Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Cherry is a well-known brand for mechanical keyboard aficionados. The popular German switch manufacturer, every once in a blue moon, produces its own top-of-the-line keyboard as they have done with the Cherry MX Board 6.0. The $219 keyboard combines Cherry's famed switches with a new proprietary technology that favors writers, programmers and other quick typists.

I went fingers-on with the MX Board 6.0 at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2015, and my biggest regret for the show this year will be going home to New York without one of these devices in tow. The MX Board 6.0 is a luxurious machine with a sleek design and amazingly comfortable keys.
Source(tom's)

LTT's coverage:
MaxPC's article

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
Because they said so
rolleyes.gif

Hey guys I'm going to release the world's first keyboard with DetachableArmRest technology next week! Get your cheques ready!

·
(not)New to Overclock.net
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

How is nkro new technology?
It sounds like they hired Apple's marketing department.
rolleyes.gif

·
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetToTheChopaa View Post

rolleyes.gif
Or Razer's.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post

Because they said so
rolleyes.gif

Hey guys I'm going to release the world's first keyboard with DetachableArmRest technology next week! Get your cheques ready!
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

Or Razer's.
You guys... nkey-rollover is just part of the new tech, its not a new feature. The main improvement of this tech is the massive latency reduction.

I suggest you watch LTT's yt vid, Slick does a pretty good job explaining it.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas View Post

Hmmm....

Might pick one up. Not sure what colour stems I would go for though.
You mean what switch color?

I suggest you go try out some keyboards in your local PC-hardware store.

or you could get a cherry mx tester sample, but imo they don't give a very good idea of how they are to type on.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

You mean what switch color?

I suggest you go try out some keyboards in your local PC-hardware store.

or you could get a cherry mx tester sample, but imo they don't give a very good idea of how they are to type on.
Yes, the switch colour.

I don't really need to try some out, not that any PC hardware store around here would have any to try. I have quite a few mechanical keyboards, some of which are listed in my build.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
This video is very informative, it explains perfectly why marketing videos should not be published without the permission of an engineer.

First, 'analog' is completely irrelevant to the consumer, because the switches only have two positions: on and off. If you want to use an ADC to demux all the keys you put on one input pin, that's your business, but it has zero inherent advantage over a digital read, because the signal is discrete.

Second, The datasheet for those switches says they bounce for up to 5ms at 16in/s actuation speed. Essentially, after you first register a keypress, you have to wait 5ms before you know if it's a press and hold or a press and release. Now, you might have several bounces within that 5ms, so if you take instantaneous reads you have a maximum latency of 5ms, but if you attach an interrupt and listen continuously, you might only have to wait for tens to hundreds of microseconds(depends on the switch) to know for sure the switch isn't bouncing. If you do hardware debouncing, you can make the pin's value persist through however long the bounce takes, cut the maximum latency down by whatever the longest bounce is for that particular switch, and eliminate the need for interrupts. As for NKRO, you can do that with a digital controller as well, it's just a question of the board being designed for it, and the microcontroller having enough IO pins for your chosen method.

tl;dr: you can engineer the latency under 1ms with NKRO without an analog to digital converter. Marketing is just trying to talk up their product by comparing it to garbage keyboards you can buy for $5.

Unfortunately I don't know any reviewers that actually test the latency of keyboards. Not too complicated but it does require getting access to the keyboard's PCB in order to snoop or simulate a key press. As for required test hardware, an arduino or raspberry pi would work, so it's not particularly expensive.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post

Hmmm.. wonder if I could make it start smoking once I begin coding.

P.S. It's not mechanical, but I've found this Dell KB 522 to be a perfect coding board. It's über fast. It's perfect.
That Dell KB is so smooshy. I have that sitting in my drawer and using a Ducky Blue instead.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Pretty nice, at least visually. Skeptical of the magic nkro sauce though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post

Because they said so
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

Or Razer's.
NKRO isn't supposed to be possible over USB but somehow they got it to do that here.

I'm hoping they do a really indepth examination of the keyboard.

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

You guys... nkey-rollover is just part of the new tech, its not a new feature. The main improvement of this tech is the massive latency reduction.

I suggest you watch LTT's yt vid, Slick does a pretty good job explaining it.
My DetachableArmRest technology removes extra fast as well
rolleyes.gif

1 - 20 of 65 Posts