Overclock.net banner

901 - 920 of 937 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
46,701 Posts
How's the 2080 trash it has all of a Vega 64 features except for HBCC including the Vega 64 promised cough(Primitice shader) Mesh Turing Shader and variable rate shading.
Because it's a $700+ GPU offering nothing compared to 1080 Ti performance wise. Yeah maybe in the future games will use Turing features but I would not hold my breath.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,293 Posts
Because it's a $700+ GPU offering nothing compared to 1080 Ti performance wise. Yeah maybe in the future games will use Turing features but I would not hold my breath.
If a 2080 offers nothing compared to a 1080 Ti what does a $700 Radeon VII offer compared to a 1080 Ti?

·
PC Evangelist
46,701 Posts
If a 2080 offers nothing compared to a 1080 Ti what does a $700 Radeon VII offer compared to a 1080 Ti?
Gaming Performance? Nothing. We all know people hate on VII and my argument here is not saying VII is good. All I am saying is 2080 is just as bad, in a way even worse coming from the market leader.

·
Zen
1,107 Posts
Gaming Performance? Nothing. We all know people hate on VII and my argument here is not saying VII is good. All I am saying is 2080 is just as bad, in a way even worse coming from the market leader.
2080 could have been better if a thing called gaming laptops didn't exist. It probably got designed in a way that it could be also be fitted into gaming laptops, along with 12nm limitations, we got something that is only a slight better than 1080ti.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,784 Posts
The RTX 2080 and the Radeon VII are both trash and are selling like trash. Trash that can only match a 3 year old card. We should expect more then rehashes at higher prices to boot!

The 2080Ti is the trash can. The Titan RTX is the trash lid and serves as a lid to a coffin. Any more of these glutenous instances will kill this hobby.

Ok, I got that off my chest as I sit here and wait for reason to wash over both AMD and Nvidia, maybe Intel will... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..........

·
sudo apt install sl
7,293 Posts
The RTX 2080 and the Radeon VII are both trash and are selling like trash that can only match a 3 year old card. We should expect more then rehashes at higher prices to boot!

2080Ti is the trash can and trashes all over this hobby.

Ok, I got that off my chest as I sit hear and wait for reason from both AMD and Nvidia, maybe Intel will... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..........
Intel will also disappoint you if you're just looking for gaming performance. If you're not excited about AI hardware, you're going to be disappointed for quite a long time.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,784 Posts
Intel will also disappoint you if you're just looking for gaming performance. If you're not excited about AI hardware, you're going to be disappointed for quite a long time.
Yes, the battle cries are out and it seems a lot of professionals in the field are saying that performance bumps will be a lot harder to come by after 7nm as they're realizing that they are hitting a wall of sorts.

That is ok though, they will have 5 years or so to figure it out till PS6 and XBone whatever comes out. They already know what they will use after silicone. I've read many hypothesis in journals as what they could use and what was being considered and worked on. At least you can go ask the military as they are at least 20 years ahead. I think they are at least 50 years ahead in black budgets. No need to worry as everything is developed for the military complex first and then trickles down to us.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,293 Posts
Yes, the battle cries are out and it seems a lot of professionals in the field are saying that performance bumps will be a lot harder to come by after 7nm as they're realizing that they are hitting a wall of sorts.

That is ok though, they will have 5 years or so to figure it out till PS6 and XBone whatever comes out. They already know what they will use after silicone. I've read many hypothesis in journals as what they could use and what was being considered and worked on. At least you can go ask the military as they are at least 20 years ahead. I think they are at least 50 years ahead in black budgets. No need to worry as everything is developed for the military complex first and then trickles down to us.
Military is way far behind, you should look at NASA for future technology. The next large leap will most likely be 4D transistors followed by silicon carbide.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,784 Posts
Military is way far behind, you should look at NASA for future technology. The next large leap will most likely be 4D transistors followed by silicon carbide.
NASA is a joke, losing the moon telemetry data and even the technology to go back to the moon. I mean how does things like that happen?

·
PC Evangelist
46,701 Posts
NASA is a joke, losing the moon telemetry data and even the technology to go back to the moon. I mean how does things like that happen?
Because it never happened :D. You cant lose what you do not have.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
As a consumer you buy the best product for your needs. Out of the two the RTX 2080 provides the better gaming experience. I bought my Radeon VII for ROCm and Mac. Not for gaming, if I wanted a card just for gaming, without hesitation I would of bought the RTX 2080.
:rolleyes:

That's the kind of bold statement that should be reserved for a card that beats its rival by a LOT more than just 5% overall (or less, depending on what review you are reading).

1. It has less features - The only feature of note that the 2080 has over the RVII is Nvidia's very limited ray-tracing functionality, a feature that is about as useful on the 2080 as the 16GB of HBM2 on the RVII (which in and of itself is a feature the RVII has over the 2080)
2. It cost the same as a RTX 2080 - A quick perusal of Amazon shows that the vast majority of 2080's for sale are far more expensive than the RVII's (generally around $800 vs $700). MSRP is not the same as actual retail pricing.
3. It runs hot - The RVII only really runs "hot" when overclocked. Out of the box it runs at perfectly acceptable temps.
4. it's loud - It is loud (though the fan curve issues early on have mitigated this issue somewhat). If noise levels are your primary concern then the 2080 is a better choice, but most people don't care that much about noise (and the RVII is a great WC candidate).
5. It uses too much power - RVII uses more power than the 2080 does, but where do you get the idea that it uses "too much" power? Its not like its sucking down 600W or anything...
6. It's overall 5% slower than a RTX 2080 - To be honest, +/- 5% is nearly within margin of error territory and is in no way so much of an advantage as to make one product un-purchasable.

The Radeon VII is absolutely close enough to the 2080 in pure gaming performance to warrant consideration from non-fanboys, and anyone who makes the claim that the 2080 is just so much better than the RVII that it renders the AMD card irrelevant is just a fanboy themselves.

·
Have you seen my Baseball
864 Posts
Whats wrong with the ryzen CPUs?

How can you compare a perfect affordable multithread CPU with something like Vega?
And what's wrong with vega? The 56 and 64 are both affordable. Calling the ryzen cpus perfect is also ridiculous. They're good, but do not beat intel in gaming, yet.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,293 Posts
/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

That's the kind of bold statement that should be reserved for a card that beats its rival by a LOT more than just 5% overall (or less, depending on what review you are reading).

1. It has less features - The only feature of note that the 2080 has over the RVII is Nvidia's very limited ray-tracing functionality, a feature that is about as useful on the 2080 as the 16GB of HBM2 on the RVII (which in and of itself is a feature the RVII has over the 2080)
2. It cost the same as a RTX 2080 - A quick perusal of Amazon shows that the vast majority of 2080's for sale are far more expensive than the RVII's (generally around $800 vs $700). MSRP is not the same as actual retail pricing.
3. It runs hot - The RVII only really runs "hot" when overclocked. Out of the box it runs at perfectly acceptable temps.
4. it's loud - It is loud (though the fan curve issues early on have mitigated this issue somewhat). If noise levels are your primary concern then the 2080 is a better choice, but most people don't care that much about noise (and the RVII is a great WC candidate).
5. It uses too much power - RVII uses more power than the 2080 does, but where do you get the idea that it uses "too much" power? Its not like its sucking down 600W or anything...
6. It's overall 5% slower than a RTX 2080 - To be honest, +/- 5% is nearly within margin of error territory and is in no way so much of an advantage as to make one product un-purchasable.

The Radeon VII is absolutely close enough to the 2080 in pure gaming performance to warrant consideration from non-fanboys, and anyone who makes the claim that the 2080 is just so much better than the RVII that it renders the AMD card irrelevant is just a fanboy themselves.
Where are you getting your info from regarding noise/heat?

Do you have a Radeon VII? It's loud, it's hot and after undervolting it, the card still thermal throttles unless the fan is set to 3850 RPM. I haven't touched my desktop while I wait for my EK block which I'm picking up tomorrow since DHL doesn't know how to deliver a package. The junction temp is always at 110c with the stock cooler even when undervolted unless it's modified or the fan is at the highest speed.

Where do I get the idea it uses too much power? With my 6700k @ 4.2ghz stock I used a power monitor to test power usage from the wall. Total system power draw is 366w when running Furmark. When overclocking HBM and undervolting the system power draw is 410w and when playing Overwatch Total system power draw is 470w with the overclocked/undervolted settings. Clearly voltage goes up when increasing the HBM clock and the voltage can't be controlled.

A 5870 was still the obvious choice even though the GTX 480 outperformed the 5870 and crushed it in DirectX 11 titles.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Where are you getting your info from regarding noise/heat?

Do you have a Radeon VII? It's loud, it's hot and after undervolting it, the card still thermal throttles unless the fan is set to 3850 RPM. I haven't touched my desktop while I wait for my EK block which I'm picking up tomorrow since DHL doesn't know how to deliver a package. The junction temp is always at 110c with the stock cooler even when undervolted unless it's modified or the fan is at the highest speed.

Where do I get the idea it uses too much power? With my 6700k @ 4.2ghz stock I used a power monitor to test power usage from the wall. Total system power draw is 366w when running Furmark. When overclocking HBM and undervolting the system power draw is 410w and when playing Overwatch Total system power draw is 470w with the overclocked/undervolted settings. Clearly voltage goes up when increasing the HBM clock and the voltage can't be controlled.

A 5870 was still the obvious choice even though the GTX 480 outperformed the 5870 and crushed it in DirectX 11 titles.
100w in oc as a spike it is more than ok, with overclock I mean (I don't get why oc a 1000mhz hbm2 with plenty of bandwidth though).....so...... I don't see any real shame.....pick a 2080 and oc it and you won't be very fall from that numbers.....

110 tjunction at stock? well, seems a bit high, you have a loosen cooler or a terrible thermal pad installation or you play in a oven

A single card is not a line up (otherwise turing cards are faulty and will be a terrible value on used market, all of them, ALL....this is a faulty logic son).... nowadays people wc cards just to don't have 15-30 mhz of thermal trottling so, what you complain about?

·
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.
1,274 Posts
Anybody talking about this in the thread yet?

Isn't even that good of an overclock, and the graphs speak for themselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
And what's wrong with vega? The 56 and 64 are both affordable. Calling the ryzen cpus perfect is also ridiculous. They're good, but do not beat intel in gaming, yet.
I called it a perfect affordable multithread CPU. Because that is what it is. Its better than Intel in terms of MT Performance/Price while achiving around the same efficiency. So in this usecase its better than Intel (considering the price).

Now we know what ryzen is good at (shoudnt you know it before?).

Now tell me what is Vega 2 good at? I mean beside turning energy into heat.

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
"Close enough" would only tip the scale if you are "AMD fanboy".

If you are unbiased, you should choose the 2080.
When presented with two chairs, you sit on the one that is most comfortable for you, not the one that is "just not as good, but almost" just in the name of principle, and sometimes feel a little bit off when sitting, knowing, that you could be so much more comfortable on the chair you should have chosen in the first place.

If the games you play are not tipping the scale to AMD, but play a verity of games, then "close enough" is not good enough.

Simple as that.

Any other choice is based on preferability. You like brand A or brand B. haagen daz or b&j. You like AMD or Nvidia.
If that is a legitimate choice, than the claims of "fanboy" targeted at one brand while reseting it about another, are absolutely stupid.
But those are subjective choices. If you want to be objective, then it is simple. Choose the one that is first place, not second best.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
He is saying that with a 5% difference you and noone won't feel any difference in the two seats.....simple as that.

901 - 920 of 937 Posts