Overclock.net banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Just wonder if AMD or Intel will get their chips in stock first? Maybe by New Years lol
Hi,
Betting amd is first
Intel was looking more like mid February :/

·
Hardware Princess
1,849 Posts
Hi,
Betting amd is first
Intel was looking more like mid February :/
I agree, I can find 3950/60/70X out there (for +50% msrp) but no 10980XE anywhere

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
I agree, I can find 3950/60/70X out there (for +50% msrp) but no 10980XE anywhere
Hi,
Unless micro center ends up with either I doubt I'd consider anywhere else
Maybe BestBuy since they were only a hair above 10980xe = 1000.99

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
B&H Photo finally charged the card and shows item as processing shipment from warehouse/in stock. It only took a freaking month..
Go figure! Just after I returned everything too! :rolleyes:

Doesn't show in stock now though...

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
Hi,
Local micro center showed a 3960x this morning.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I got two different emails from Newegg.ca last two days saying it was in stock. Gone both times by the time I got on their site.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
it was for the 10980XE

Gave up trying to get a 3970x
Norway is "flooded" with 3960x and 3970x Threadrippers in stock :)

The question is: Do you want to game with the computer. If no, go for 3960x. If yes, 10980xe will be the best "full package" cpu when overclocked, with tweaked 4000mhz+ memory. Good for rendering AND games.

PS:

Started to compare my old 7980xe @ 4600mhz with 4000 c16 tweaked mem VS a 3960x TRX on a Norwegian forums. Looks like my old 7980xe "crushes" the 3960x cpu in cpubound games. We only tried Farcry 5 @ 1440p now , but the results is not very good for 3960x. Memorylatency is almost 80ns on 3960x oc VS 50ns on 7980xe OC.

Hoping for more results for the 3960x later.

https://www.diskusjon.no/topic/1782...ipper-tråden/?do=findComment&comment=25193281

·
Registered
946 Posts
Norway is "flooded" with 3960x and 3970x Threadrippers in stock :)
I had two different etailers take my money for board and chip (3970x) only to have both cancel about a week after. Already had ram and two new nvme pcie4 drives. Waterblock for the chip. Sent it all back. Don't plan on trying again.

Maybe get a 10980xe or if Intel breaks on the price of the 3175x maybe that route.

It's all up in the air right now.

·
Overclocker in training
14,314 Posts
I had two different etailers take my money for board and chip (3970x) only to have both cancel about a week after. Already had ram and two new nvme pcie4 drives. Waterblock for the chip. Sent it all back. Don't plan on trying again.

Maybe get a 10980xe or if Intel breaks on the price of the 3175x maybe that route.

Hi,
That bites man
So getting another 18 core for half price maybe.

I'm passing for now maybe later but no time soon for anything on either.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

I jumped on the W-3175X wagon. I got the CPU and Asus Dominus Extreme off eBay used for a little lower price, althought it ended up costing a bit more than AMD TR 3970X+Zenith II locally due to the import taxes. :p But I was kinda drooling over these parts in the beginning of the year, and wanted to test it. One thing was that a lot of the Dominus mobos had a CPU00 code issue, but this one I got works out of the box.

And now I noticed I would need a new case as the Dominus will not even fit into my Phanteks Enthoo Primo which I like very much. And the rule at home is that 'it needs to be a white case'. Oh well...at least now I got a cool benching rig on my Dimastech bench. :D

• Rep+
Reactions: Hydroplane

·
Registered
946 Posts
I jumped on the W-3175X wagon. I got the CPU and Asus Dominus Extreme off eBay used for a little lower price, althought it ended up costing a bit more than AMD TR 3970X+Zenith II locally due to the import taxes. :p But I was kinda drooling over these parts in the beginning of the year, and wanted to test it. One thing was that a lot of the Dominus mobos had a CPU00 code issue, but this one I got works out of the box.

And now I noticed I would need a new case as the Dominus will not even fit into my Phanteks Enthoo Primo which I like very much. And the rule at home is that 'it needs to be a white case'. Oh well...at least now I got a cool benching rig on my Dimastech bench. :D
Got an email from Newegg.ca this morning. 3970x in stock, so i said I will give it one more shot, lol. They took my money right away so see if i get shipping notice later this week. Maybe a late christmas for me.

·
do not touch my butt
268 Posts
B&H has a bunch in stock. The 10920x says "in stock" but the button has changed to "preorder" so i assume that one is gone. but they have 10900x in stock for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finally got my 10980xe. Proceeded to take apart my rig to upgrade to the EVGA x299 Dark with the 10980xe. In a very anticlimactic fashion the board did not even post to bios; gave out 3 beeps and post code 'dF'

When i bought the x299 Dark in October EVGA's website and forum said that the new Cascade Lake X CPUs will post to bios on these boards and at least enable bios flashing. I guess perhaps the board i got shipped had an even older bios where this wasn't even possible?

After getting in touch with EVGA support they did confirm some "very very few" x299 Dark boards have this issue, and will send a replacement BIOS chip with newest firmware already loaded for me to swap.

So i guess still more waiting for me to freaking run this accursed 10980xe! /sigh

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
^Interesting - I didn't see any in stock at B&H.. but of course I cancelled my pre-order and returned all my X299 parts since I thought the CPU won't be available until Feb. 2020.

·
do not touch my butt
268 Posts
^Interesting - I didn't see any in stock at B&H.. but of course I cancelled my pre-order and returned all my X299 parts since I thought the CPU won't be available until Feb. 2020.
They sold out very quickly. No telling how many were in stock. 10? 100? 1000?

·
Registered
184 Posts
They sold out very quickly. No telling how many were in stock. 10? 100? 1000?
Must've been. I stuck it out with my pre-order and received the CPU on Tuesday the 24th of December so i guess it took them little over 3 weeks to receive whatever number of the CPUs that they got on initial supply.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts