Overclock.net banner

441 - 460 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
These pricing that nVidia really started (as far as I can remember) with the RTX 20 series and its continuing on now and its so meh.

None of the 2080Ti was at real MSRP after the 1st month

Pretty much this. When I started PC gaming in 2000s I was buying cheap parts, $200 GPUs (7600GT, HD 4850). Now I dont mind paying $1000 for a GPU.
I built my 1st PC as a senior project. I think the most expensive part in my build at the time as my AMD FX53 Clawhammer.
Think most parts where below 300 bucks and didn't hit 1000 bucks?
This weekend purchased a 5900X and X570 Master and that was 1g alone...

Now days you can't even find a 1000W PSU below 300 bucks that is in stock.
You have to have outside alerts to even get your hands on a GPU or a CPU, and if you're slow better buy a BOT.

·
PC Evangelist
47,257 Posts
I am in same boat. My pc gaming was all prebuilt stuff till i finished university and earned income. Then i started into this pc building with an i7-920 at 2k budget, pretty noob at that time. Then went overseas to work for couple years so back to laptop. When i came back rebuilt an desktop at 2k budget also. Now my builds ballooned up to 5-7k overall. Spending a lot on cooling.

Its not impossible to get nvidia 3000 series gpus in canada anymore thankfully. Asus shipments are low but evga refills quite fast. I know someone who wanted 3080ti/6900xt but ultimately managed to get an 3090 instead
Funny if that people are forced to buy 3090s. They are worse deal than 2080 Tis.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: EniGma1987

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You can pick them out of the crowd when they run it downvolted to avoid upgrading the psu usually

·
I <3 narcissists
6,722 Posts
“We have had a private conversation with AMD. They assured us that in 4 to 8 weeks there will be AIB cards available at MSRP. They said they enabled the AIBs to achieve the 649 dollars [RX 6800 XT] MSRP and they expect that to happen within 8 weeks.”
– Steve Walton, Hardware Unboxed

4 to 8 weeks (big window) before prices get to where they are supposed to be. I'm not exactly sure what AMD is doing to "enable" the AIB's to not stick it in and break it off. To me this is saying that they are actually launching in Q1 2021.

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
“We have had a private conversation with AMD. They assured us that in 4 to 8 weeks there will be AIB cards available at MSRP. They said they enabled the AIBs to achieve the 649 dollars [RX 6800 XT] MSRP and they expect that to happen within 8 weeks.”

4 to 8 weeks (big window) before prices get to where they are supposed to be. I'm not exactly sure what AMD is doing to "enable" the AIB's to not stick it in and break it off. To me this is saying that they are actually launching in Q1 2021.
Possibly they are giving a rebate to AIBs for the difference. A similar story had popped up with Nvidia's Ampere cards and cheaper AIB cards near MSRP when they launched like the ASUS TUF.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,722 Posts
Seems crazy to think that AMD might have to subsidize the AIBs at these prices, it's not like they are selling them cheap.

·
PC Evangelist
47,257 Posts
Seems crazy to think that AMD might have to subsidize the AIBs at these prices, it's not like they are selling them cheap.
They are cheap. $650 for high end GPU.. Just look at something like 290X vs 6800 XT. 7 years ago with garbage cooler and was selling for $550.

• Rep+
Reactions: NightAntilli

·
I <3 narcissists
6,722 Posts
Well $650 and $999. Can't forget about the $999 one that costs them the same amount of money to make.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Competitors are on 1499, so makes sense 999$

·
I <3 narcissists
6,722 Posts
That is being priced competitively. I was talking about the actual cost, if AMD is having to give money to AIB's in order for them to to be able to sell at $650 and $999 then something is off.

I think its a load of crapola and a way to mask the fact that they are charging $100+ over MSRP because they can (due to shortages), not because they need to in order to make money.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

It's nice that AMD wants AIB cards to be available at MSRP, however there are still retailers which are increasing the price even further as the demand is very high (at least in the EU).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
welcome to the free market

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
It's nice that AMD wants AIB cards to be available at MSRP, however there are still retailers which are increasing the price even further as the demand is very high (at least in the EU).
welcome to the free market
Yep. So don't buy them from said retailers. Simple.

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
That is being priced competitively. I was talking about the actual cost, if AMD is having to give money to AIB's in order for them to to be able to sell at $650 and $999 then something is off.
Same story of rebates to AIBs had popped up for Nvidia and 3080's around launch. Most AIBs are not selling at $699 and are complaining they can't make money at that MSRP. Those that were likely had a rebate.

Would be cool to get a leak of manufacturing costs. Cooler, chip/wafer fab costs, pcb assembly, etc.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,722 Posts
Would be cool to get a leak of manufacturing costs. Cooler, chip/wafer fab costs, pcb assembly, etc.
I would be curious to see that as well. We don't even need the cost of manufacturing the chip itself (and the associated r&d), just what nvidia/amd charges the AIB for them..... but I'm not sure I want to know just how much mark up there is.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,163 Posts
They are cheap. $650 for high end GPU.. Just look at something like 290X vs 6800 XT. 7 years ago with garbage cooler and was selling for $550.
They're not cheap especially with the functionality lost compared to the R9 290X. RDNA is AMD's GTX 680 and people don't care because it's AMD.

·
Old and Crochity
5,263 Posts
Same story of rebates to AIBs had popped up for Nvidia and 3080's around launch. Most AIBs are not selling at $699 and are complaining they can't make money at that MSRP. Those that were likely had a rebate.

I can tell you from my knowledge that every part except the silicon and pcb is under 50 dollars combined cost to Nvidia and the board partners. the silicon is by far the most expensive part the PCB is about another 80 to 100 dollars depending. So 150 plus the chip is your manufacturing cost. I dont know what Ampere silicon is costing per wafer, someone with more knowledge than me would have to comment on that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
I can tell you from my knowledge that every part except the silicon and pcb is under 50 dollars combined cost to Nvidia and the board partners. the silicon is by far the most expensive part the PCB is about another 80 to 100 dollars depending. So 150 plus the chip is your manufacturing cost. I dont know what Ampere silicon is costing per wafer, someone with more knowledge than me would have to comment on that.
The FE coolers were reported at costing a couple hundred before the announcement weren't they? Will have to go back and look.

·
WaterCooler
3,896 Posts
They're not cheap especially with the functionality lost compared to the R9 290X. RDNA is AMD's GTX 680 and people don't care because it's AMD.
At least it was branded as a 5700 XT and not a 5900 XT like Nvidia. The GTX 680 should have been branded the GTX 660.

That said I actually don't disagree with you here if talking total package capability of the card vs Nvidia as a point of comparison for card costs to consumer. Its clear RDNA2 is overpriced, and frankly so was the 5700 XT.

441 - 460 of 577 Posts