lower the price they charge Aibs, but we all know they won't. It's not like Nvidia's margins are slim.

So it's possible, but not probable and it's solely on Nvidia.
Right. Nvidia's not going to eat it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well, it's with everything right now. Any supply would be outstripped by demand right now. PS5, Xbox, CPUs, GPUs vs a lot of people that want them and some that want all of them.

Where did you get this info? Please dont tell me from bitwit video. Also u dont need better pcb.. you need more power budget/cooling and a binned GPU.
That was my point, the board has to binned and has more phases to support higher power budget. I watched Der8auer. I don't trust most of the youtube reviewers honestly. They make great entertainment thats all.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
This whole gpu generation has been kind of overhyped but thats on us for falling for the stuff coming out of youtube video. Got to stop listening to these youtube people.

There are nice gains don’t get me wrong but the gains they were hyping (50% above 2080ti without ray tracing) were on the misleading side

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
that red devil is something special, all is about availability right now....

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
So this was an absolute paper launch for the board partners it would seem. Zero units in the wild today.

I'm officially done even bothering to look for a new GPU now and will wait for the 3080ti.

My hope is that Nvidia is already producing these cards (as the rumors of the 20gb variants have been around since Amphere launch), and won't release them until they have plenty of supply to meet demand. Insofar as I'm aware they are basically just GA102 chips that were a little too good to be dumped as 3080's but not quite good enough for 3090's so stockpiling those chips won't have a negative effect on 3080 availability or 3090 availability.

I'm probably full of crap and we will get yet another paper launch, but we will see.

·
WaterCooler
3,895 Posts
So this was an absolute paper launch for the board partners it would seem. Zero units in the wild today.

I'm officially done even bothering to look for a new GPU now and will wait for the 3080ti.

My hope is that Nvidia is already producing these cards (as the rumors of the 20gb variants have been around since Amphere launch), and won't release them until they have plenty of supply to meet demand. Insofar as I'm aware they are basically just GA102 chips that were a little too good to be dumped as 3080's but not quite good enough for 3090's so stockpiling those chips won't have a negative effect on 3080 availability or 3090 availability.

I'm probably full of crap and we will get yet another paper launch, but we will see.
Yep, basically where I am with it. I was never planning to buy at launch but was hoping AMD wasn't going to have a "paper" launch like Nvidia. As far as I can tell AMD's launch was worse. Screw 'em both.

381 - 400 of 573 Posts