Overclock.net banner

401 - 420 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah same, I was 100% in to get a 3080 or 6800XT in Q4 2020. But I will just wait for a proper supply and then get a card when they come back down to MSRP.
Hopefully my 390 agrees and won't die on me yet.

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
I never saw any first hand, but seeing on Reddit reports of AIB cards being $800 for the 6800 XT? Wow.

Yeah I am kinda done with this gen of new cards for now. What a joke.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If no one buys prices will settle, as simple as that

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
With how crazy demand is right now, they could probably crank the prices up even higher if they wanted to.
Yep. Good ol' supply/demand.

Price war... 😂 Maybe, but it'll be a price war up not down.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts
So rumor mill has it Nvidia sold $175m worth of Ampere cards to miners. I wonder if AMD did something similar...ofc if true.

·
Overclocker
3,848 Posts
Strange reviews for the AIB variants with the Sapphire Nitro+/PowerColor RD. Hardware Unboxed/TechSpot only reviewed one game! That's a 1st. And none of them on a AMD MB/Zen 3 setup.

I wonder why they did that??? :rolleyes:

Needless to say these are the cards to get

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
So rumor mill has it Nvidia sold $175m worth of Ampere cards to miners. I wonder if AMD did something similar...ofc if true.
Yeah, I saw that too. Would make sense though. Granted, when you compare that to their 2.7 billion quarter total it might not seem like much until you realize that also includes Nvidia Switches, selling older units, and laptop chips and that 175m was exclusively 3070s and 3080s. Now that 175 million to miners makes up a pretty healthy chunk of the 3080's and 3070's produced.

I still think AMD's shortage has more to do with AMD directing all their productionto meet the demands for the Xbox and PS5s than it does with selling their entire stock to miners first. Not that they are above doing such, but rather because I think keeping Sony and Microsoft happy is their number 1 priority.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts
At $800 a pop it would equate to 218,750 units.......That would have satisfied a good amount of gaming demand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Steve from HU shared what board partners said about price, "margins are thin" with the custom cards:
Not sure how this factors in but something fishy is going on here. Maybe we shouldn't be so charitable with these big companies after all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I never saw any first hand, but seeing on Reddit reports of AIB cards being $800 for the 6800 XT? Wow.

Well I can't say for USD prices, but I can confirm EUR prices are well into the idiotic range. I'm seeing 850-900€ for AIB xt's at my usual stores.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts
This whole msrp deal is disgusting. It's a shame they will not only get away with it, but will be encouraged to continue the trend in the future. You would think with a market of costumers who should be somewhat logical, we wouldn't see mindless buying in mass, but alas we do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Canada is in a weird spot were we have next to nothing in terms of stock at Canadian stores and the major online focused retailers are USA based.
The prices don't make sense either, based on what I can find and compare:
6800xt Asus strix = cad$ 1250/ usd$ 960
3080 Asus strix = 1150/880
The MSRP for the 6800xt ref is supposed to be 850 cad/650 usd
3080 cheapest = 950/730
6800xt ref current = 920/700
(Cad prices tends to and extra 20~30 more then msrp to cover the cost of shipping anyway just comparing the mark ups between competition)
Few more E-tailers have listed for cards so I'll add another card
3080 tuf oc = 1040/800
6800xt tuf oc = 1100/840

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

Asus has an AIO cooled model for $899. At that price, I'd rather get/wait for a 6900XT...

This has to be one of the weirdest launches on both sides (where the FE/Ref cards are the best P:p and have decent enough cooling to make the AIBs not worth it IMO; shame that their supplies suck).

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,876 Posts
I think Frank Azor from AMD owes a lot of people $10.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
lol

that's true

·
Expert pin bender
2,285 Posts
Frank was always going to lose because you had AMD and Nvidia buyers trying to buy GPU. Also at this point, you have people basically scalping. You cant blame Nvidia/AMD for this. Anyone with 2 brain cell would buy 6800 or 3070 or 3080 or 6800 XT, sell and get more money and get free gpu upgrade.
If i am buying a GPU it's because i want/need it. I am not going to resell it on ebay and get hosed by scammers, there are vigilante folks(scrap/fake accounts) bidding on scalped ebay gpus to screw with the sellers. Just cause your home goes up in value doesn't mean to sell it right away. If your home value has gone up so has the rest of the market, and the money you make will null out when you have to buy another home which is also inflated at same time.

·
PC Evangelist
47,253 Posts
If i am buying a GPU it's because i want/need it. I am not going to resell it on ebay and get hosed by scammers, there are vigilante folks(scrap/fake accounts) bidding on scalped ebay gpus to screw with the sellers. Just cause your home goes up in value doesn't mean to sell it right away. If your home value has gone up so has the rest of the market, and the money you make will null out when you have to buy another home which is also inflated at same time.
You can buy multiple cards and as they come in you can sell them for more.

401 - 420 of 576 Posts