Overclock.net banner

421 - 440 of 577 Posts

·
The Challenger
2,290 Posts
Margins are thin because supposedly the supply chain has become extremely expensive.

"Apparently AMD AIBs were running into difficulties getting air freight out of China. I was told that Apple has sucked up a huge allocation on that service with new iPhone shipments. And Apple swings a bigger stick than any AIBs, or AMD, or NVIDIA for that matter. Two AIBs told me they ran into shipping delays and had to pay premiums to move cards, as much as 3X cost to ship. So just another thing driving retail costs up."

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts
Ya, idk if I'm buying that excuse. We are not talking about large items here. If TVs haven't increased by some margin due to such a thing, I just don't see it. Maybe someone can explain why other freight would be excluded?

·
PC Evangelist
47,279 Posts
Ya, idk if I'm buying that excuse. We are not talking about large items here. If TVs haven't increased by some margin due to such a thing, I just don't see it. Maybe someone can explain why other freight would be excluded?
TVs are in crazy deal too. Also TVs dont come out now. They dont have to pay extra for shipping fast.

·
WaterCooler
3,897 Posts
Well unless new TVs are launching, not exactly the same thing as an AIB trying to make launch dates with available products and paying higher shipping costs to do so instead of presumably doing more standard shipping at a lower cost. I can see it.

·
The Challenger
2,290 Posts
Normally passenger airplanes are also used for cargo. They are not flying anymore, mostly. So all that's left are the dedicated shipping companies. Those are already more expensive, and on top of that, since everyone needs to ship through them, there is competition for space, which means the one that can pay more gets priority.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Go try and buy a large household appliance like a Dishwasher, Refridgerator, etc. etc. Your options are wait for a 3 month back order, or buy one at extremely inflated prices.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,138 Posts
Go try and buy a large household appliance like a Dishwasher, Refridgerator, etc. etc. Your options are wait for a 3 month back order, or buy one at extremely inflated prices.
Completely different size, weight, to price ratios.

As I actually am in the process of buying a fridge in the UK, I can tell ya the impact isn't really there (in the UK) on fridge/freezers.

I get the air freight variable mentioned above. Wonder how that effects consoles as they are somewhat similar to the variables mentioned...ie... launching time, size, weight, price, etc...

·
PC Evangelist
47,279 Posts
Completely different size, weight, to price ratios.

As I actually am in the process of buying a fridge in the UK, I can tell ya the impact isn't really there (in the UK) on fridge/freezers.

I get the air freight variable mentioned above. Wonder how that effects consoles as they are somewhat similar to the variables mentioned...ie... launching time, size, weight, price, etc...
Consoles have been ready for months. They basically build up stock and ran out. Now it will be much slower.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,876 Posts
Only things that need to be shipped in a hurry are by air, which I don't think includes millions of GPU's. Everything else takes it's few weeks to a month voyage on a container ship.

·
Performance is the bible
7,169 Posts
Pricing is just messed up, not that people can even buy the cards right now. No clue if there's a legit reason to raise prices so high or supply chains steadily raising prices on in damn produc.
Most likely a combination of people along the line want an increase pay, plus the manufacturers themselves wants to join in on the extra piece of pie.

·
Registered
861 Posts
This whole msrp deal is disgusting. It's a shame they will not only get away with it, but will be encouraged to continue the trend in the future. You would think with a market of costumers who should be somewhat logical, we wouldn't see mindless buying in mass, but alas we do.
No I would not think. Ever since the GTX680/Titan era, then on to the 2000 series, this should not be of any surprise to you. The generation of PC gamers that replaced me have almost Zero standards and will even defend many of the utterly ridiculous practices that the big companies have practiced on their customer base. We live in this influencer/mindless generation. Just like the people that pre-order games from publishers even though they have a long track record of producing garbage and lying to their potential customers.

I doubt we will ever see a large enough group of people vote with their wallets ever again. Those that don't stand for any of this are a niche group of people now.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,515 Posts
Canada is in a weird spot were we have next to nothing in terms of stock at Canadian stores and the major online focused retailers are USA based.
The prices don't make sense either, based on what I can find and compare:
6800xt Asus strix = cad$ 1250/ usd$ 960
3080 Asus strix = 1150/880
The MSRP for the 6800xt ref is supposed to be 850 cad/650 usd
3080 cheapest = 950/730
6800xt ref current = 920/700
(Cad prices tends to and extra 20~30 more then msrp to cover the cost of shipping anyway just comparing the mark ups between competition)
Few more E-tailers have listed for cards so I'll add another card
3080 tuf oc = 1040/800
6800xt tuf oc = 1100/840
i think your economy might benefit by exporting more maple syrup and bacon products

- a morbidly obese southern neighbor.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,072 Posts
The generation of PC gamers that replaced me have almost Zero standards and will even defend many of the utterly ridiculous practices that the big companies have practiced on their customer base. We live in this influencer/mindless generation.
I think it is more likely that your generation grew up and has more disposable income now. It is like how people who have progressed in their carriers will spend huge amounts of money on golf clubs.

There is no good reason golf clubs should be so expensive but people with disposable income are willing to spend a lot on their hobbies without caring very much about real value. It is a hobby, the value is all about how it makes you feel anyway. :p

I doubt we will ever see a large enough group of people vote with their wallets ever again. Those that don't stand for any of this are a niche group of people now.
Have we ever though? I think you are giving your generation WAY too much credit. With most gamers being new to their carriers at the time it wasn't intentionally voting with their wallet so much as being unable to afford more. Generations older than that didn't play computer games as adults, so were not targeted by GPU releases, but now there are a lot of adults with disposable incomes who like playing computer games so manufacturers are creating SKUs targeting them.

Diamonds would also be very cheap if everyone just voted with their wallets. But no, everyone keeps paying stupid amounts of money for diamond engagement rings so their price stays stupidly high. This was started well before your generation, and your generation propagated it just as bad as anyone.

The younger generations actually seem to be wiser in this regard. They don't have the disposable income to be responsible for the rise of $1500 GPUs either, do they?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,072 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,279 Posts
I think it is more likely that your generation grew up and has more disposable income now. It is like how people who have progressed in their carriers will spend huge amounts of money on golf clubs.

There is no good reason golf clubs should be so expensive but people with disposable income are willing to spend a lot on their hobbies without caring very much about real value. It is a hobby, the value is all about how it makes you feel anyway. :p

Have we ever though? I think you are giving your generation WAY too much credit. With most gamers being new to their carriers at the time it wasn't intentionally voting with their wallet so much as being unable to afford more. Generations older than that didn't play computer games as adults, so were not targeted by GPU releases, but now there are a lot of adults with disposable incomes who like playing computer games so manufacturers are creating SKUs targeting them.

Diamonds would also be very cheap if everyone just voted with their wallets. But no, everyone keeps paying stupid amounts of money for diamond engagement rings so their price stays stupidly high. This was started well before your generation, and your generation propagated it just as bad as anyone.

The younger generations actually seem to be wiser in this regard. They don't have the disposable income to be responsible for the rise of $1500 GPUs either, do they?
Pretty much this. When I started PC gaming in 2000s I was buying cheap parts, $200 GPUs (7600GT, HD 4850). Now I dont mind paying $1000 for a GPU.

·
Premium Member
10,834 Posts
This whole msrp deal is disgusting. It's a shame they will not only get away with it, but will be encouraged to continue the trend in the future. You would think with a market of costumers who should be somewhat logical, we wouldn't see mindless buying in mass, but alas we do.

PC gamers went belly up when they allowed forced internet connections to install, consolers (and apple users) have always been sheep.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Pretty much this. When I started PC gaming in 2000s I was buying cheap parts, $200 GPUs (7600GT, HD 4850). Now I dont mind paying $1000 for a GPU.
I am in same boat. My pc gaming was all prebuilt stuff till i finished university and earned income. Then i started into this pc building with an i7-920 at 2k budget, pretty noob at that time. Then went overseas to work for couple years so back to laptop. When i came back rebuilt an desktop at 2k budget also. Now my builds ballooned up to 5-7k overall. Spending a lot on cooling.

Its not impossible to get nvidia 3000 series gpus in canada anymore thankfully. Asus shipments are low but evga refills quite fast. I know someone who wanted 3080ti/6900xt but ultimately managed to get an 3090 instead

·
Premium Member
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Me too, except my limit on a gpu price is not quite as high.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,731 Posts
If i am buying a GPU it's because i want/need it. I am not going to resell it on ebay and get hosed by scammers, there are vigilante folks(scrap/fake accounts) bidding on scalped ebay gpus to screw with the sellers. Just cause your home goes up in value doesn't mean to sell it right away. If your home value has gone up so has the rest of the market, and the money you make will null out when you have to buy another home which is also inflated at same time.
I did this with my house, my neighborhood went up (don't know why). I purchased my house in Dec of 2017 for 192,000. Sold it for 264,000 this past summer. Paid off my 2015 F150, wife's 2019 pathfinder, and some student loans. This was out of necessity though since my new monthly daycare bill for both of my children is 1400 a month.

Then I purchased my current house for 190000, a little bit out dated and can use a little bit of love but all the comps in the new neighborhood are around 230k-250k. Slowly fixing/updating it and hopefully sell within a few years. Only thing stopping me is in oklahoma there is a tax you get charged if you sell you primary residence within 2 years. My next goal when this one sells is to buy land and hire a contractor and build my own.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if an opportunity pops up I will take it to better the life of my family. I got lucky and managed to snag a 6800XT, if I had another or a RTX 3080 and somebody forked up a stupid amount for it I would sell it. But I really need the 6800XT since I already sold my 2080Ti so I will hold on to it.

421 - 440 of 577 Posts